Tutorials

Wet palette

Posted by Kekso on 28 Aug 2015, 15:33

It is more useful for larger figures and I'm sure most of you know what it is and have one at home. But I'm testing new paper for wet palette so I decide to make quick tutorial.

So, what is wet palette? It is a box that keeps your acrylic paints and their mixtures wet for hours if not days. It will be more clear when you see it.

Of course, you can always buy one. Company P3 produces one, Masterson Sta-Wet, Daler Rowney, Winsor & Newton etc. You can find them on Amazon, Ebay and many art shops. They aren't that expensive but shipping costs kill the mood for buying it (at least in my case). But we can always make our own for few €/$ and save the rest of money for nice cold glass of beer (several glasses to be more precise ;-) ).

What would you need:

"Special" paper. Above mentioned companies sell refill papers. They also aren't expensive but, again, I don't want to pay postage more than I would pay for paper. Luckily you can use baking paper that is very cheap (around 2€ or more). As I googled, point is to get silicone parchment paper, not waxed paper. Waxed paper start to dissolves after 30 or more minutes in contact with water. For that reason I tested something our German friends call "pauspapier". Sorry, I don't know English word but it is transparent paper used in technical drawing and I found it in office supply store. I paid 0,07€ for A4 sheet. It is enough to make 4 wet palettes (in my case).

Then, plastic box. It has to have some sort of lid so wet pallet can be tight closed when you're not using it. Empty, plastic ice cream box should work fine. For those who don't like ice cream, you can send it to Remco and I'm sure he'll return you empty box :mrgreen:

Some paper towels (or something similar that retains water, like sponge or something).

And finally, you would need a cup of water. I'm sure most of you know how water looks like so I won't upload any photos of it :-D

First step is to fold (cut to size if necessary) paper towels and place them into box. After you place them, soak them generously in water. Don't worry if you put too much water you can always drain excess. Just take care that towels are wet enough and they don't float.

Cut to size and place "special" paper on top of of wet towels. Lighlty press it that paper becomes wet at surface.

Place drops of paint on wet palette.

And finally, mix them (I prefer in circular motion of brush, lighter to darker tones) to get various shades you would need. Here, I did quick mix for painting skintones and faces. It's not the best in the world but I made it just to test paper and to make this tutorial.

Like that your paint mixtures stay wet for much longer time, you have more combinations of shades and you can close box and reuse paints after few days,

I hope you like it. Comments are welcome.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bramble15 on 28 Aug 2015, 15:57

Great tutorial. I have also messed around with a wet pallet. I can 100% attest to the fact that your paint will "stay" for days once on the paper, provided there is water at the bottom. It worked well for me except for the fact that there is an obvious ridge or lip to the container. This means everytime the brush goes for paint I had to lift my hand from its position. I know, feel free to call me lazy!!!!!
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 28 Aug 2015, 16:01

Thanks Rich. I really appreciate your comment. And yes, I'm lazy person too ;)

A small update: English word for that "special" paper is tracing paper (thank you for your help Michael).
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 28 Aug 2015, 16:36

Very useful, indeed! Thanks a lot, Dali! And the Italian word is "carta da lucido".
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Bramble15 on 28 Aug 2015, 17:14

For paper I used Reynolds Parchment Paper found in the local grocery store. Big roll and cheap! In case anyone is interested, my opinion is that if you want to try this out, it is just as effective and cheaper to build your own as opposed to buying one.
Plus as I will once again agree with Dali, I would rather put my savings into a few extra glasses of beer! :thumbup:
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Aug 2015, 15:00

This is very interesting Dalibor, :thumbup: I can remember my friend blucher1815red mentioning how he couldn`t paint because his paints were drying very fast in the heat of the day. This type of mixing and colours would only confuse my painting process, but would I`m sure be of benefit for those fellow painters who have a keen eye for blending colours. :sst: As for the Tracing Paper it brought back old memories of my School Days.Norman School here in Norwich,all Mad Hatter`s one and all. We used JAYS TOILET ROLL,as Tracing Paper because it was made of the same stuff,and our School was rather tight with its budget. Gosh! That 55 years ago. Nothing to do with your topic just old time memories of days long gone past. Beano Boy
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 29 Aug 2015, 20:13

Excellent tutorial Dali! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Only one thing. I doen't work for me. I have put the cans (GW and Revell) in it and only the outside of the cans get wet! What am i doing wrong??? :eh:

:mrgreen: :joker:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Das_Dirch on 31 Aug 2015, 15:53

Good Tutorial, thanks Dali! :thumbup:

Tried it, works. Tip, take out the packed lunch before, tastes otherwise by color. :-D

Peter, have you tried to turn around the cans? :laughing:
Das_Dirch  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Sep 2015, 06:19

Ah! Yes, Why Not? Assorted Flavoured Paint`s! For when you put the wrong end of the brush into your mouth while contemplating what to paint next. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Sep 2015, 08:04

Good stuff.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Tutorials