General

Some general information questions from a beginner.

Posted by Codeine on 10 Sep 2015, 00:20

Hi, all!

I've been out of the miniature wargame hobby for many years - I mostly played 28mm and "Epic scale" W40K as well as some 15mm historical stuff, all long since sold off. I recall picking up a few 20mm plastics (Zulus, WW2 infantry) in the 90s and being unimpressed. Plastic 1/72 minis don't seem to be much of a 'thing" here in the USA anyway, so I moved on.

Recently I stumbled on to PSR and liked the look of Caesar's ancients line, so I took a chance and ordered several boxes of Egyptians, Sea Peoples, and chariots. I figured they'd look rough in person but would paint up well enough, especially considering the price.

Boy was I wrong! WOW, these figures are gorgeous! Every bit as nice as 28mm stuff, but without the silly proportions of wargames minis -- these guys look like perfect little humans. I'm really excited to dive into this hobby with both feet. I cannot get over how good my tiny new Sea People look!

But I have some questions -- much of the Caesar ancients line is listed as "Discontinued" on the Miniknights website; does this mean I need to buy up a bunch now to make sure I have them, or are there usually a lot of figures out there in the marketplace? And does Caesar still make new figures?

And speaking of the marketplace, where do you guys buy most of your minis? I got these from Pegasus Hobbies in the United States because they're close to me, but I'd love to get some leads on where you guys shop.

Is there a "state of the industry" opinion? In other words, is this a growing or shrinking hobby?

I'm sure I'll have more silly questions as time goes on, and I'm sorry if I'm being too curious -- I'm just really thrilled right now. :-D
Codeine  United States of America

Posted by PDA on 10 Sep 2015, 01:13

Codeine wrote:... much of the Caesar ancients line is listed as "Discontinued" on the Miniknights website; does this mean I need to buy up a bunch now to make sure I have them, or are there usually a lot of figures out there in the marketplace? And does Caesar still make new figures?

Caesar still makes new figures, but I think there is a "lifespan" on the moulds, so they won't be re-doing their earlier sets (unless they make new moulds, which is super-expensive, so unlikely IMO). So you should buy up a bunch as you see them, because they (probably) won't be coming back. That's also something that's much discussed; people hold off buying a set for some reason, and then when they're ready the set has disappeared. My philosophy is to buy it when I see it (if I like the look of it) and figure out a use for it later on.

Codeine wrote:... And speaking of the marketplace, where do you guys buy most of your minis? I got these from Pegasus Hobbies in the United States because they're close to me, but I'd love to get some leads on where you guys shop.

I don't really use American, Dutch, or German shops because the postage is really expensive. I mainly use Jadar Hobby, Hannants, and Harfields, but on occasion I will use Always Model. But if you are close to a bricks-and-mortar shop, I would use them as much as possible.

Codeine wrote:... Is there a "state of the industry" opinion? In other words, is this a growing or shrinking hobby? ..

Somewhere on PSR you can find production statistics, and allegedly more and more new sets are being produced. However, and this is just a gut feeling, I think "the hobby" is shrinking. It seems to be losing ground to Games Workshop and Flames of War and cannot compare to Halo, Call of Duty, World of Tanks, or even Super Mario. Different scales don't bother me at all - I have 1/300 Greek ships, 15mm SciFi, 1/35 Star Wars,and some charming 28mm pigures - but I think 1/72 plastic has always been every gamers dirty little secret. And the moulds cost so much to make and the boxes sell for so very little; why would any sane businessman consider making 1/72 plastic toy soldiers.
PDA  England

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Sep 2015, 06:36

If you want advice, buy now. Always buy now.

Anything you put off buying will come to haunt you. It'll be discontinued, unobtainable or become a 'collector's piece'.

Michigan Toy Soldier Company are as cheap as any & give good service.

donald

BTW a game you might be interested in seeing:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14421&p=164621&hilit=invasion%21+ochoin#p164621
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by davbenbak1 on 10 Sep 2015, 16:14

In order of use:
Michigan Toy Company
Toy Soldier Company
Hobby Bunker
Toy Soldier HQ

Good luck and welcome to the addiction that is plastic 1/72's
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Codeine on 12 Sep 2015, 07:58

Thanks for your input, guys! Starting my first round of primering -- will post pics in the appropriate area depending on how confident I feel in the results.
Codeine  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 12 Sep 2015, 12:23

Codeine wrote:Thanks for your input, guys! Starting my first round of primering -- will post pics in the appropriate area depending on how confident I feel in the results.

Don't look at the result and post them anyhow. It can help you to improve! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 12 Sep 2015, 13:07

There are some truly expert painters on Bennos....& then there's me. :cry:

If I can post photos, so can you.

cheers, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 12 Sep 2015, 13:37

They are right. At times, new painters have displayed downright horribly painted figures, but the folks on this forum were nothing but gracious and constructive. Keep that in mind when you are deciding...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Sep 2015, 23:05

Slap some paint on those figures of yours Codeine,and post them in,and Welcome to Benno`s Figure Forum. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Benno on 13 Sep 2015, 10:19

My first figures were terrible... but you learn new and better techniques as you go. :-)
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Ochoin on 13 Sep 2015, 12:04

Benno wrote:My first figures were terrible... but you learn new and better techniques as you go. :-)
Our new friend, Codeine, will probably turn out to be a master.

But either way, he's amongst friends & needn't worry about posting.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Xantippos on 07 Jun 2016, 13:22

I always get everything I need in 1/72 and most of my collector's needs from eBay at (usually) dirt cheap prices.

Outside eBay, and inside internet, I have only purchased from Always Model through email contact.

Some sets can get rare and difficult to find, although usually simply they will maybe double the price, but nothing terribly expensive, unlike other collector's items.
Xantippos  

Posted by Green Tiger on 15 Aug 2016, 15:08

My motto is - Buy it when you see it not when you need it - stuff just disappears.
State of the hobby/industry - we seem to be coming out of a golden age; last few years we have been inudated with new sets but this seems to be tailing off somewhat now...
Green Tiger  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Aug 2016, 15:34

My motto should be buy when see, but it isn't and I live with sets that I never will see in real life. But I experienced it before, I didn't buy any sets 1975-1984 so I missed all the Atlantic sets and some late Airfix sets. And as Donald says, There are experts and then him, but he forgot li'l ol' me! :-D So paint and show anything, there are only nice persons here! There are even some extra-nice persons that vote on my competition-entries. :shock:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Xantippos on 16 Aug 2016, 06:57

Lately, I am only buying whatever I am interested at the moment, even if it is more expensive or the product isn't as good or exciting, it is better to buy it when you are really in the move of that historical era or whatever. For example, I see better to buy a WW2 set of soldiers which is not very different or exciting, when I am in the wargame mood of that era, than to buy the best and most interesting type of ancient figures when I am off that era.

Of course, if I see a super bargain I will hardly let it go off.

At least it is how I think now, although I might very well change of idea tomorrow!
Xantippos  

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 19 Aug 2016, 15:51

Caesar figures??? Buy them wherever you find them. In my opinion they are one of the best. I mostly buy at shows or via Harfields. Lucky here are many shows for shopping. Lead models I buy from Hagen Miniatures.
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 19 Aug 2016, 17:05

I started buying from Hannant this year...I ordered and payed on Jun the 3rd, the package arrived to me at June 25th...You will maybe wait a little, but it pays off...
Emperor  

Return to General