Gallery

Chariots

Posted by ModernKiwi on 15 May 2009, 23:43

Just a thought despertaferro, but I suspect that the thinners within enamel paints are what is affecting the plastic of the figures you (and I) are having problems with. I am going to try sealing the figure first with a coat of white acrylic.

Right, well I have just undercoated a dozen Caesar figures with white acrylic. Will wait and see how that turns out. If it doesn't work, I may try Gesso.
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by despertaferro on 16 May 2009, 08:29

I think you're right, the thinners are the problem. I tried once to paint the figures with an acrylic coat first but only delayed for a few days the appearance of the shinny look. But maybe the coat was'nt thick enough.
Just let me now what you find!
:thumbup:
despertaferro  

Posted by ModernKiwi on 16 May 2009, 23:59

Well I ended up painting 6 Caesar Modern US figures with an undercoat of white acrylic, then painting with enamels over the top. The results were ... mixed. I think I must have depended upon how thickly I undercoated. Some had a very good result, while others are still sticky 18 hours after the initial enamel coat. But even those (perhaps only in my imagination) are less sticky than their non-undercoated brothers.

I will buy some Gesso this week (hopefully in white as black will make things harder for me), and see how that performs.
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by despertaferro on 17 May 2009, 00:12

Wow, that was quick! I would take a week to find it out. Great information! Thank you very much for sharing! I guess we have to change to acrylics, somehow... Because some figures may loose detail with a too thick base coat... :?
despertaferro  

Posted by Paul on 17 May 2009, 10:20

I changed to Acrylics a while back cos of many reasons, one being a `shiny effect`They also have a quiker drying time and seem to mix better.
Paul  China

Posted by ModernKiwi on 18 May 2009, 13:21

Just a quick update, but all of the Caesars I painted seem to have the paint fully dried and can be handled without any sticky-ness. I am going to keep using the undercoat from now on.
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by despertaferro on 18 May 2009, 14:12

These are good news! I'll do the same thing from now on. Thank you very much, ModernKiwi :thumbup:
Would be nice to see how these figures looks like... Knowing your previous works, I'm sure they're great :thumbup:
despertaferro  

Previous page

Return to Gallery