Tutorials

Making Palm Trees

Posted by Helveticum on 26 Mar 2009, 19:17

Hi Folks
OK as promised here we go with my first tutorial.
......hold on....it wan't be so quick for the next ones....this one is a tutorial i've made a couple of years ago. :lol:
For the next ones i need to shot picture and write a text........will take a while :oldman:

Ok,let's start.
This is my way how I make palm trees, of course there are several way to make palms but i found this one quite a realistic one (i'll explain later why)
Needed materials:
- wire (0,2 to 0,5 thick)
- DAS Pronto (modelling clay)
- special glue

STEP 1
Take about 50-60 cm of Alu foil and fold it in two. Alu foils have a "shining" and a "matt" side, fold it so that the matt side is "outside". Glue the two shining sides together with a very strong glue (special glue....remember it's Alu!). Let the glue dry (give attention that you spread well the glue) and then after spray it with a dark shade of green or dark olive green. Once the paint is dry give it a little layer of matt varnish (otherwise the paint will chip of).

STEP 2
Draw the form of the palm leaves on the Alu foil (make big, small and medium size to have a choice). Cut the leaves one by one out and check that ALL are well glued together. Take a wire (lead or silver.....i'm using silver one because they are "softer") and cut it a bit longer than the leaf itself, glue it in the center of the leaf (use rapid drying glue).

STEP 3
Here is the moment to paint the leaves.
My way to do it is that i will use two shade of a lighter green and then a wash with dark green (very diluited). Now the last touch:
Using yellow or similar shades, drybrush the leaves very lightly, retouch if necessary the greens. The central wire is in golden brown or somethings similar (it can be also in a green shade).

STEP 4
Using a "curved" cissor, start to cut the leaves. I always start from the top, "slicing" the alu until you "feel" the central wire. Once you've cut the leaves, you must give the last retouches. In fact cutting the alu will make it so that probably in some "spots" you'll have a shining alu!! Just give a touch of green or yellow on the spot. Give now on the whole leaf a diluited black wash.

STEP 5
The leaves are now finished. Just give them the shape you want and that's it!!

STEP 6
Let's make the palm trunk now.
Take a piece of plastic of the required lenght you want (you can use sprues plastic or barbecue wood sticks). This will be the "heart" of the trunk. Take a quantity of modelling clay and roll it like a cigar until you reach the desired diameter. Stick the plastic or wood all trough the modelling clay cigar.
Wait about 5-10 minutes and then, with a knife start to modell the trunk by just pressing the knife on the trunk, simulating the typical palm trunk.
To paint the trunk, i usualy use a very dark shade as a base and then lightening with light colours.....at the end a brown or black wash.

STEP 7
Now we have to assembly the whole thing.
Drill small holes in the palm trunk, take the leaves one by one, and with a strong glue, glue it in the holes you've made. Shape leaf by leaf now, giving them the shape you desire.
Here some example of finished Palm trees:

OK, i think ....this is it!!
Feel free to ask any questions.

Last word:
This technik has advantage and disvantage:
Advantage is that you can give the form you like at the leaves, you can even shape the small strip on the leaves one by one (if you like!!). The result is, in my opinion, very realistic.

Disvantages are basically the long working procedure (...good and nice things ...need time!!)

The same technik you can use it with paper made leaves but these ones are much difficult to shape and bend.....and at the end the result is better with alu.

OK, i hope you can understand my english and my explanation......otherwise, just ask again :mrgreen:

Enjoy it and........keep modelling!!!
Helveticum  Switzerland

Posted by Paul on 26 Mar 2009, 19:54

Thanks Helveticum, it all `looks`so simple when you know how, now I´d like to know how you do the small stripey leaves, similar method?
The other two jungle scenes are excellent aswell, Thanks again :thumbup:
Paul  China

Posted by montecristo on 26 Mar 2009, 19:58

"In Italia per trent’anni sotto i Borgia hanno avuto guerra intestina, terrore, omicidi e spargimento di sangue, ma hanno prodotto Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci e il Rinascimento. In Svizzera hanno avuto amorosa fratellanza, cinquecento anni di democrazia e di pace, e che cosa hanno prodotto?" Un MITICO tutorial sulle palme :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
montecristo  

Posted by Helveticum on 26 Mar 2009, 20:14

For Paul
For small leaves and other stuff, you'll have to wait a while. I promise that i will do it as next...ok? ;-)

For Montecristo
Grazie.....troppo buono :oops: :oops:
Helveticum  Switzerland

Posted by ColeF on 26 Mar 2009, 23:56

Thanx, very useful. ;-)
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 27 Mar 2009, 00:12

Yes, thank you very much for that. Very good!
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 27 Mar 2009, 10:13

Helveticum wrote:For Paul
For small leaves and other stuff, you'll have to wait a while. I promise that i will do it as next...ok? ;-)

Can´t wait, hopefully with new dioramas.
Thanks
Paul  China

Posted by Maurice on 27 Mar 2009, 13:55

Seen the process for making leaves before, but the way you make the trunk is new to me. Sounds like a good way to make a realistic trunk, better then the "wrap a wire around a piece of wood" process.

Eh, Montechristo, please, not everyone speaks Italian here, could you stick with English? ;-)
Maurice  

Posted by Michel on 27 Mar 2009, 14:09

Where can I buy the Palms...?;-)
Michel  Germany

Posted by montecristo on 27 Mar 2009, 14:15

Maurice you are right but it was for making a wisecrack with helveticum and I was not able to translate it in English.
Besides I have noticed that on the forum there are also German expressions, French and Dutch.
It won't happen anymore however ;-)
montecristo  

Posted by Siegfried on 27 Mar 2009, 16:29

Thanks very much! :thumbup:
looking forward to more turtorials!

Cheers,

Christiaan
Siegfried  

Posted by Helveticum on 28 Mar 2009, 11:55

similar method?

Haha.....this reminds me to that sketch...

."..hic....same procedure as last year...hic"

You know that one with the drunk servant and the lady?

Alex ;-)
Helveticum  Switzerland

Posted by rpardo on 28 Mar 2009, 21:40

A great tutorial! Waiting to see another about european trees!
rpardo  Spain

Posted by chen on 28 Mar 2009, 23:37

Excellent tutorial! :shock: :thumbup: :shock: Thanks for sharing, Helveticum!

I've a question concerning the diorama. What make of the white bird on the top of the tree, and what's the little truck in the Burma 1942-43 diorama?
chen  China

Posted by Helveticum on 29 Mar 2009, 02:29

For chen
The bird is From PREISER.
The small truck is a Kurogane pick up....manufacturer if i'm not wrong is SMA (scale model accessories.....unfortunately now out of business)

Alex
Helveticum  Switzerland

Posted by chen on 29 Mar 2009, 08:26

Thank you for answering, Alex. Your dioramas are really fantastic work, on modelling as well as on composition.
chen  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 29 Mar 2009, 11:51

Helveticum wrote:
similar method?

Haha.....this reminds me to that sketch...

."..hic....same procedure as last year...hic"

You know that one with the drunk servant and the lady?

Alex ;-)

Dinner for two
Paul  China

Posted by Helveticum on 29 Mar 2009, 12:14

Ganz genau Paul
Helveticum  Switzerland

Posted by MABO on 29 Mar 2009, 14:03

Very nice tutorial and a good impressive way to build the palm trees. They look much better than the ready made trees you can buy in the shops.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 30 Mar 2009, 19:24

Thanks for sharing this with us :thumbup:

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Tutorials