General

my quest for Bubble Gum figures

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Jul 2014, 02:32

Recently I bought a packet of 1978 Asterix 30mm figures shown above. Bright blue figures. Since that time I`ve been on Dargaud Forum taking a look at things there.Finding out mainly all the interesting names of the characters!
In the series that I bought there are 36 Bubble gum figures to collect.However I would have better luck I think of trying to swim to the Moon than being able to collect all 36 figures from back in the day.Well that is what I thought,however I like a challenge and have traced another 7 of these fellows down from those far off chewy Bubble Gum days.

Differing colours true,but I have set my sights on buying these for my Toy Museum.

Gosh! Since I began typing this ,and saving the draft ,I `ve just traced them all,and all in Mint condition, including Dogmatix. Yippy! It took a couple of hour`s to track them down. All I have to do now is negotiate a fair price ,pay for them ,then await the Mail-man........... Again!
Trading with Canada, Argentina,and here in Britain, to obtain these,the cost of shipping is going to be crippling! But I am just a sucker when it comes to buying Toy`s. Thank`s for looking. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2014, 15:21

Image I never realised you could get these 28mm figures in metal.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2014, 20:42

Metal Magic Figures. Discontinued 1991
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Aug 2014, 22:25

Hi guys, good news I won all the 28mm metal Asterix figures just now on E Bay!
So I am well chuffed and over the moon.

( I had E Bay check them out and they are not re-cast`s ! Yes, you can do this.)

So I am now a little poor`er,but a lot richer when my friend paints them up for me. Yes I expect Mr Yard Brush will make a fine job of all those figures.
No, I`ll not help him at all,I`m far to busy writing.One must earn a crust,or royalties do not come in.
So it appears that I have Daleks making a fort,and a fine job of it,and a friend making a clean sweep of all the painting.Yes this is a dead keen hobby when you get lot`s of help from friends.

Thank you for looking at this open ended topic. Have fun BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Aug 2014, 01:34

Very good news,my Hornby HO OO collectors club addition Pug arrived in the mail today.Members who sign up for another years subscription receive one of these special Loco`s which cannot be bought on the market place. Here we can also see Honeywell Station,and the 28mm metal Asterix ,and Roman figures arrived too.I am so pleased with them,and the plastic bubble gum range too.

The official stamp and number from the The Asterix Miniatures Showcase can be seen on the underside of each base.
I will probably devalue them later by painting them,but this will be a worthwhile project that will hopefully involve some of my younger Grand children too over the holiday period. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Aug 2014, 01:02

I was really excited on the occasion when I managed to acquire a very large collection of Asterix and Obelix 28mm metal figures from a private collecter, and they should be delivered over the next 2 or 3 days. None have been painted.
The question is this ,"Do I devalue all the figures by having them painted?"
Can a Cock crow ?
Or a Duck paddle and stay afloat on my pond?
Of course they will be painted hopefully by my son.

Although these are 28mm figures,most are quite tiny and near or under 20mm mark.The bigger Roman Legioniers are that size.
I have hope that perhaps the whole set is there,but I don`t now.

The collection includes Gauls,Romans,Ceasar, as well as loads of Cleapatran`s,and Britons_________ including the rugby players. There are two exceptional Egyption Leopard`s too.

( Napoleonic`s are on hold until next year. )

A tiny showcase Dio was started week`s ago for these Asterix figures. So a few of these working siege machines and others have to be scratchbuilt soon to add to it.( studying the plans at this present time.)
Hopefully some pictures real soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Aug 2014, 04:04

I have aquired another set of 25 Asterix figures from Kuala Lumpur,Wilayah Malaysia, for my collection of these plastic Toy Figures. All are different from the figures that I already have. These little fellows are arriving thick and fast from all point`s of the compass now.There are some nice scratch build topics planned using these figures in the future.
I sincely hope that I will be able to show them all here on this topic. In this way I can sort of share them with viewers.I realise only to well,that the young kiddies ( Children! ) in the court yard where we all live find it quite amusing on this Forum watching this topic and One Just For Fun! Yes ,and they do call me Beano ! They giggle ,at the thought of calling me Boy! Well they range from 6 to 9 and there are 8 of them,and I am 65 and very ancient to them._______________________ Well,yes I am.
Have Fun BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Aug 2014, 19:52

Some very bad news,the Asterix collection that I paid a over one hundred fifty pounds for has been lost by Royal Mail.I am Gotted! Three other parcel's containing other metal and plastic figures have been lost too. Due to the utter incompetence of a relief mail man all my parcils have been delivered elsewhere.Of course they have not been passed onto me and Royal Mail will not look into the issue until the middle of next month.However they`ll do nothing because no recorded delivery or insurance had been taken out by any of the Seller`s. Yes I`ll get most of my money back ,but it was the Asterix collection that I so dearly wanted to show you guys,but now I can`t.
I took a photo showing that I had won this on E Bay.The other pictures of the collection was that placed on E Bay by the Seller.

So sorry guys that I could not show these figures in my Fort or tiny Village that I planed. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by mickey mouse on 12 Aug 2014, 20:01

Hi BB, Sorry to hear that from you.
Maybe it's better to do the insurance next time, so you get atleast your money back!
mickey mouse  Netherlands

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Aug 2014, 07:56

I can get my money back,because I paid by using my PayPal account. However I don`t like Seller`s taking a hit like this so I am thinking just to except all the loss's myself. I have been buying on E Bay for years and some of the countries I trade with the people are very poor,and I cannot for the life of me see why they should take the hit and have nothing to show for their effort`s. I must add if it had happened a few week`s ago I would have lost several book`s worth over £800 each,( I also collect hard to find Book`s ),and they were from big trading companies with Megger Insurance so I would not feel like I am feeling now for these poor guys who will have nothing if I ask for a refund. (Often the money is unimportant to me,but Basic Priciples are. ) All my model`s for the French & Indian wars are missing too.Now I will re-order again and insist that they do not use Royal Mail,but a reliable service like D P D . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Aug 2014, 21:36

28mm Gauls. Another Asterix & Obelix set. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2014, 00:11

Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2014, 00:13

Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2014, 00:15

Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 15 Aug 2014, 14:33

WOW, I am not a little bit jealous, but a lot. :roll:
As you maybe have seen on my blog (see here), I got al lot of the metal figures, but my series is not completed :(
I love these figures, but also the bubblegum series, and I am always looking for them between old toys on fairs ;-)
But 149 pound for the serie is bit to much for my, its a hobby...
Still want to have the other metal figures, so if you found a place I am willing to hear!!!
Even if I buy just a few, cause I paint slow, and I don't want to spend to much money on them...
And reading the parcel has lost, mmmm some bad luck here (hope you are not been ripped off)

Interesting topic for, can't stop looking at the pictures :love: :love: :love:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2014, 16:17

Dads Army ,thank you kindly for your nice supporting comment`s. It is also a great hobby for me too,and I am happy to be able to share and show my stuff,to others who get a buzz out of collecting and making thing`s . Or for those who simply just like to look at toys of yesteryear.
The expense for the figure collection justifies my scratch building out-lay for materials in which I needed to accomplish a purpose which is in the end,to give these figures and others besides something a little bit more special for photo shoots, and for telling stories. All to be shared for Free!

I hope everyone that views more of the collection will enjoy what follows.

Egyption`s above

More Egyptions above.

Lot`s more Romans,two Ceasar`s were among the collection.So I guess Ceasar has a twin brother now.

Above and below are the Ruby Footballer`s

I am 8 figures short of all the figures needed to make up the complete 28mm range of Asterix figures.

Image Roman`s.

More of the plastic Asterix figures should arrive in a couple of week`s,I geuss they are enjoying the slow boat ride from the Far East,and these figures are indeed my favorites!

Both the 1978 Dargaud plastic figures,and the metal 28mm Asterix range of figures are nearly completed set`s now. I am so way below my budget set aside for this quest that it has now made it possible for me to include all the new`er range of Asterix plastic toy figures too,( Not Pixi! That's Silly Money! ) ,and perhaps Lucky Luke! That is,If I can get a good combined postage deal from the Seller."No deal,No Sale!" Have Fun Beano Boy
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2014, 21:49

Dads Army kind of you to comment and raise concern on my behalf,and no I was not ripped off concerning lost parcel`s .I had proof of posting on my P C Tracking System. In the end I was not content to just wait a whole month for Royal Mail to sort this out.So this poor widows son pulled a few string`s, and the powers that be found all my parcel`s including the prized 84 piece collection that I paid £149 for. So this is very good news indeed and I have had all my parcel`s. There was one joker with half as many figures for sale who wanted £280 ,I simply said Bye! I remember always the old saying concerning Seller`s," Better the fast Shilling rather than the slow Pound!" Have fun BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 16 Aug 2014, 11:31

You are so lucky Paul, I keep comming back to this post with tears in my eyes :lol:
So much of the metal figures, even double ones.
Well if you think you have to much, keep me informed hahahahaha
i only paint the plastic gum figures now, thats all there is left here ;-)

And from the Lucky Luke series I got 3 of the 4 daltons and an indian.
So one day this will be painted here as well!!

I must say its so much fun, to see another using the same figures.
Good luck on the paint job Paul!

Greetings Remco
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Aug 2014, 18:56

Thing`s are about to turn in the favour of the Asterix figures,because the work on that Roman Fort is speeding up,and full steam ahead. Perhaps it might turn into a Paddle Steamer! Remco it is then,thank`s for your interest too. Did they ever make tiny Asterix figures 3/8 th of an inch which so small? I have a lead on some Stateside of the pond,( Atlantic! ),but I`m puzzled by this small scale perhaps they came out of Kinder Egg`s ? I see the viewing shooting up on this topic,so yes there is interest out there for these cartoonish type caractures . I must admit I have never read one of the book`s or even seen one of the movies. Well after all ,I am a just Beano Boy!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by HoScaleGeek on 16 Aug 2014, 21:14

Are the bubble gum figures rare in the UK? There is a pretty good chance of encountering them in the Netherlands. We have a site called www.marktplaats.nl in our country.
Several search terms in Dutch that may help:
- Asterix poppetjes (="little Asterix figurines") that's what they are usually called
- Asterix figuurtjes (idem)
- Asterix figuren ("Asterix figures")
If you have hits on Marktplaats, you can see in what categories they mostly occur and see what they are called otherwise, but I'm pretty sure I have mentioned the most usual namings of them. Good luck!
HoScaleGeek  Netherlands

Next page

Return to General