General

MARS figures

Posted by Bramble15 on 25 Aug 2014, 13:31

A question just came to mind related to MARS figures as I was reading another new set review on PSR. Does anyone buy or paint these figures? Most if not all reviews (I know everyone has differing opionions of PSR reviews) are negative or borderline negative. Most reviews seem to focus on the poor sculpting and pose quality. It seems to me that many of their subjects are worthwhile just not sure of the actual quality of the product. Please know that this post is not meant as a bash of the company or its products. It just came to me that it is not often we see here postings of painted MARS figures and I was left to wonder why!
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 25 Aug 2014, 14:12

Bramble15 wrote:Does anyone buy or paint these figures? ... It just came to me that it is not often we see here postings of painted MARS figures and I was left to wonder why!

My thought exactly :eh:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by zirrian on 25 Aug 2014, 15:35

With careful painting, they can be made to look good, and I really like the look of some of their minis. But overall, I agree with you. They should improve their figure makign technique (to not to lose that much detail, and lower the amounts of flash), as well as their sculptor to see a professional for some learning. They are releasing sets with incredible speed, and it seems like they want to cover EVERYTHING from the given period, which is a really good thing. Would it be combined with the sculptor of Caesar and their mouldings, everybody would be happy.
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Konrad on 25 Aug 2014, 16:23

Figures of MARS have the same fate like figures of STRELETS.
Most painters do not like them.
They got better figures from other manufacturers for her money.
But for me are figures that nobody wants a challenge.

But i have all Samurai sets from RedBox.
This is really a waste of time.
The most sets from MARS are really bad.
They must do a great step.
Like RedBox did with her Scurrers.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by WULT on 25 Aug 2014, 18:49

Maybe its because some of the minnis are copys?
WULT  

Posted by Peter on 25 Aug 2014, 19:23

"Bad" copies, Wult! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zirrian on 25 Aug 2014, 21:06

Most of them are not copies. I'll try my luck with some Strelets sets (right now I only have one), as I can see something in them. Maybe not as elegant as the others, they have a value for me. Especially if I can grab some Normans from them (archers, plox!), and others too...Also, if I ever turn to Dacians, Strelets will be my choice.
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Bramble15 on 25 Aug 2014, 22:28

I suppose I should have also stated that I do not utilize the PSR reviews to make decisions on purchasing figures. I realize there are factors that are important to all of us and my only real factor is how they look to my eye. If anyone has any painted please post. I would love to see what can be done with some of these miniatures.

Posted by Greg77 on 25 Aug 2014, 23:01

It is really not my job to judge their sets,
I never experienced with any of the Mars figures
but
I found this here- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14661&hilit=polish+field+artillery ,
and on Paul's blog there is more I think
-sorry I am advertising his blog and posts without permission ;-)
Greg77  Hungary

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Aug 2014, 23:17

Konrad wrote:Figures of MARS have the same fate like figures of STRELETS.
Most painters do not like them.

Strelets are a mixed bag: some are pretty awful, some very good.

I'd also suggest that out of any manufacturer, Strelets' figures benefit from painting as the deep even exaggerated detail provides nice contrasts.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by zirrian on 25 Aug 2014, 23:23

Ochoin wrote:
Strelets are a mixed bag: some are pretty awful, some very good.

I'd also suggest that out of any manufacturer, Strelets' figures benefit from painting as the deep even exaggerated detail provides nice contrasts.

donald

Also, their 1812 British Infantry in Greatcoats is awesome. If the moulding was a bit better...
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Aug 2014, 15:02

Bramble15 wrote:I suppose I should have also stated that I do not utilize the PSR reviews to make decisions on purchasing figures. I realize there are factors that are important to all of us and my only real factor is how they look to my eye. If anyone has any painted please post. I would love to see what can be done with some of these miniatures.

Well do you go on PSR to see what the figures look like? There are pictures of them attached to each review.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bramble15 on 26 Aug 2014, 17:11

Absolutely I do. I guess I could have made that clearer! I use the pictures to help make my purchasing decisions. I have found that good review or poor its only the purchasers opionion that counts anyway.

Posted by Den on 26 Aug 2014, 20:23

Hello, I was always following what Mars brings out - mostly their TYW series. Some pictures of Mars Figures I used.
Mars French Artillery mixed with some Zvezda Musketeers - here serving as artillery crew
Mars Cannon but with Wheels from Zvezdas Charles Artillery (cause there was to much mould to use the original wheels :(
One of their Imperial Arquebusiers with Horse / together with a revell one
Den  

Posted by Kekso on 26 Aug 2014, 20:28

Nicely painted figures Den... it seems that some not so good looking figures can look ok when painted by skilled painter... Many guys proved that with Strelets, now you proved with Mars
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by zirrian on 29 Aug 2014, 13:24

I test-painted a Mars mini too - a Polish Haidu that can be used as Székely Veres Drabant (Red Drabant), or Hungarian haidu. I kinda liked the figure with it's proportions, and overall look...I think I might get some more Mars sets in the future to bolster my TYW armies.
zirrian  Hungary

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bramble15 on 29 Aug 2014, 14:42

Well thank you to Den and Zirrian for your posts. Your painted figures get to meaning or question of my original post.

Nicely painted figures Den... it seems that some not so good looking figures can look ok when painted by skilled painter... Many guys proved that with Strelets, now you proved with Mars

Again this is exactly what I was looking for. :thumbup:

Posted by zirrian on 29 Aug 2014, 14:50

Bramble15 wrote:Well thank you to Den and Zirrian for your posts. Your painted figures get to meaning or question of my original post.

Again this is exactly what I was looking for. :thumbup:

No probs mate ;) I got this box because it was secondhand, and cheap :P And I have a farily large Revell TYW collection, and I think I'll need some mercenaries for them.
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by David O'Brien on 29 Aug 2014, 21:38

The photo comparison between the painted Revell and Mars mounted figures provides me with more reasons to agree with PSR's opinions. If the argument is that skilful or even artful painting improves a figure's appearance then that is surely obvious. A couple of hours with Photoshop does as well (the photo in that case) or choosing the right angle. If you mix them (Strelets or Mars or AN Other's) in with other more beautiful figures, it is a period you go for in a big way,and you put them some distance away from your eyes then your choice and after all you are the beholder of their beauty; so spend away.

BTW Revells TYW artillery looks like a scaled down version of something and some of the heads look like Giacometti's sculpture. This is what Alberto Giacometti's sculpture looks like.

The big boys can muck up as well.

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by zirrian on 29 Aug 2014, 22:28

AFAIK they are original miniatures, but some of the sculpts remind me of the scaled-down Elastolin minis - the faces are similar to the ones in the Gaul box , thus I suspect maybe the same sculptor was working on them. I don't have too much problem with the heads. They appear normal to me, the others seem a bit bobbleheaded to me :P
zirrian  Hungary

Next page

Return to General