General

my quest for Bubble Gum figures

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Aug 2014, 23:55

Yes HolScaleGeek, the plastic vintage ones of the 1970`s and the metal ones are rare,and if I recall production of these stopped in 2001 and are quite hard to find. Although both set`s are not that valuable .The plastic ones were so cheap back in the day that little children chewed on E`m, or lost them or just throw them away. The Modern up to date,new ones are common place from the States or Germany. These can be obtained on Amazon UK too.
E Bay is world wide so I`m surfing the Foreign Waves too.I had a quite a good plastic buy from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.

These are the ones above. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Aug 2014, 16:10

While viewing this shot of Asterix the Gaul and friend,I noticed the tiny Dogmatix can be seen sitting in the hand of Obelix. Gosh he is so tiny I almost missed him in this set.
More photo`s to come later,I`m awaiting deliveries. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 23 Aug 2014, 19:20

you notice the dog just now???

look at this (old) post of me: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4238&p=50861&hilit=asterix#p50861
there you can see what colors they have to been painted.
these where my first ones from this awesome metal series.
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Aug 2014, 20:20

Thank`s for the link Remco,very nice work,and very colourful even to my eyes.I must try to find some time each day to wander down memory lane on this Forum to see those older post`s. I realise that only being a member for nearly a year now,that I have perhaps missed some amazing work. Some mail arrived from the Far East yesterday and some more of the collection is set out below. I have a few doubles,but I am very pleased with the new figures.

There are a few doubles now,but one has to buy job lot`s to obtain the prized figures.

I`m very pleased to have the Roman figures,they seem the hardest to find.

There are a few more to collect as yet,but most have been spotted and where about`s traced. As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote ,"The game is a foot " to obtain them.
Gradually these metal and plastic collections are being built up,but perhaps the missing few might well mean I fail in the end. I would dearly love to be able to show them all on this Forum,and then ask Remco kindly to paint them . " Just Joking!"

Thank you once again for looking. A very pleased BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 24 Aug 2014, 20:36

Paul, Remco only paints twelve figures a year! You will have to wait for a very long time! :lol:

Great purchase! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Dad's Army on 25 Aug 2014, 00:13

Peter wrote:Paul, Remco only paints twelve figures a year! You will have to wait for a very long time! :lol:

Great purchase! ;-)

Great purchase indeed, and you are right the Romains are hard to get
(speaking from experiance)
And me painting them for you.... would indeed take years.
But posting one every month doesn't say I paint only 1 every month Peter
(you should have a better look at FIGZ :mrgreen: )
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2014, 01:32

I lucked in today guys,I have obtained more of the plastic Asterix figures I mentioned earllier . More doubles but among this lot some nice ones that I definitely need to help my collection come that much closer to its end. Another good half dozen Romans too.I got them way under the price I was prepared to pay,and the Seller settled for half what he was originally asking.So in the end he was happy to sell them,and I was more then pleased to have them.

Sorry about fuzzy picture,the photo is not shot by my camera. When they arrive I`ll post much better photo`s,OK? I discovered from the outset of my quest that the packaging for this whole set were all misprinted and what it states you get in the plastic bag is only 8 figures and not the 10 printed and stated on the item.I have reached a point were I actually doubt if there are in fact 36 figures to this collection.There could in total be 36 pieces that make the set complete, like the cooking pot and round shield and the large stone that Obelix lug`s around. So I am going to try to obtain what a full plastic set should look like when I get time from the Official Dargaud site . Well until next time. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Aug 2014, 05:00

HoScaleGeek,Thank`s for the info on the names.I am sorry that I forgot to answer your question," Are the figures rare in Britain? ",well they are,however it would be easyer to say that I am too. Being housebound and tapping my one good typing finger is the only way I can shop and obtain these little fellows.Asterix and Obelix figures as far as I know are not that popular or widly known or liked in Britain.I guess those who have seen the movies are familiar with these cartoon caricatures ,but people of my generation are not.Or perhaps it is just me,because I have always hated Chewing Gum! I do so appreciate good questions and comments,and I do like to keep up with them but sometimes I forget too,( My Age I guess ) so thank you HoScaleGeek, and all you other guys for taking an interest in this topic.

" Asterix,Do you think BB will ever remember all our friends names?"
"Well,I suppose it could be possible,but according to Fred and MayBell its taken a lifetime for him to remember his own."

"That's right in what they are saying about BB.After all I arrived way before they all did,and still he keeps calling me Micky! And I ain`t! My name is Cursor,and BB copy`s each and every file with just one click of ( ME ) his mouse!"

Have fun guys BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Aug 2014, 16:19

Some very nice but of course quirky Asterix figures arrived Saturday,and I am so pleased to see them all. I hope you like the photo`s.

Brewing the Magic Potion!

I believe those two above should be holding something,but I do not know what.Perhaps you might know? The Lady looks very Dogmatic! Or should I have written Dogmatix? No Dogmatix, that`s the name of the tiny dog in G Britain.

The fine little fellow above with the feather is I suppose quite rare,because I have two more but the feather has been knock off.So I have this fine example in Mint Condition and so he is very fitting for my growing fun loving collection.

As seen above ,very nice to have another two complete set`s of Obelix.Does anyone know just why he lug`s that stone around?

As you see rather bright Yellow ,and Orange plastic figures to go with the blue ones that were my first purchase out of this cool range of bygone figures!

Yes some very nice quirky figures including 4 different Roman Legionaries 3 with spears,and of course the Roman Officers too.It`s been a nice Sunday,and a pleasant time spent presenting these for others to view that wish. So thank you again for taking time out to view all these jolly little fellows. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by SamSagace on 31 Aug 2014, 16:51

Those figures are very very nice ! :thumbup:

I believe those two above should be holding something,but I do not know what

I think that they are the ones who carry the Chief Vitalstatistix (Abraracourcix, in french) on the shield.

Does anyone know just why he lug`s that stone around?

He builds the menhirs and he delivers to its customers!

oh! and I like the palisade ! :thumbup: :thumbup:
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Aug 2014, 17:53

Thank you Pascal,for explaining so much. I am quite ignorant of these thing`s. I do have a shield ,so perhaps I`ll try to set this scene you explained up with a figure on top. Thank you for liking the pile of pointed stick`s too. I must pay your Blog a visit again real soon. A very Grateful BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 31 Aug 2014, 18:44

Time to buy the comic books now, hahahaha
I did set up the pose with the chief on top.
But the shield is thin, so I have to think of a good way to solve this.
It works, but he fals of easy, so will be a glue pose I guess...
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Aug 2014, 22:41

My! Oh My! Do you know ? That if I stayed up 24hrs a day I`d really have no extra time to read other comic `s ,I am far to busy reading the Dandy and yes you guessed it the,Beano after all I am quite a BB.
I have a large shield like thing with a large star on it that came in the last packet I opened,so would this be the right one to use or is there another? Perhaps a jolly good picture would be nice to view if you could fix it up Remco, by using blue-Tack or in fact very sticky Bubble Gum! Now I think that's funny.

The shield is in this picture,but if it is not the one that is raised up,then please what is it for? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 01 Sep 2014, 07:01

The shield is correct, here a quick picture without gum but wit patience :mrgreen:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 01 Sep 2014, 08:12

High time to start reading this classic comic, BB. Start with the early ones and pray for a good translation. Pretty hilarious!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Sep 2014, 13:24

Thank`s it`s nice to know how the pieces go together,however I`ve not got the proper figure to stand upon the shield as yet.

Image.

Now in the meantime this does appear to be a somewhat of a Carry On!

" Never you mind Beano Boy.We can still jump up upon it .And be carried along in Great Fun," the little lad of extraordinary French Blue excitedly chuckled out ,to the very eccentric person taking the photo shot. Yes of course Fred and MayBell had to translate what was said,and so i pass it on,and the search from the east to the west continues onward.What figures will appear next i wonder? BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Dad's Army on 01 Sep 2014, 14:56

Well done, but remember to let those guys drink some special drink from the druide first... :mrgreen:

And the proper figure is standing on your shield first, his name: "Abraracourcix"
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Oct 2014, 14:59

The plastic Bubble Gum figure collection so far has cost, £ 44.40p This is not with postage included.

I have nearly the full set,that is if Dogmatix was included. Way back in the Day 1970`s the lables were all misprinted to contents and set numbers.A small thing really,but a big problem years later trying to collect them. There are only 8 figures to a pack,not the 10 as stated,and I believe there are 36 items to this set not figures.

The metal Asterix figure collection so far has cost,£180.91p. This is not with postage included.

The Gaul`s

I need C1707a, to complete set.

( These have been traced! waiting for market to settle down before buying!)

I need C170Ih,C170Ih, C170IK,and C170Id to complete the Gauls set.
( These have been traced! Waiting for market to settle down before buying.)

The Romans

I need C1702p,and C1702o to complete the Romans set.

( So 9 figures required for total completion )

The Egyptians

Complete set

The Pirates

Complete set

The Britons

Complete set .

Shopping Worldwide,can quite often mean that the shipping cost can be equivalent,yes equal to the cost of the item.

So whats happening now?

( This is nothing to do with shopping on E Bay! )

I am waiting for shipping cost`s to be reduced from US before buying item`s needed,and also a much reduced price on the items too ,and as always more doubles have to be bought with those required and this pushes up the price. So items traced, but by haggling on the issue of shipping cost of 62 Dollars US,( £38,64p Stirling! ) on two packages. Latest E- Mail from US confirmed yesterday 24 Dollars US for shipping,( £14.95p Sterling! ) Another tight squeeze and I will get this reduced even further and the item price too.If not,I walk away,and the Seller loses the sale. Playing this game is great fun! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 10 Oct 2014, 15:09

How many bubble gums did you chewed so far Paul? :-D :-D :-D
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Oct 2014, 18:32

None Dalibor,I sent them all to our friend Remco. I hear ,He danced a Jig when it all arrived.BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to General