Forum & Help

Wargaming

Posted by Ochoin on 23 May 2015, 12:29

I've been thinking about this for a while.

Benno's excels as a place you go to see the outstanding work of figure modellers & painters.

The other half of the equation is wargaming. It is a poor cousin here, with the subject tacked on to other boards.

My suggestion is to give it it's own board - all scales- with sub forums such as 'Shows & Conventions', ' Game Reports', "rules' Discussion' etc.

I would hope this would attract more users & promote more discussion & contributions.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Kekso on 23 May 2015, 14:12

Hi Donald. Sorry, but I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you suggesting completely separate new forum for wargamers?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Ochoin on 23 May 2015, 20:59

No. In addition to the current boards (separated by scale) a single board for wargaming.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Cameronian on 24 May 2015, 10:23

Why not? Seems justified by the number of posts under Wargaming in the 20mm sub-folder. There would appear to be a considerable number of serious gamers (and dabblers like me) on here, so it gets my vote. Since the forum went from mainly 1/72 plastic to all-in without pain, then this would seem a natural progression.
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Kekso on 24 May 2015, 11:29

Maybe you should start a poll to see what other members (wargamers) think?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 May 2015, 12:12

Clicking onto Benno`s Figures Forum,and scrolling down to the last on the List, you can see that there is a War Gaming Section that has had very little use or none at all. Don`t get me wrong I am in favour of all you War Gamers having a place to post your stuff,and it has been great to see a few more join the Forum this year. There are at present 7 sections under the War Gaming Title,and perhaps a reshuffle there could be of a greater benefit to all concerned. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 24 May 2015, 12:57

Kekso wrote:Maybe you should start a poll to see what other members (wargamers) think?

OK. How do I do this?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Kekso on 24 May 2015, 15:22

When you are creating/posting new topic, down bellow you can find cards "Options", "Poll Creation" and "Add Tags". Choose "Poll Creation" and enter questions and options. Last 2 fields usually remain the same but you can change that as well.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 24 May 2015, 15:44

Beano Boy wrote:Clicking onto Benno`s Figures Forum,and scrolling down to the last on the List, you can see that there is a War Gaming Section that has had very little use or none at all. . BB

Paul´s right.
There already IS a section for wargames...only no-one Posts there. ..and it´s odd that the 20mm - 1/72nd Gallery (with 165 topics, most of which could have gone into the relevant wargames sections by period) is the only one with a wargames section tabbed on. :scratch:
IMHO, Bin the wargames Sub forum in the 20mm Forum, add a top Forum in the wargames section for 'Shows & Conventions', ' Game Reports', "rules' Discussion' ..shift all the Topics from the 20mm Forum to the respective wargames Sub forums......oh and add a WWII wargames Forum. ...and possibly also a Fantasy Forum.
Paul  China

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 May 2015, 16:10

Gosh! I`m very glad not to have upset anybody with my comment upon this issue. ( but there`s still time! )
However it seems moving stuff from There, to There is an awful lot of sweeping up for someone. I think at the end of the day Benno ,should see which one of his Knights of his Round Table ,gets the Short Straw! Along with of course a New Brush! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 24 May 2015, 21:01

Paul wrote:
There already IS a section for wargames...only no-one Posts there. ...

I'm merely surmising but it's not an issue of current members of the forum not posting because they can't locate a section as it is that wargamers don't come here in any appreciable numbers.

By making wargames a board of its own & readily visible on the Home Page, maybe you'd attract more users.

IMO numbers are life on an internet forum.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Cameronian on 24 May 2015, 23:46

Do the poll Donald, us Scots are well used to them by now :-D

As far as moving stuff hither and thither is concerned, personally I wouldn't bother. Simply create a new board and delete all existing subs following a two week moratorium. If any contributor has a special regard for a post they can simply copy and re-post it into the new version.
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 25 May 2015, 07:50

Ochoin wrote:I'm merely surmising but it's not an issue of current members of the forum not posting because they can't locate a section as it is that wargamers don't come here in any appreciable numbers.By making wargames a board of its own & readily visible on the Home Page, maybe you'd attract more users.

How much more "of it´s own and visible" than it already is?
Maybe, Wargames aren´t such a big Thing here because there are already a couple of other Forums that are mainly dedicated to them, as suggested:
Cameronian wrote:Why not I suppose. The best organized one I've seen is the Fanaticus forum, it's a purely gaming forum dedicated to DBA and variants rules. It's at:

http://fanaticus.org/discussion/index.php

There are a lot of other similar Forums as well as fanaticus.

Having a wargaming section was discussed a while back..that virtually no-one took part is maybe indicative that there´s Little interest. ?
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=14983&p=169118&hilit=wargames#p169118

Cameronian wrote:As far as moving stuff hither and thither is concerned, personally I wouldn't bother. Simply create a new board and delete all existing subs following a two week moratorium. If any contributor has a special regard for a post they can simply copy and re-post it into the new version.

The board already exists..or am I missing something? ..
As for moving Topics that´s easy but would depend on the individual who posted them to the already existing sections agreeing to their post being moved.
Deleting someone´s Topic/post after a set period? I can imagine the fits being thrown when someone Comes back after a Long break only to find a legitimate post deleted along with any comments made by others.
They could all be contacted but the work involved would be quite extensive.
Paul  China

Posted by Paul on 25 May 2015, 08:00

Beano Boy"However it seems moving stuff from There, to There is an awful lot of sweeping up for someone. I think at the end of the day Benno ,should see which one of his Knights of his Round Table

It takes seconds to move Topics ..moving the 165 Topics from the 20mm section to thier relevant period sections in the wargames board would take an hour max..the largest part would be getting the original Posters agreement in moving them. I can imagine some People being mildly peeved if I they returned to a Forum and couldn´t find thier Posts due to them being moved and they hadn´t been asked or informed of the move.
Creating the new Sub forums..ie:WWII and deleting forums is down to Admin.
Paul  China

Posted by Cameronian on 25 May 2015, 10:17

In other words, 'not on my watch'.
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 25 May 2015, 10:24

Paul wrote:[ Maybe, Wargames aren´t such a big Thing here because there are already a couple of other Forums that are mainly dedicated to them, as suggested:

Maybe, Paul. I can't guarantee a doubling of membership & traffic if Benno's gets seen by the large wargaming community as a place to go. And of course would people want this potentially significant change or are they happy with Benno's exactly as it is?

I should note that I'm a pretty active member of a number of wargame sites so it seems to me that over supply isn't a factor. I'm surmising the low profile of wargaming on the site does not attract wargamers. I could be wrong.....that's been known to happen!!!

I could also be wrong but am I getting a "vibe" that you see my suggestion as a veiled criticism? If so, may I put your mind at ease: I really, really like Benno's & I'm not insisting on change or anything like it.
It's a suggestion & I don't think I'll even bother with a poll.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 25 May 2015, 10:48

Cameronian wrote:In other words, 'not on my watch'.

You are reading something into what I have written and It isn´t "my Watch" as you put it.
Ochoin wrote:. And of course would people want this potentially significant change or are they happy with Benno's exactly as it is?

What significant change would that be. There IS a Forum set up for wargaming.. :scratch:

Ochoin wrote:. I could also be wrong but am I getting a "vibe" that you see my suggestion as a veiled criticism? .

Not at all. Maybe I´m missing the Point, but seeing as there already is a Forum for wargaming I can´t see what the original Point is..
Ochoin wrote:My suggestion is to give it it's own board - all scales- with sub forums such as 'Shows & Conventions', ' Game Reports', "rules' Discussion' etc.

Ochoin wrote:. It's a suggestion & I don't think I'll even bother with a poll.

Why not? It may actually get more interest in the wargames section.
Paul  China

Posted by Kekso on 25 May 2015, 11:32

Okay, only 2 wargamers have spoken in this thread. I think that it is enough evidence for (not) changing forum organization regarding wargaming section.
Not to mention that you don't want bother with poll to see what other members think.
And I agree with Paul - I still can't see the point of it.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 25 May 2015, 15:53

A third wargamer is in and fully supporting Ochoin and Cameronian. I would be happy to see wargames given more visibility in the forum, not just a sub-category in the 20 mm - 1/72 Scale category (i cannot find the section pointed by BB). Wargames is for all scales and I don't see it in other scale categories. Also painting and basing for wargames have different approaches and methods. A focus on that would help sharing our efforts, works, tactics and battle results. Thanks
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 25 May 2015, 16:13

One more thing: i joined this Forum for the easy going attitude of its members, wargamers included. No such things like brainy discussions on rules and tactics, silly comments on one ruleset or the other, but brilliant posts on paintings, basing, diorama and terrain making, etc. There is a type of wargamers that just like the bliss of deploying well painted armies on amazingly made terrains. Here in Benno's may be at ease; they would just need a proper space, which is not a hard thing to do Without a poll. :-D :-D :-D
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Next page

Return to Forum & Help