Work in Progress

Mr Glad Grind`s 15mm Foundry

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Dec 2015, 15:28

Yes. a slight down size this time,as the plans are sketched out onto paper card,and then scribed out. The building plans have been in my head for years,and having plenty of scrap iron on site, i thought it apt to make a start. The scratch built building is one made up of various asbestos sheeting,with an end wall of rendered up brick blocks. It will also have a rendered up brick office bloke,that has windows and a small chimney. There will be two blast furnace chimney stacks that will tower way above the roof of this rather grim place.The length of the building is ten inches,by two and a half inches in width and height. Factory type windows are to be set into the slopping part of the roof. However tiny lights will be fitted inside for night time viewing. Two of the metal shutters in the doorways have been raised so a glimmer of the working side of this place can be on view. Also the small office door will be cut so as to enable it to open inwards. So a tiny figure can be placed either entering or indeed leaving that section of the building. Other small figures will be dotted in and about the place. A backdrop of scratch built tree`s will be spaced out at the back of Glad Grind`s Foundry giving both height and adding to the illusion of greater width to this place,which is a facade of this smokey noisy place.

The time period is the 1940`s to early 1960`s.

Sections of damaged asbestos .

Supporting walls have been glued in place.

The roof goes on later today.

When finished and painted in black gloss the paper card will soak it up ,and eventually when dry it will be tougher than any plastic card.
This model will be placed right at the back of my railway layout. See Ya.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Dec 2015, 02:56

1/100 scale = 15mm models

BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Dec 2015, 08:06

Look forward to see these tinies finished!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Dec 2015, 23:07

Gunnar,I will be painting some of the 15mm armoured stuff up real soon.

Mrs B,has found the Wood Dye i want to try out on them in my stash. It will be a radical way of painting that`s for sure. They could go into meltdown. I have used this system to produce rust on the grey plastic corrugated modeling sheets for factories and metal fences before. Also on plastic embossed stonework sheets.A reaction of plastic to the Wood Dye and also at the same time the Wood Dye to the Acrylic paint.

As for this Topic.

These tiny plastic railway figures that I bought by the hundreds a couple of years ago I will use on this little project. 100 for £1.40. Gastly figures from China i know,but I have converted many of them for my needs. Some of which have been seen on the Forum in past days gone by. The ones in the sitting down pose will be guys on their tea break or fishing over the railway bridge. He, he.

The figures are 15mm scale coming in at 17mm but are eceptable to use. Measuring as the rules state foot to eye level. If need be i can shorten them by cutting a piece out of the legs. I will convert most into workers in the tiny foundry. A something i have done many times over for figures on my railway layout.
Work has gone well on the tiny foundry and Mr Glad Grind is happy to have heard that two brand new blast furnaces will also be installed soon,along with cheap Chinese imports that need the work. These will be viewed through the open doorways,and also the building will lift off the base much like my HoneyWell Railway Station does. So the Shop Floor layout can be viewed along with the tiny fellows that work there too.

At present I`m making the glass for the windows to the roof. That`s what can be seen on the glass cutting board. A couple of days more,and i can then make the windows up for the roof.
Well thanks for stopping by. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Dec 2015, 16:35

The window frames are cut out for the roof. They are placed ,but not fixed into place.

After 4 coats of P V A Glue .The Window Glass is ready to lift off the cutting board.

It`s easy to lift off. Mrs B, helped by taking the photo.

Turned over you can see the rippled frosted glass now. The Frames are placed as an illustration only. They will painted then stuck in place. Once set they will be cut out. Perfect for tinny factory wiNdows.

Coming next making the two Furaces. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 14 Dec 2015, 18:37

Sometimes you type to fast Paul! "Factory widows" is something else as what you want to say, I guess? :-D

The glass looks fantastic! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Dec 2015, 19:35

Puzzelment! An N is missing . As you are a Moderator you could kindling fix that for me.

I guess i do type fast with my one good finger,and have no real aptitude for it,but writing does keep my bank ballance well and truly on the up. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 14 Dec 2015, 19:45

Fixed! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Dec 2015, 03:08

Here is the benefit from scribing with an ordinary pen. When painted all that work is well worth while.
The inside was painted too in enamel paint.

It`s all ready for a dry brushing that will finish the work. The two spouts front and back will be fitted next then the air pipes.

Plans are changed now for this scratch build it being the case bright or otherwise,that the foundry will be expanded in order to model a complete shop floor incorporating two Blast Furnaces already nearing completion. Plus metal being tapped out into large ladles,and workers included in the scheme of things. It`s still not that massive coming in a little over an An 4 Size Piece of Paper.

There will be an large open entrance between the two furnaces.

Just a couple of walls to do. Then the roofing.

Showing the principles of the workings of such things. My furnaces are based upon the real ones i saw with my own eyes at, Barnards, Barns & Pye, Jays Foundry, Hoppor Engineering, Laurence & Scott Electromotors Ltd, All Norwich Foundry`s. The time period for my layout the 1940`s to early 1960`s.
There are no Foundry`s left in the City.
The outside yard will be modeled showing where the Scrape iron,the Pig Iron,the Coke and Lime Chippings are fed by a controlled bucket tipping the stuff into the furnace stakes.
There will be a railway line out back. Rusty tin fences,and an awful lot of memories,
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Dec 2015, 03:11

The spouts and two pipes fitted are attached to the furnaces.Sorry for any confusion. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jan 2016, 09:02

A touch more work has been accomplished on greedy hand rubbing , Glad Grim`s Foundry.

The outer walls have been mapped out and scribed,so now i must do likewise on the other sides.

The windows in the roof have been a complete success,and these will not show scratches that will show up on photograughs,unlike the off the peg plastic does.

Using stuff from the railway that i already have,i`ve used coal on the Office roof. Then dry brushed it. to assimilate the rooftop of my bathroom extension on my old house in the city where i lived near on 30 years before moving to Fiddle Wood, and a new life with my Mrs B. That was 17 years ago. My how time fly`s by.

The two Furnaces are finished and need painting now. Once they tower up through the foundry roof,an extension will be added on top,which will have platform to feed iron into the Furnace tops.

BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 10 Jan 2016, 17:48

Very good, Paul.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jan 2016, 01:00

Thanks Jan,i`ve been wishing to do this project for years,and the ongoing work is going well.
This is in part a project of Social History,and of the Glad Grinds,that wore good men down.

Steel angle beams will be fixed onto the inner walls. Also aiding roof support .Although made from much thinner paper card,they are remarkably strong.The plain card cut-outs , have now all been scribed and can be seen below.

Other beams will be as if concreted into the floor. These will be for the overhead cranes, that enabled them to run the entire length and width of the shop floors. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 13 Jan 2016, 09:05

Beano Boy, this project becomes more and more interesting. I love those foundry furnaces you are building there, and look forward to see the final results. (I hope this factory becomes bigger and bigger, not only in your head but on the cutting table as well!) Your buildings seem to fit both the model railway as the gaming table. It also reminds me of a movie by Sam Packinpah: Cross of Iron, with an impressive battle scene inside of a factory.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Jan 2016, 15:14

Great Looking Ears,by the way Mr . Cryns.
This 15mm building is being extended ,and a mid section is now under way. Once these sections and inner walls have had their steel beams stuck into place,then the plans for the outer walls can be mapped out.
Thanks for the interest,and comment. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 13 Jan 2016, 15:22

BB, do you know the meaning of these ears?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jan 2016, 01:27

As to the ears : Often in an educational way others Sign at the Congregation Meetings. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Work in Progress