Officers Mess

Stop SOPA

Posted by Winttrix on 14 Jan 2012, 02:53

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA, H.R. 3261) is on the surface a bill that attempts to curb online piracy. Sadly, the proposed way it goes about doing this would devastate the online economy and the overall freedom of the web. It would particularly affect sites with heavy user generated content. Sites like Youtube, Reddit, Twitter, and others may cease to exist in their current form if this bill is passed.

The Protect IP Act (PIPA, S. 968) is SOPA's twin in the Senate. Under current DMCA law, if a user uploads a copyrighted movie to sites like Youtube, the site isn't held accountable so long as they provide a way to report user infringement. The user who uploaded the movie is held accountable for their actions, not the site. PIPA would change that - it would place the blame on the site itself, and would also provide a way for copyright holders to seize the site's domain in extreme circumstances.

Sometimes I hate my country. Please stop this at http://sopablackout.org/

Thanks
Winttrix  United States of America

Posted by arkhunter2002 on 16 Jan 2012, 02:23

Amen. :cheers:
arkhunter2002  United States of America

Posted by Winttrix on 17 Jan 2012, 03:56

I don't know what makes these people think they can shut down Youtube or any other site for copyright infringement by its users.

It's really despicable :angry3: :angry3:

Posted by Paul on 18 Jan 2012, 10:19

Unfortunately I can´t register a complaint and they wouldn´t listen anyway..they don´t do democracy in the real world so why start with the web?
I wouldn´t wory. If they do, and they will, to some degree or other then a lot of people (the anonymous org etc ) will use it as a jumping/rallying point to make their (the supporters of SOPA etc) PC screens appear similar to todays Wikipedia site...blank.
They want to block youtube? Why all of a sudden? because of the peeing incident??
Even thier best protected systems have been hacked lately. They cannot defend the indefensable.
Let them do it..I have every confidence in their incompetance :-D
Paul  China

Posted by Paul on 18 Jan 2012, 14:11

Paul wrote:Unfortunately I can´t register a complaint

Oh..but I can :-D Still won´t stop it but ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCtal_Legend
Paul  China

Posted by vellek on 19 Jan 2012, 19:47

Fear not; it's badly written, too broad, and will never survive a court challenge.

That being said, with the way the entertainment/broadcasting industries are lobbying, it doesn't mean we'll never see something like SOPA-lite someday...
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Winttrix on 19 Jan 2012, 20:46

vellek wrote:Fear not; it's badly written, too broad, and will never survive a court challenge.

That being said, with the way the entertainment/broadcasting industries are lobbying, it doesn't mean we'll never see something like SOPA-lite someday...

The lawmakers probably are backing down in time for the election, but afterwards they'll most likely return it to bill form. Let them try- if Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, or Youtube are shut down for copyright infringement, there will be rioting... :mrgreen:

Posted by poky on 22 Jan 2012, 22:52

good thing that SOPA is now postponed, bad thing is still PIPA and ACTA left
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Count ... _Agreement
both are not any better then SOPA
poky  Netherlands

Posted by laurence strong on 23 Jan 2012, 00:30

Internet slacktivism at its best. Most people won't give a crap and do anything substantive like call or write their senator. It is much easy to post it to FB or twitter and call themselves a hero for standing up to the man.
laurence strong  

Posted by Winttrix on 23 Jan 2012, 00:42

laurence strong wrote:Internet slacktivism at its best. Most people won't give a crap and do anything substantive like call or write their senator. It is much easy to post it to FB or twitter and call themselves a hero for standing up to the man.

:roll: I wrote all my reps several times :roll:

Posted by laurence strong on 23 Jan 2012, 04:15

Hi Emmett

I am sure that there are a large number of people who can and do write their Reps, however I doubt that there would be enough to make a difference...Can't hurt to try though. :thumbup:
laurence strong  

Posted by Winttrix on 23 Jan 2012, 08:49

Well they did stand down ATM :-D

Posted by Paul on 23 Jan 2012, 11:42

Quote wiki quoting Leahy;

Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect American intellectual property, criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy."

The way he´s put it makes me think of a bunch of characters similar to the beagle boys but with outrageous foriegn accents.
"so ivan..have you downloaded ze last greatest hits volume 15 of ze re-release of ze greatest hits of ze best of bruce springsteen?, muhaha!!! muha" :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Winttrix on 23 Jan 2012, 23:31

Paul wrote:The way he´s put it makes me think of a bunch of characters similar to the beagle boys but with outrageous foriegn accents.
"so ivan..have you downloaded ze last greatest hits volume 15 of ze re-release of ze greatest hits of ze best of bruce springsteen?, muhaha!!! muha" :-)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That guy makes me ashamed to be an American. He should realize that it's mostly Americans pirating software and movies.

Return to Officers Mess