Work in Progress

painting Asterix & Obelix plus Lucky Luke toy figures

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Oct 2014, 12:15

The first few figures as can be seen, have been primed and are now ready to be painted.No Lucky Luke characters as yet have been undercoated ,but they will follow later. I have decided to keep the Copyright name Dargaud in raised letters on all the toy figures,and usually they are on the back of the figures.

The plastic Dargaud: Asterix & Obelix and Lucky Luke figure collections from 1973 are made of plastic and they are rather on the large size the tallest being 38mm in height and the smallest being 25mm in height.There is also a 1969 Asterix Eygptian set and figures from that set are plastic and in the same size,and they will be painted and placed here too.

The largest Lucky Luke figure is 50mm in height,so I decided this is the right spot on the Forum for them. So eventually there will be 3 complete collections of plastic figures from the yesteryears of 1969 & 1973,placed here in total. Which could be a Record!

The complete 5 collections of Dargaud, 28mm scale metal figures therefore must go into that 28mm WIP section.So none of them will be shown within this topic. I hope this makes complete sense,and all the Moderators agree with my decision. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Oct 2014, 23:31

The stuff I sprayed ( BOLT ACTION COLOUR PRIMER from warlordgames ) on those plastic test figures has begun to flake off .The figures were clean ,and boy am I glad I did not spray the whole collection.
It has always been right through my adult life,that people buy things ,and hundreds and thousands are sold ,and are OK,but yes you`ve guessed it,I end up buying the Faulty One. I`ll try Humbrol spray primmer next.

I ended up priming those figures I had sprayed before, by hand. The metal figures seem OK! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Wolfie65 on 28 Oct 2014, 14:10

Ils sont fous, les Romains!
Those are great figures, I think they came with bubble gum at some point.
Assuming you washed them with hot water, soap and vinegar first, you might try priming them with Gesso.
Takes longer to apply and dry (preferably overnight or more), but I've had good results.
Wolfie65  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Oct 2014, 14:33

Wolfie65,if you like these little fellows,have a look in General at my Topic." my quest for Bubble Gum figures. There are whole Asterix collection`s now posted there. Thank you for the Vinegar Tip!I will try that. In the meantime I have cleaned them,and with a brush undercoated them with acylic white paint straight from the tin. This works fine on this plastic. The metal Asterix figures that I sprayed seem to be ,OK! Thankfully! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Nov 2014, 14:14

Well painting has started and even though looking rather ruff at present,when other colours and washes are applied,I hope they will look much better soon. Finally varnish, my own mix will help protect the work. This for me is a learning curb,because I am working with acrylic paints for the very first time. Good or bad results I will post here,and I am a firm believer in making mistakes along the way,but the real trick is one must learn from them. More updates soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Nov 2014, 19:24

I`ve shifted onto one of my older work tables while glue dries on another topic,on the other table
I seem to have lots of figures half painted and hanging around loose rather like Sam Wise! So I have been painting Toy Figures trying to clear up a few little jobs.

Now as for this Topic!
Sorry it has been a while since the last update,but other things often overtake one in the fast lane,and just need doing first. Today I have been able to do a spot of work on these guys. Asterix & Obelix will follow soon they just need little finishing touches done to them. These are really test figures done while I feel myself through the in`s and out`s of using acrylic paints for the very first time. I must say I am pleased so far with the results. Soon I`ll base some figures and do a proper photo shoot. The picture above were taken in rather bad light conditions after dark. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 21 Nov 2014, 19:45

They look good so far Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Nov 2014, 20:45

Thanks Peter,these I feel are more of a challenge to paint because they are lacking in detail. Saying this though I rather enjoy the relaxed feeling I have just painting delightful toy figures the way I wish to. Whereas military uniforms on model soldiers often over Vex my Mind so much,because there is so much detail to paint correctly or not. Being colour-blind means a system of methodical painting, which can become rather boring when painting hundreds at the same time. The plastic Asterix figures take minutes to paint so I am hoping to paint at least one complete set soon for my collection. Which is about 30 figures if I remember rightly. Do visit again. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Nov 2014, 22:51

Just a few to paint.

Along with a few more all undercoated with acrylic paint. Hopefully I should be painting Lucky Luke characters by the weekend. It`s great fun painting these because each one is different. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Nov 2014, 14:37

All these guys will be painted all in one go later,to stop confusion to my eyes sight.

I only ever found one of this Obelix pose.

I have several of his pose shown here.
Thanks for looking. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 25 Nov 2014, 18:28

Wow Paul... so nicely painted... Sorry for a little advice but I would do them less glossy :D
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Nov 2014, 18:39

I`ve got some Anti-Shine! So no offence taken Dalibor. It is always good to receive kind well ment advice. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Dec 2014, 01:27

They are not finished yet, so this is a peak preview. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Dec 2014, 22:09

I`m glad that even though getting behind on other stuff,that I finally managed some late night painting.
So today I took this early morning shot of the Asterix figures on my tiny window sill. The oddest thing is one never can tell how these tiny things will turn out. Mrs B,not that struck on me buying them,now loves them as if they were Fine China.

I especially like this one, and to me he`s the typical Thug ,the Heavy,the Bully, that the Romans had collecting their Taxes way back in the Sword & Sandal type days of Ancient Times. Come to think of it the British Crown still employs them even today,so nothing really ever changes.

Remco ,would recall faster the name and title of this guy faster than I can,but he`ll soon stand upon an uplifted shield,every bit like the Chieftain he is.

Well that's it until next time. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Dec 2014, 22:12

Sorry this is the other picture that should have gone on.

Have Fun BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Dec 2014, 22:13

It did go on. I`ve gone Nut`s! BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by SamSagace on 07 Dec 2014, 23:13

Excellent painting work Paul ! I love them !
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Dec 2014, 11:54

Me too. Don't remember the chief's name in English, but in Sweden he is called Majestix. :-)
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 08 Dec 2014, 18:17

Beano Boy wrote:It did go on. I`ve gone Nut`s! BB

:lol:

For being nut's, the figures look fine to me! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Dec 2014, 21:09

Thank you Gunnar for the name, Majestix !

Dargaud ,likes a Laugh at no mistake. Here are the names of this guy in many lands.

English Vitalstatistix , Dutch Heroix , German Majestix , Portugese Matasetix, Spanish Abraracurcix,
and in Swedish as Gunnar rightly mentioned ,MAJESTIX!

I am a great forgetter of names so this has made my pea-wee of a brain overload, because it has to try now to remember to forget all these.
By the way before I forget to,Thanks for all you kind comments. BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Work in Progress