Tutorials

Egyptain Ruins

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Sep 2015, 23:52

Thank you Louis.
If I have skills, one would be that I am able to work in utter chaos, and another as an author communication skills which I use on a daily bases. These moulds ,and the castings they produce were borne from my fancy. Borne means that I take, and accept responsibility for my actions. What I have produced are what I would term as, *in-between scale statues.* Meaning 20mm,1/72,and 28mm scale figures could be used by me along with these props and which would not look out of place. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Sep 2015, 19:21

This started off with part of a foot! Now it is___Dizzy Heights a Birds Eye View

Way down there is the Prussian Officer,that Mrs B placed there to give one a little i to the scale of this build. The slight splashes of colour wash will rub off easy.

I cast up the two side way angles yesterday. Reminds me of Fire Bricks! The angle might seem rather acute at present,
but this is a ruff illustration with a sheet of card just placed so you don`t get to see the mess behind it. In actuall fact the statues will stand upon an oblong platform that will have steps leading up to the entrance.So they will be much higher than is seen here. The side angles of chiselled rock face will therefore be moved slightly to the back past the statues bringing the heads nearer the slopping rockface. Than the front with the entrance in the middle will slip slick into place.

So what`s Next? The Front is to be cast up next. Then the raised platform,and finally the base. While these all dry out over a week,the finishing off work will take place on the statues,but I am still at present undecided whether to demolish the second statue on the left to bring the picture in line with the photo most can identify with. The actual Ruff Rock will be last to make,and I might make that out silicone rubber which will be stuck into place on a woven lattice cardboard frame. Finished off with dry sand. That is after all the painting is washed on then powdered.
I need some intrepid explorers perhaps Fred & MayBell. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Sep 2015, 16:23

Opp`s! I forgot to show the Lego Box I used to create the two slopping sides. Lined with Sellotape inside which prevents the plaster from being pushed into the brick insides under pressure of casting up.

It took a Jug full to cast each side up.
15 Heaped Table Spoons of Plaster of Paris added to 750 ML`s of cold water.

The new table looks a mess but I`m working on and casting up on tuff tempered glass sheets that came from an old bookcase that we got rid of. Not Fly Tipped! Legally paid for ,and collected by the Local Council.

Now I`m back to making my Cabbages! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 13 Sep 2015, 21:00

Looks great Paul! :thumbup:

What is the use of washing powder on your table??? Sneaky advertising??? :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Sep 2015, 23:53

Well Peter,Mrs B ,keeps empty tubs for my storage needs,and that one is full of dry sand. Others full of toy figures that arrived in bulk the other day. Trouble is my collection of snap tight tubs is growing,and I need something now to store them in. Which is a share puzzlement for my head to work out.
Wait a minute! Perhapes the North Tower of ONAEB Castle ,will do for storage.

_________________________What Price Are A Few Photo`s Worth?____________________________

There are odd times,when these two Pals take to a Walk About. There are also the oddest of times when I wish them too.

"Fred! Fred! Where are You?"____ "Over here MayBell."____ " Thank Heavens for that. This place is scary!"_______________" Not for to much longer though MayBell."

The end result makes all the required work on props well worthwhile in my book.

I must add now that all the Spooky Egyptian Columns served their need for film & photo`s so were duly re-assigned to the bin.

The Sphinx are all being colour washed. So one element out of three has been finished and gone.
Two still ongoing.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Salaberry on 17 Sep 2015, 02:47

Now this tickles my fancy !!!!
Amazing work, your best on this forum might I add!!

Salaberry
Salaberry  Canada

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Sep 2015, 23:59

Salaberry,thank you for the kind compliment.
Guys this was a third part of my whole summers work. I said to Mrs B," I`m going to get well plastered instead of painting stuff!" Which as it also turned out,is a rather dusty occupation too. Hard work,true! But to help raise a Smile ,One or even two, makes the effort all worthwhile. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Sep 2015, 15:20

The Back which is the Front has been cast-up with Plaster of Paris. It`s rather dull looking here in Fiddle Wood,Norwich,and very damp and Chilly too. As I now gaze upon the outside scene the rain once more is pelting down. All this means the Castings take that much longer to dry out white and quite Light. This has put me way behind my aiming point on the last two eliments of this topic,because you cannot paint damp castings.

A TIP
There is a way to create a drying out box for such castings,that works very much like an oven.It`s a simple box made of wood that has a lid . It`s heated by a low wattage light bulb giving out 100 Watts of light,that is fixed onto the inner side of the lid. Ventilated holes are drilled out througth the sides. It will dry out small casting very quickly, Overnight, but I really have no wish to make one.

As you can see this is quite a stone slab to cast up. True I could have used a sheet of styrofoam,but this is much harder tuff,and very cheap.

There you see along the bottom,that looks like the top,the tiny oblong Lego.that has formed the dead center entrance to this dark place.

It flipped out easy like,leaving some slight trimming to do later around the entrance. This will be turned over to reveal a very flat facing casting,that was produced by pouring the plaster out onto toughened glass. Another Update Soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Sep 2015, 16:44

The Steps Are Cast Up

The Platform is Cast Up

Sitting on the Platform

For illustration purpose they will sit similar to this upon the platform when finish,but will be fixed in place with a bed of plaster. All the casting up is complete now. The Statues are stilling looking ruff,and although now they can be rubbed down to a finish it must be said that i do not do perfect. Never was that my intention.I only wish to produce in an abstract way hopefully something others might recognize.
The Thrones will now be cut and angled at the back by creating more rock chippings ( i ),so the slopping Front Section can be fixed in place,and the entrance edged with stone. Then any gap`s at the back of the Thrones will be filled in with plaster. When dried hard the wedge shaped side rock- faces can be stuck into place using Plaster of Paris,and the steps fixed at the center point of the platform.

Nearing the end now. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Sep 2015, 20:24

Why all my Work?
For This.

On my Sci-Fi Fantasy Table

Like a Bookcase that can carry the weight of many books,holding many an adventure,so a table such as this can become many things.It can become a small part of HoneyWell with its Railway. Or a table top of Rain Forest,or of desert,and of egyptian ruins.Or where huge armies converge on a certain battle point fixed in time, where a Post-milI signals the way is clear, and where Henry`s 8 Sided Tower is a pivot point to the Stars.

Two intrepid friends.

After a Massive Earthquake, Fred ,begins receiving mysterious signals,downloads,that are repairing all his damaged programs on his mainframe computer. With secret files now opened, and repaired,is Fred reverting back to what he once was? As the harmless Snooping begins on BB`s table,it soon becomes apparent that numbers once a great puzzlement to Fred are now driving him forward on a journey that began for him on the very edge of the known universe. The Date 1492 in Earths history has been recognized by his repaired tracking system,and the quest is on. However for Fred although energized and reset upon an old course, the great mystery to him is why? As the two Pals set out together, is it possible that the unit F.R.E.D, that is known as Fred will fail? If so is MayBell now in Perilous Danger? Will the Dalek Return? If so what is the Mission for it now? Above all what happened in 1492?

A Picture of,The Gallery

Upon the steps Fred & MayBell must reason it out. Why the Quest ? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Sep 2015, 15:38

Tutorials was a place for making props,in order to tell story`s. :thumbup: Very Tall Tales! Fred and MayBell go Snooping. BB`s Blog steponejust4fun.Blogspot.com

:read:"Reading the story.Look whats just slid out from a crack in the wall BB." ____ "Yes I Know. My fault I should have filled it in with Polly Filler!" :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Oct 2015, 14:40

:read: BW,the Book Worm,reads on.

It was something ALIVE! WARMING UP perhaps after being asleep for so long.Whatever it was,it was un-coiling and begining to slide out from a dark crack between the stone pillers.MayBell ,was totally unaware of its presence. However Fred,seeing it was becoming very aware of the Danger. The Thing whatever it was seemed to be inflating itself,and uncoiling and growing larger by the second. Eventually it began to turn slowly, perhaps confident in its next meal, MayBell?
It began to rare up to incredible height,and for Fred.it was a share wonderment for never had he seen such a thing,that was now moving into striking range of MayBell. A MayBell, who bussied herself eyeing up the ancient stone walls of this mysterious place,and in doing so had no knowledge of this fearsom creature rising up behind her.
Concerning Fred,his weapons system was always kept intact,and were the useful tools to rid Mrs B`s garden of Slugs and Snails. So MayBell , had witnessed the use of them on many an occasion,so it would be no great suprise to her if Fred fired his Lazer,but what made her near jump out of her skin as she caught sight of that Giant Cobra,was no IT, But_______________Fred`s Battle Cry Directive!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

:read: "My word BB. You certainly are showing how to create a Cliff-Hanger Ending.Here on Tutorials."

To Be Continued__________________________ Hopefully :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Dec 2015, 18:00

As it was at the beginning with Fred & MayBell finding that first casting of a Foot on the 15th of July, I thought it apt to let the two Pals in on the finish of this topic. A Final Twist in the plans and a new direction I decided upon,because I`ve placed my ruins in a vast jungle,in order to tell a story of an odd quest for Fred,within the Fantasy World of Time & Space. Of course MayBell is tagging along too for the ride.

I like the B & W pictures .

Above Fred & MayBell must travel along a seemingly never ending Gallery of ancient stone ,which is invaded by an invasive jungle,and there is no going back on this journey. Just forward into the unknown.

Eventually they have reached the end of that Stone Gallery,and discover the 5.650 year old Temple lost within the jungle. So this topic is now at an end. :read: "Gee! Time Fly`s."____ :cowboy: " YA! You can say that again."____ :read: Gee! Time Fly`s." ______________"OK, Guys."

I used the plastic trays that cream cakes come in, to make lots of castings for the Gallery and for the platforms the stone Sphynx`s stand upon. Artistic Licence.
:-D YIP! Those Cream Cakes were Delightful. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 06 Dec 2015, 08:24

Fancy!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Peter on 06 Dec 2015, 13:26

Some strange looking guides for the tour, but for the rest it looks fanatstic! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 08 Dec 2015, 09:36

cool
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Dec 2015, 13:07

Thank`s to you few steadfast guys on this Forum for your support throughout this topic.
Also thank`s to all those silent visitors who jogged along with every part as i saw fit to plant it here.
Over 4,300 have had a look at this strange part of my hobby. :shock: " How Many?"
True not everybody`s cup of tea,but a look see,is a visit,and so it counts as easy as 1,2 ,three along with those that like the ODDI_________TEA!
These Props,are now all repainted and will be reused with 15 mm figures which will create the illusion of massiveness to that project. True cannot see em ,but i`ll tie them onto a dipping string and dunk them into the paint.
Have Fun. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Dec 2015, 08:25

Oh my! Now I have to place my ruins in a desert! Great job Paul!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Dec 2015, 08:58

Nice one Gunnar. :thumbup: I`ll send you some sand. :-D

:read: "Remember,Nothing is Impossible,Planetshakers."
:cowboy: "That`s right Book Worm." _____ :read: "Or is as it first appears to be"

Catch it on You Tube. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous page

Return to Tutorials