Tutorials

Oyumaru Mould

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Nov 2014, 19:37

My rather crude Oyumaru Mould,which was made of Reusable Compound Moulding Sticks!
I used two pkts to make this mould.

Opened up,and it reveals the two part mould, and the patterns used. OBELIX will be pleased.

Although i believe in the patterns of all Rock Chippers since the days of Solomon,and what they leave behind. This will ease the work load for this aging fellow Obelix.All he has to do is deliver them before the Christmas Rush!

Perfect little Mould.

The Mould guides were simply made by pushing in the cap end of this acrylic paint bottle,while the bottom half of the Mould was still soft.However before doing that the patterns were simply pushed half way into the soft hot moulding compound! Then this half was left to cool off and harden up. When cool more compound sticks were dropped into boiling water and after a couple of minutes taken out and worked into each other in one soft ball. Then simply pressed down on the other half mould making sure it is pushed well into the guide holes,and also upon the patterns. There is no need for any releasing oil or powder used as a parting medium.This stuff does not stick to itself when one half is cold. This process takes very little time to do ,and the stuff stays workable for at least more minutes than is needed to do this easy part of this two part mould. The bottom of the patterns in this case are level with the side of the mould. This when placed together again after the patterns have been removed, makes it easy to cast up in the material of choose. Plastic Resin or Plaster of Paris which will go rock hard and should not to be confused with builders plaster that will not.

I need to open up the left side bottom with a craft knife,before casting up. I only need a few,and they can now be cast up once the mould is clamped up. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 27 Nov 2014, 23:15

Thank you for this. I have Oyumaru myself... it is very simple to use it.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Nov 2014, 16:08

There is plenty of this Oyumaru Modelling Compound on E Bay at this present time.

Last night,I cast a few of these up in Plaster of Paris. An easy success!

They are already Rock hard! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Dec 2014, 12:21

A Shield for Abraracurcix,or whatever name you know him by.

I need to make 2 more shields in order two finish two more Sets of this Chieftain type pose of figures. Mostly this is an item missing from these 41 year old Vintage Toys when buying figures in used condition. Lucky I bought one set bagged up from way back in the day,so I had a shield to use as a pattern.

Simple wet runny cast `Plaster of Paris` mix was poured into the open topped moulds. Then using a small paint brush dipped into each tiny mould cast up,the still wet plaster was agitated by and up and down motion of the brush to get rid of any air bubbles.This job makes for a sound solid casting.Then using my old credit card a perfect tool for this small job,the top was scraped off, leaving a tidy flat bottom and quite clean edge to each casting.

A tiny bit of edge to just trim off later when this stuff is rock solid hard. The Chieftain looks very pleased with the end result. A simple paint job and Job Done & Dusted. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Apr 2015, 20:00

The bottom part of this two part mould has been made using Lego Bricks to form a nice box.
The heated O . M,was pushed into place,and the pattern,my little Sailor was forced down into it until his halfway point was reached. As this is a large figure I placed the whole bottom half of this mould in a washing up bowl, and covered the whole thing in boiling water. Then at my ease the work on shaping the edges around the figure was done using metal sculpturing tools,and round pin points were pushed into the O . M either side of the figure. These will be guiding points when closing the finished mould and will make sure it is guided into a perfect place just right ,and ready for casting up. I placed this finished half of the mould in the Fridge to Cool Off.

The Sailor is a garden ornament ,and usually he is stuck into a pot with bedding plants when Mrs B makes up the clay pots for extra colour in and around the five tiny courtyard gardens that surround our tiny Fiddlewood home.

I would like to cast Old George up too,because his bottom half got broken, but he`s still allowed in the garden.

I use oblong Lego Bricks too,because later when the mould is full and complete its hard to work the bricks lose to start with,but the longer ones give good leverage making the de-bricking process EASY!

The Little Sailor stands two and a half inches in height. He will along with others will be cast up using Dental Ceramic powder,and a Top Secret Ingredient ,that will make him well fit for outside use in the garden. Gee! I could cast Me some New Teeth! At 66 I ain`t got many left.

The top half of the mould being made last night,was left over night to really harden up. Then the Lego Bricks were removed.

Reminds Me of,Lolly Pop! Lolly Pop! A song from the 1960`s. MILLIE!

Top half is off,and the pattern is nearly out. Pop! He`s out.

The two part mould.

Held tight by clips this will be__________________

Perfect for casting up.Just got to pour the stuff in and then agitate it with a small brush to release trapped air bubbles . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Apr 2015, 07:44

Never seen LEGO used like this! Very nice. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Chordettes did Lollipop Lollipop. Millie did My Boy Lollypop. The Vinyl Nerd has spoken. :oops:

And here is one of the first ska-hits to hit Europe (Paul (the other one) knows much more!) :-D :

Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 May 2015, 20:17

The very first porcelain casting produced for the garden. Hard as Rock! There`s a couple of tiny air bubbles, but they can soon be put right.
A little bit of trimming to do,then craft paint sploshed on him ,and for his own good into the oven and baked at Gas mark 4, for an hour and a half. Or is that the heat and time for cooking our Chicken? My Mind is a share puzzlement at times. "Mrs B,can you remind me? "

Well I`ve just cast up another after this success . So that very rare 20 year old figure I used as the pattern will soon see his offspring, all Ship shape and Bristol Fashion on HMS Beano. While I`m at it,I might even make my own set of teeth, mine having fell out durring the Dark Ages! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 14 May 2015, 12:48

Will you make a tutorial for the teeth to? Might be helpfull for some of us! :mrgreen: :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 May 2015, 15:19

Image Well Peter,I `m working on two sets.

Image But as you can see I can`t stop them from chomping!

Damn noisy things they are too. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 May 2015, 20:09

Here we go again on this open ended topic.

I want to have a narrow boat filled with barrels,and I need 2 dozen. However I`ve only got three. So I need to make some more using the ones I have as patterns.

Lucky each barrel split`s into two half`s and have little guide pins. This means I can easily make a tiny two part mould.

Into hot water with the black stuff!

The Lego is perfect for odd jobs,as well as playing with the Grandchildren. This box will help form the bottom section of this tiny mould.

The hot stuff is pushed into the box and levelled off,and the three half barrels are pushed in and firmed in. I `ve placed each one on the very edge of the box,because these will be cast up open ended.
This end will be stuck into the hold of the boat so will not be seen.

The paint top makes perfect impressions into the bottom,and will form guide pegs when the other part of the mould is made.

The other half of each barrel is pushed into place. Before completing the mould, I`ve popped it into the Fridge so it can harden off. I`ll finish it off tomorrow. Than cast it up with Plaster of Paris! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 May 2015, 11:56

The next day began as normal with my Yawn!

The next layer of Lego Bricks that will form the other half of this mould are added,and although it looks an odd higgledy - piggledy construction this will help me get the bricks away from the mould very easily.

The heated up black stuff is placed firmly into the little mould with the aid of an old brush handle,it being the case the brush part itself broke off in the early Dark Ages. I never like to throw anything away. Yes, all FiddleWood Gnomes are like this.

Seems a successful excercise as the mould is opened up.

PING! They all come out in a slightest part of a Jiffy !

Closed up the tiny mould is ready for casting up . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 16 May 2015, 12:18

Cool... now let's see results with barrels
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 May 2015, 13:14

I cast a few up yesterday.

Thank for your request Dalibor . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 May 2015, 18:02

Casting Up

I added some warm water to mix it up in, because this makes it go off quicker.

Each is filled up. What a mess!

A couple of minutes later it`s scraped off .

15 minutes later the mould is opened up.

Making the mould and casting up my own has saved £27.66 which is the cost of two dozen metal barrels from Langleys .

Beano Boy`s Moonshine Distillery will have storage enough now to age it a while,before selling it on to the local Council. They use it to get chewing gum off the pavements in the City. It works very quick, and if left on to long will also dissolve the pavement too.One has to wash it away with a gallon of water,per drop used or risk it melting the cast iron drain covers. The Council is highly pleased with the end results,however there is an awful lot of Tipsy Cross Eyed Council Workers doing the job. There`s also a few more who on passing out ,that are not. Well who would`ve thought to drink it? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 17 May 2015, 19:54

Barrels turned out really nice
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 May 2015, 17:41

This has been the 5th time I`ve reused part of the Oyumaru black stuff.

HO OO Railway Scale

Having been busy making other larger moulds,the left over stuff was put to good use making smaller scale items. In the end I cast 56 Barrels,and some of the item below.
Made in the very same way as the barrels,this is the first of seven tiny 7mm Dustbins I made today. Having no real aptitude for making such tiny stuff I am pleased with the outcome.Of course I will need a couple of Tom Cats sitting on them though. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 May 2015, 21:08

28mm Three Part Mould

I do believe they are called Basket Gambians. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 22 May 2015, 11:00

Hi Paul. Gabions turned out really nice. Alternative is to make them with wire. But your way is quicker if you have master gabion and once you make mold.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dirk on 22 May 2015, 13:30

Very good idea - thanks for showing !
dirk  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 May 2015, 17:56

Gabions! Thanks Dalibor. Dirk ,thanks for the comment. The three part mould is not hard to do.

These I`ll leave for a few days to completely go rock hard. Then a little trimming to do before painting.

I`m interested in doing some Gargoyles,so whish me luck! BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Tutorials