Modelling

Chillie Pepper Cobbles

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Nov 2015, 02:21

I have used real stones on my railway,but wanted a different effect.
I had thought to using dried split peas,but they are much to large and uniform. I had thought to use dried Pudding Rice which is not like long grained rice. However finally i used that which is listed below.

You all might be saying Hot Stuff! :-D

Mrs B,didn`t mind me raiding one of the kitchen cuboard`s the other night. I`d been working throughout the night typing pages of a story,and while making some early morning tea,i spied the Tub of Dried Chillie Peppers,and______

BING! The solution came to me how i could make the Cobbles needed for lots of my work.

Paper Card. I covered both sides and edges with PVA Glue,and let the piece of card dry out.

PVA Waterproof Glue,was applied in small areas at a time,and using the pointed tip of a Craft-Knife each of the tiny peppers were put on leaving a tiny gap between each one. There are Chaffy bits that must be seperated from the chillie pile. I did it one teaspoonful at a time, both separating than applying them.

When the complete sample was finished being peppered in chillies,i allowed it to dry out. Then more of the very same Glue was stippled on all over and this sealed the whole thing in waterproof resin. In no time at all it was tacky dry,and i stippled more of the glue on.

"Looking Good!" i thought at the time.

When dry,i stippled White Emulsion Paint all over it. Later another coat was applied in the same way.

It is always the case,you really dont know how it will look until a Wash is applied.____________ Here you see the First Wash Applied.

(The Wash: A small dab of ,Matt Black & Burnt Umber Acrylic Paint mixed with lots of water.)

The great thing i found about the Chillies is they are not all uniform the same shape. So variety is to hand one just has to use it. Perfect for 20mm, 1/72 scale. :-D I hope some might like this.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 04 Nov 2015, 13:50

Very original idea... but don't touch your eyes after working with that stuff :mrgreen:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Nov 2015, 20:25

EYE Ment to Mention The Warning! Thanks Delibor. :thumbup: Top Man.

As it is impossible to see others imagination and get the full sense of it i included this Test Shot to help those see a little of what the bigger picture eventually will be.

It is also possible to make a simple rubber mould and cast pieces required in Plaster of Paris! Or the Dental Stuff! The Pattern would need no straight edges . Painted and Hot Glued in place on the Base Board. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 05 Nov 2015, 22:01

Looks great Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 06 Nov 2015, 00:59

Cool idea!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Nov 2015, 02:17

No Jan,a Red Hot One. :-D Thanks BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 06 Nov 2015, 09:35

If you didn't exist, they'd have to invent you! Always great to see yours BINGs!!
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Nov 2015, 15:03

Thank you Mr.Andrea, for you kind comment upon little old Me! :-D

INVENTED, yes upon the roadway of life.

As for myself I was never one to toe the line so to speak,and so always the rebel was within me right from an early age. Eccentric to a T, self education was for me the only way to learn.
Once I tried to be normal. It was the worst three minutes of my life. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Modelling