Tutorials

Ancient Egyptian,Greek and Roman Columns

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Oct 2015, 14:17

Guilhem thank you for your comment on my columns.You can`t really go wrong in making ruins,but some of the castings came out of the moulds near perfect,so i had use dynamite on e`m. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 19 Oct 2015, 20:43

Paul wrote:and you have to be prepared to deal with a few difficulties with the construction...and that it´s about as historically accurate in portraying the Parthenon as the film Braveheart is in relation to the Story of William Wallace.

Here´s the Thing built with a critique of the kit;
http://paulsbods.blogspot.de/2015/09/th ... aleri.html

In that scale I'm not interested anymore! Good review Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Oct 2015, 22:12

Referring to the Parthenon Kit!
The Roof is Shambolic! :shock: :shock: :shock: Whoever designed it was totally confused 100%.

I know for certain,that i would be totaly confused 200% trying to put that pile of plastic together.
:read: "Very true BB."_____ :cowboy: " YES i Second That."______" :-D Gee,Thanks Guys."

As for my ruins,which are not the Parthenon,
or indeed any other remains that still stand,lean,flop or fall,
i need no roof. Great! :-D
So everyone can see past whats left of the columns and right through and out the other side.
One can even peer way down from on high ,and imagine the roof if there is a liking to do so.
i know In my minds eye,
it is the scene that i will set up within the building that is the important factor of the whole project.
Which is to be a setting for another Tall Tale! :-D Have fun.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Nov 2015, 13:07

Always Aim to Shock

( Another Temple 4 Another Time & Place. )

The Wash made from Acrylic Dark Green Paint has been allowed just to run in its natural course down each statues. It will dry much lighter.
__ :read: "It did too BB"__ :cowboy: "Yippy! Pards.I`ve seen the Test Shots."

Another Brighter Green Wash to be applied in a similar way with a smaller brush,and the effect though quite radical which i wish to create will be finished. Then its down to constructing several sets for story telling. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Nov 2015, 13:14

Hi Guys i should have placed the above posting on Egyptain Ruins my other topic,but no harm done it`s all rock chippings anyway. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 28 Nov 2015, 15:05

I don't understand why green? You mean like moss in jungle?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Nov 2015, 15:21

YIP! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by sberry on 29 Nov 2015, 10:47

Hi everybody,
I just came across this site here - slightly off topic, but it's about columns and stuff, too: http://www.mattsimmonds.com/gallery_1.html
Absolutely fascinating. No idea about the scale(s), but some of this work might actually be populated by some of our beloved 1/72 figures ...
sberry  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Nov 2015, 17:39

sberry ,thanks for your input others might like the link too. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 May 2017, 17:51

A New Two Part Mould made in a LEGO BOX! Total Cost £5.50 UK Stirling

My own flat clay Patterns will help produce four sided Capital Patterns for three more types of ancient column.

Greco - Roman

Corinthian 5 Inch Column made yesterday Retro Pattern 1960`s.
A 7 Inch Corinthian Column to be modeled as soon as deliveries arrive.
Half castings for wall fixings can be produced using these moulds.

Although produced for my fantasy story`s,these would match up with those columns seen in the photograph. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by PhilC on 20 May 2017, 18:27

I love your posts BB, I laugh from the beginning to the end AND I admire the result !!!
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 May 2017, 08:12

Veryinterestingwordthis, but not a riddle.
However history often is. I found evidence some capitals were three sided.So I`ll have a bash at producing those constant ongoing oddities fit enough for any Beano Boy. No glue needed just cunning devious sly.

( The Asterix project is still ongoing too,but I am waiting delivery of Norfolk Fax to do the actual roofing.)

TAT- TAH BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 May 2017, 13:13

Making Another Using an Odd Side
Having a need for 38 Columns I decided on making another mould very quickly.
Here is how I did it.

One half of the first mould will help make another. So this one above is the odd side, as we call it in Engineering Design.

The Pattern is slipped back into place and the LEGO BOX built up around and above it. This method avoids messing about with clay,finding and cutting halfway joints ,and placing guidance pegs. This will work on any designed Pattern already moulded.

So here above that first half of the second mould is in the bottom,and all the pegs and halfway points were formed without any skill required. Now the top just needs silicone rubber filling to form, yes my second completed mould. So I can finish my casting up process in half the time.

I have seen some silly fools on You Tube messing about with lumps of clay to embed patterns in.
So thought to show this "How To Do It."
This process can be used for any number of extra moulds needed. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 May 2017, 17:12

:sst: " the first one of many arrived 10 mins after BB spilt the stuff into that grey thing."

:mrgreen: " And over Mrs B`s clean floor."

:read: " The ancient mix method of rub the salt in and spare the toes certainly applied ."

:cowboy: "Reinforcement rods duly planted too with that glug glug stuff here. "

:coffee: " Yes I believe in overkill.
Reinforced rods just in case one topples and falls and fails and breaks in the Royal Mail."

:sst: " well it was certainly a good day for mixing it."

:mrgreen: " Yah! Salt & All!"

:coffee: " Well it might go against the grain with some that I know of,but it makes for a granite hard glogging mixture__________________ after the quick stirring wind up of it." :winky: "YAH!"

AND SO THE REAL FUNTIME BEGINS.

It popped out easily upon the bed of Bubble Wrap!
A couple of tiny air bubbles.

These will do fine.

With a brave smile.i thank you Phil, for you nice comment. BB

Here I have made the Odd Side needed for the 7 inch Corinthian Column.

The Pattern was fixed into the LEGO BOX, up to the halfway point,and duly filled with Plaster of Paris.

The Patterns have to be placed in a diamond shape position,because this will allow a clean lift off its Ornate Capital, leaving me with a good sound solid casting.

The little paint tubes come in handy to stick in to form the holes.

:sst: "bb,never throws anything away that might be of use later."
:mrgreen: :read: :cowboy: :winky: :-D " Very true." They all agreed

A quick tidy up later and the first larger Column, will be well fit for the moulding production line.

So the guide holes are set into the plaster too. These will make sure the actual silicone finished mould goes together perfectly everytime I use it. Magic.

Well it has been a quite a busy Sunday modeling, and typing this.
:coffee: "It`s time for Tea. See you guys later." BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 May 2017, 23:37

Here are just a few columns of success , and there being always Plaster of Paris left over after pouring I have been casting up my version of Lego type fun time things. So no waste. However I am running out of space to put them,but solved it as you can see.
:mrgreen: " BB, must have fun along any pathway."

So Bluefalchion the modelling production line is spitting out very affordable clean cut castings fit enough for any ancient temple one could think of. I am working on the ornate tiled flooring too. The ancient steps I made two years ago.

:sst: "bb is very busy indeed." said the little button____ :cowboy: " Although Rome was not built in a day." decleared the Cowboy who always sleeps in his boots.
:mrgreen: " Mrs B,refuses to let him spread out any further in his endeavour to fill up more space."
:coffee: " Very true." :winky: "More other types of castings to follow shortly. :eh: "Eh!"

There is a legend that originated on the shores of Atlantis, that there was a place called Greece. However none believed in such a legend. :cowboy: " Far to farfetched if`en ya asking me Pards?"
That`s it for now. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 May 2017, 17:45

Picture enhanced to show the copied detail better. These should look good when dipped!

Half castings. The mould is prepared for casting up by pinning a styrene sheet at either ends. The pins go in at differing angles to make a good strong grip.

The Plaster of Paris, still used by Master Masons, is poured into the middle section and as it runs the air is expelled from both ends.

The stops were removed when the casting was hard ,10 mins, and was turned out onto bubble wrap.

It was placed aside to fully cure and dry out white, and just right for dipping in a wash.

;-) " Why didn`t you use both sides of the mould to make those half castings?"
:mrgreen: " Because the raised pins get in the way if it needs scraping level!" ____ :eh: "Eh!"

BEANO BOY FUN TIME

:read: " It might even be funny enough to raise a smile."
:sst: "lets hope so."
:eh: " I find it far to complicated to smile."
:mrgreen: " Don`t worry about it,many do."

A few rejects.

When making ruins one must sort out the best ruined ones from the worst ruined ones.
:mrgreen: "Hang on a minute BB!"
:read: "Order! Order,Questions will be addressed after!"
:mrgreen: "Opps! OK!"

Just above the round rim on these columns are tiny parts that stick out,and I was determined to reproduce them intact along with the ornate features above.
I solved how to achive this end by placing a flat plate underneath the double sided mould as it stands on end ,with the ornate top on the bottom. Then filling the silicone mould completely.
Working on the bottom, which is on the top,____ :eh: "I`m lost already."
:read: " Order!"
With a brush pushed into the wet mix ,I worked it around all over where the detailed shape is , getting rid of any trapped air . This was then levelled off,and another flat plate placed on top. Sliding it off the work top while holding tight both end plates the mould was turned over. Then placed again on the work table and the plate was removed.Then using the brush again, it was quickly worked around the entire ornate top especially areas where the detail does trap air. A refilling and top levelling was then carried out to finish the casting up process.

:coffee: "Boy,i was glad not to have dropped the thing on Mrs B`s clean floor."

TIME MOVED ON

A little later after I had VAXED the entire house, destroying one of the light shade in the process. I was back typing this. ;-)
Mrs B,asked if I could clean the light shade too,and wishing to do a thorough job of it,i went to it without the tiny brush attachment. Well the pipe end on full sucking up power destroyed that light shade in a second.

:mrgreen: " Only BB,could have thought to do that."

:sst: " true,but he saved the light bulb!"

:read: "It`s Question Time."

:mrgreen: "So the bottom which was the top,is now at the bottom?"

:sst: " and the top which was the bottom is now on top?"

:cowboy: " Crazy,bottom top tip,and crazy top bottom tip!"

:coffee: " Yip!"_____________ :sst: " and it`s all turned over in these top two tips?"

:coffee: " Yes,it most certainly is.

:mrgreen: " And you want the best of the ruins?"

:sst: " and not the worst of the ruins?"

:coffee: "That`s right!"

:cowboy:" Well Pards,I can`t tell the difference ."

:eh: " Eh! wot am bout tha middle?"__________ :mrgreen: "This ones 5 short of a six pack!"

:coffee: " Tha middle stays the same."

:eh: "Eh! But the two ends move?"

:sst: " this might well go on all night." said the little button.

:read: " I have found it makes more sense at odd times not to ask BB, anything."

:mrgreen: " And Mrs B,added it makes more sense not to ask BB, to do anything"
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 30 May 2017, 04:37

The Lego-columns.
Fine small detailed lines and bows of the artists of the very past.
And on top hard edges of simplification and mass production products.
Two way of live in mankind put together.
:-D
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 May 2017, 12:38

Thanks for commenting Wiking. :thumbup: It helps oil up my gears of free expression. :-D

The Lego type Legion for there are many of them,
I stand upon high they drying out quickly to a perfect white,
and under the rim that overshadows each column itself are those patterns by an artist true to form.
An expert Pattern Maker,that copied and placed them ,for such things as long ago Wedding Cakes.
I always have had an open mind to render such things for other uses other than which they were intended for.________It makes possible great fun and abstract creativity. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 May 2017, 15:35

How I Keep My Plastic Pots Clean.
:sst: "it certainly might be helpful."
:mrgreen: " Or possibly not!"

A small plastic lunch bag.

A stack of four pots. and a rubber band.

Another one supplies the water

Water added first

Then the Plaster of Paris

After casting up taken off and duly assigned to the bin. Leaving clean pots. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 May 2017, 03:36

Anubis Columns Egypt

There`s no health & Safety Regulations in Egypt, that`s for sure.
Remember poor Humpty? BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials