Gallery

The Rocking Horse & a slight repair

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Jan 2015, 21:12

If ever a group of figures could represent a metaphor within this hobby & history it would I feel be these.

Above
The Season of Goodwill,
Winter of 1818, as seen by family members,
Bluchers last Cavalry Charge.

Napoleon & Blucher and the Rocking Horse.
I painted it up based upon patterns of design for early 19th Century Rocking Horses.

Blucher & the Prussian Officer who did in this my story, Survive the Wars.
The back of Napoleon represents his Ultiment Defeat

Even though his face is White with Cold,you will notice ,No Snow this time____________ Sorry!

A Slight Repair

The right hand runner that curves its way up,broke off the Sled,so I repaired it with Super Glue,and I reinforced each side of the repair with tiny strip`s of flattened tin solder. Later I`ll flatten it even more and then trim it to shape with my craft knife. After repainting it will be better than new.

Thanks again RETEP BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 08 Jan 2015, 21:18

I like how you painted that horse Paul... very interesting
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Emperor on 08 Jan 2015, 21:51

Idyllic Paul...I like idyllic things....Like snow...
Emperor  

Posted by vellek on 08 Jan 2015, 22:07

I really like the style you used to paint these. I have 2 of the 3 figures and they're now part of the family's Christmas Village set-up.
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Peter on 08 Jan 2015, 22:51

Great painting job done Paul! Like Dalibor I like it how you painted that horse. :thumbup:

Can you tell us how you did that?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jan 2015, 01:51

How did I paint it? All I can do is show you what designs best pleased my plans for this very tiny Rocking Horse.Then try hard to remember what I did.

These are all reproduction pieces,but the way they look is a real Toy Type Style using I suppose in some cases unnatural colours. There are masses on Line!
Now because my horse was small I wanted to use big bold spots on it rather then small dots which would look like pin pricks in a piece of paper held up to the light. No I wanted big and bold spots which would signify a larger space ,then there was. An illusion to the eye,a trick to the mind.
I felt an off white main and tail would not work. So I was determined to have them matt black and that stylish strip across both legs was a must where I was concerned too.

I used acrylic paints. I undercoated the complete horse , and bottom rocker in a neat,un-watered down desert sand colour. Why? because I had some already squeezed out on my pallet ,and it served the purpose and thus avoided waste. Then using White with a tiny dot of yellow mixed into it,and watered down I painted the complete horse with this off white. It dried quick ,and then I painted the areas I wanted a matt black. Then adding a spot of black from that on my pallet.I added it to some of the off white,and created the grey. So I painted it onto the areas where the spots would go. Now Mrs B on seeing it,remarked you`ve painted it blue. I remembered I`d cleaned a brush that I had been using for blue, in the water,and there was a slight reaction when mixing the grey. Of course I could not see the colour,all I know is white & black makes grey. "Should I repaint it ? "I asked.__________" No it looks good," was the reply. Then I used what was left of the off white mix ,and added the spots.The Rocking Base had a coat of watered down desert sand,and that`s all I can recall on how I painted the tiny Rocking Horse. I left it over night. It was then varnished with my own mix .

This is what I thought would be the end result,but then I decided to dull it down. I believe the Toy Rocking Horse looks much better with the shine,so I might well polish him up later.Blucher was far to glossed up for a achieving a good photo shoot result , although of course as you see I did do one which I`m glad now I did.
Thank you all for your comments, and interest. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jan 2015, 02:36

Sorry I spelled out the wrong Grop in the very first sentence of this topic. I typed in Grope. Please could someone remove the E ,because I don't wish to be imagined as a fumbling person, even though at times I am all Fingers & Thumbs! ThanK You in Advance BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 09 Jan 2015, 05:03

Beano Boy wrote:Sorry I spelled out the wrong Grop in the very first sentence of this topic. I typed in Grope. Please could someone remove the E ,because I don't wish to be imagined as a fumbling person, even though at times I am all Fingers & Thumbs! ThanK You in Advance BB

Fixed it for you :-D
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Jan 2015, 08:06

Also love the horse! Looks very much like the real thing!
Susofrick  Sweden

Return to Gallery