Forum & Help

Split 1/72 Gallery in several subforums?

Split 1/72 Gallery in several subforums.

Poll ended at 29 Jul 2011, 09:57

Yes - Ages
41%
Yes - Other
6%
Not necessary
53%

Total votes : 17

Posted by jmchasco on 29 Jun 2011, 09:57

Hi all !
I'm not sure if i'm posting on the correct subforum... but, i will try...

I can't come to see the forum each day, in fact there is a lot of days which i can't, so once i come back is hard to view all the new entries on 1/72 gallery subforum, and there is a lot of work to do to reply all....
During weekends , when there are a lot of updates, topics quickly goes down on the list and never come back to have visibility... so they get outdated in a couple of days....
I think it could be a good idea split 1/72 gallery subforum through ages, following for example the PSR era list, which is as follows:

Ancient World
Republican Rome
Imperial Rome
Late Antiquity
Dark Ages
Medieval Europe
Medieval Asia
Ottoman Empire
Renaissance
Thirty Years War
English Civil War
Early America
Ukrainian Cossack Revolt
Great Northern War
Pirates
War of the Spanish Succession
Jacobite Rebellions
Seven Years War
American War of Independence
French Revolution and Revolutionary Wars
Napoleonic Wars
War of 1812
Carlist Wars
Texan War of Independence
US-Mexican War
Crimean War
Italian Wars of Independence
American Civil War
American Western Frontier
Franco-Prussian War
Russo-Turkish War 1877
Zulu Wars
Mahdist Revolt
North-West Frontier (India)
Spanish-American War
Sudan 1898
Second Anglo-Boer War
Boxer Rebellion
French North Africa
Russo-Japanese War
World War I
American Expedition in Mexico 1916
20th Century Revolutions
Russian Civil War
Rif War (1920)
Spanish Civil War
World War II
Korean War
Cold War
Vietnam War
Modern

Maybe we can (must) simplify it, or many of the ages never will be update.
With several subforums on 1/72 gallery it will easier to follow your favourite periods, and posts will not get outdated so quickly, so members who comes from time to time can still view a lot of post according to their interests.
Other splits are possible, for example:
Dios
Stand alone figures
Vehicles
Game units
and so...
but i found more useful a period split...

what do you think ?!
(Vote on the poll) :mrgreen:

Cheers
jmchasco  Spain

Posted by jmchasco on 29 Jun 2011, 10:30

I forget to put my suggestion of simplified ages:

Antiquity
Medieval - until XV century.
XVI - XVII - XVIII
Napoleonic
ACW
Colonial
World War I
World War II
Modern
Others

Cheers.
jmchasco  Spain

Posted by ModernKiwi on 29 Jun 2011, 10:57

I chose "not necessary". I like being exposed to a wide variety of era's, it has taught me lots.
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by jmchasco on 29 Jun 2011, 11:28

ModernKiwi wrote:I like being exposed to a wide variety of era's, it has taught me lots.
:thumbup:
I like all eras too, i just love to see each painted figure... building.. dio... and so. :mrgreen:

but, think in other questions... sorting have some benefits, of course it involves work from an Administrator to create subforums, and work from Moderators to keep sorted the new topics (i think you choose no by this :mrgreen: )... but it allows to achieves some useful questions:

1. Sort is good... if you start a new project... a Colonial one for example, you can see quickly all the related topics in the concrete subforum... in other way you must surf a lot of pages, try search, and so... and sure will not see all the good stuff available in the forum for your project...

2. A chance to posts to no expire in a week or so... movement in gallery section is quite huge some times, and in 10 days or less, topics go to page 2... an then forgotten... as nobody as time enough to see many posts, and many of us haven't time to come here each two days...

Anyway, poll will talk itself, if there isn't interest in this.. :cheers: it's OK !
The only i guess is than a lot of members see this post and choose in the poll, and we will see. !!!
maybe it can be mentioned on the gallery forum (i never come until today to this subforum... :oops: )???

Cheers
jmchasco  Spain

Posted by Dad's Army on 29 Jun 2011, 11:43

Some members have trouble to put post in the right subforum, this will make it to hard, so I don´t think its a good plan.
And like Chris says, its fun to see all that work from everyone.

In the future there will be tags added to the post to solve your problem, only don´t know when Benno has a plan to realise it :?
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Peter on 29 Jun 2011, 11:54

I have the same thought as Chris. It would also give the moderators more work with moving posts to the right subforum.

In the future when the forum is moved, Benno would look if the use of tags could be introduced. If yes, you could do a selection on what you want to see. Wait and see, I suggest. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by jmchasco on 29 Jun 2011, 12:14

Peter wrote:I have the same thought as Chris. It would also give the moderators more work with moving posts to the right subforum.

In the future when the forum is moved, Benno would look if the use of tags could be introduced. If yes, you could do a selection on what you want to see. Wait and see, I suggest. ;-)

I must admint tags could be a solutions, even with more potency than just subcategories, as they are in fact a traversal categorization of the information, all of us who have a blog know what i'm talking about...

but...

you think people is unable to post in the correct subforum, but think they are capable to put the correct tag ?
one will put wwII other will put ww2 other World War Two.. and so.. also involves work to maintain tags properly ordered... and for this you need a system which allow this, edit a tag to convert in anther, or you will be editing a lot of topics to put the correct tag...

by the way both systems are compatible... think in a WWII subcategory... and tags for German, English, Panzergranadier , Late War, or anything related to wwII, if you only have a tag system without category and put an "English" tag it will list English arw, English 100 years war, and many others... you want so ?

:think:
jmchasco  Spain

Posted by ColeF on 29 Jun 2011, 12:47

Peter wrote:It would also give the moderators more work with moving posts to the right subforum.

Isn't that what moderators are for? ;-)

I think subforums are a great idea. :thumbup:
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by Michel on 29 Jun 2011, 12:59

In my Opinion is it necessary to split like Cole´s Idea...
Dios
Vignettes
Stand alone figures
Vehicles
Game units...

..or in Time Periods!
Michel  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 29 Jun 2011, 13:05

Michel wrote:In my Opinion is it necessary to split like Cole´s Idea...
Dios
Vignettes
Stand alone figures
Vehicles
Game units...

..or in Time Periods!

I think that time periods would be enough. Giving them an additional substructure would lead to a bunch of cathegories containing only one or two posts.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by ColeF on 29 Jun 2011, 13:09

I would say group them by dios, vignettes, etc. or time period. Only one is necessary.
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by poky on 29 Jun 2011, 19:57

split in ages would be nice but not to many unless there is a need for it I would pick a top5 and the rest under other
poky  Netherlands

Posted by jmchasco on 29 Jun 2011, 20:35

Seems to be a close poll here... :think:
i think it could be good for Administration know what members think, but it will not achieved in this subforum, as many members don't come here never ... just 12 votes aren't enough.

I still think the better idea is the union of tags with a well selected range of subcategories, as poky suggest.

i hope more members take party in this question.

Maybe with a categorized gallery the projects and gallery forum could be joined, and also the 18mm and smaller forum. I see the number of topics and replies in each forum and obviously many members just watch the gallery ones, so join all could be a good idea to give more movement to the other two. But this is another question... :think:

Cheers !!!!

By the way as with tags or categories Moderators will have more work than now i'm pretty sure many members of the forum will be more than happy to be Moderators. I think in you @Paul :mrgreen: and sure others.

Cheers again !!!!
jmchasco  Spain

Posted by Paul on 29 Jun 2011, 20:55

jmchasco wrote: I think in you @Paul :mrgreen: and sure others.

Cheers again !!!!

Thanks but no thanks...I am happy as I am.. :-D
I have my work cut out with producing stuff and winging about the web without adding the task of mod on top.
Also...many thanks for your very kind offer the other day..:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I am still considering wether to do this idea :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Benno on 30 Jun 2011, 16:36

Starting a poll was a good initiative. However there won't be more subforums. By adding more subforums it will be even harder to keep track of all the topics for both moderators as to people who are interested in multiple periods (take for example The Miniatures Page message boards).

In stead there will be tags. These tags have fixed names so you can choose one of these from a list when starting a topic. I think there would be a limit of about 30 tags. That way moderators don't need to fix tags, and people who like to see "single figures" or "colonial period" topics can do so by selecting the appropriate tag.

At the moment it's not possible to implement tags. The forum is not moved to the new server yet so adding tags now would mean that the forum will have more downtime. Once the forum is moved to the new server I want to implement the tags.

I believe tags are a win-win situation for all. So tags it is. :-)
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Peter on 30 Jun 2011, 17:11

And now the famous words of the judge:

Case closed! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Konrad on 30 Jun 2011, 17:34

Benno wrote:The forum is not moved to the new server yet....

:angry3: What the hell you do the whole day,eh? :angry3:
;-)
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by jmchasco on 30 Jun 2011, 19:21

:cheers:
Hoping to see soon the "new" forum.

By the way, i have been working on the net eleven years, i'm computer engineer, managing the following sites as part of my job:
http://www.elle.es
http://www.diezminutos.es
http://www.fotogramas.es
blogs.elle.es
foros.elle.es
and much more...

tags system works pretty well, but always in conjunction with a good base categories. ;-)

If i can help with something to migrate the forum it will be a pleasure. My specialities are at this moment php+mysql and javascript (almost all with jquery) and also have a very good level of html+css, including some features of HTML 5, analytics and other things not applicable here, so if you need another hand for work, i'm ready !.

Cheers.
jmchasco  Spain

Posted by Benno on 30 Jun 2011, 19:54

jmchasco wrote:If i can help with something to migrate the forum it will be a pleasure. My specialities are at this moment php+mysql and javascript (almost all with jquery) and also have a very good level of html+css, including some features of HTML 5, analytics and other things not applicable here, so if you need another hand for work, i'm ready !.
Cheers for that! I'm learning PHP and Javascript but I'm far from a professional though. I might ask you for help in the future. :-D
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Paul on 30 Jun 2011, 20:05

I can get the use of a flatbed lorry for the move...only on friday afternoons though :rabbit:
Paul  China

Next page

Return to Forum & Help