Officers Mess

Blogs under "attack"

Posted by Paul on 14 Jun 2011, 09:16

There appears to be something odd happening to a lot of blogs at the moment...a spike in registered hits.
This is assumed to be one of two things
1. A virus..unlikely as blogger has some pretty good virus detection and a lot of people have run virus scans and found nothing
2. Blogger has mucked up and changed something leading to all the blog rolls communicating with each other, basically they are swopping the hits from each blog on a blog roll to the blogs which are shown and mutually showing that blog on it´s blog roll.

So any bloggers here experiencing this...sorry..you ain´t suddenly become famous..it´s a glich :-D
Paul  China

Posted by ModernKiwi on 14 Jun 2011, 10:49

I don't have one of those fancy counters on my blog - I fear I'd get depressed if I looked at the numbers.

:D
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by Paul on 14 Jun 2011, 14:55

ModernKiwi wrote:I don't have one of those fancy counters on my blog - I fear I'd get depressed if I looked at the numbers.

Nor do I...it´s part of your dashboard...you get a basic stats counter. It seems to be a problem all over the place...some people are reporting a doubling of thier stat count. Ill visit your blog in a short while...see if the amount of traffic from my blog linking to yours goes up. (and i don´t mean just the one visit :-) )
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 14 Jun 2011, 14:58

ModernKiwi wrote:I don't have one of those fancy counters on my blog - I fear I'd get depressed if I looked at the numbers.

But you have statistics on your dashboard, don't you? Have a look there.

I have 10 times more views on my blog. Strange that most of them are from the US, UK and AUS. What doesn't mean you get more comments or followers. Seems to me that our blogs are chatting with eachother :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 14 Jun 2011, 15:48

I´ve just left a message on your Blog peter...see what happens around the time I posted.
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 14 Jun 2011, 16:29

At this moment the hits are going down. Look at your own stats, and see what happens there.

Noticed another strange thing, no views from my own country the last month, and in my global stats they're on the third place :?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zzed on 14 Jun 2011, 23:16

Peter wrote:..Noticed another strange thing, no views from my own country the last month, and in my global stats they're on the third place :?

but, Peter, what is strange here :?
zzed  Croatia

Posted by ModernKiwi on 15 Jun 2011, 00:19

Doesn't look too weird to me, but I'll leave it to those more experienced than me to work out what the stats mean.

ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by Paul on 15 Jun 2011, 08:24

:shock: :shock: :shock:
You don´t see that? The two things...
The figoblogotheque/wargamesblogs blogroll hits...as you know they are blog roll blogs, the more you post..the more often you are up at the top of the list and therefore more likely to get traffic from them. You have over 400 hits in one week from them...which is similar to what everyone else is saying...that and blogs of war blog roll. As you don´t post that often..or not as often as some, the likelyhood of your hits from them being so large is very unlikely. (not impossible but unlikely)
The stats pattern...it is almost exaxctly the same as mine..the peaks and troughs, virtually no difference.

The hits from my blog...it says I have a lot of traffic and they are looking at your blog from my blog roll but the same applies as with Figoblogtheque...the higher you ae the better (hit wise)
The fact that Frans blog, and mine (amongst others) are appearing as high traffic sources could be something to do with how many followers we have...or that we have a large blogroll list.

Add the top 3 together and you have got over 10% of your total hits in one week from 3 blogs!!! ....a spike if ever there was one, the same with me and nearly everyone else!!!

If this continues...I will set up a blog roll blog...monetise the thing and never have to work again :-D
Paul  China

Posted by ModernKiwi on 15 Jun 2011, 09:52

I'm glad you can make sense of it. :drool:
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by Paul on 15 Jun 2011, 10:47

ModernKiwi wrote:I'm glad you can make sense of it. :drool:

:lol:
Not only that...the posts hit....4 page reviews for the reavers...this should be a lot more in comparison to the amount of hits.
In one week you have had 9 hits from your top ten..I assume all the others make a total of 16?
This means you take the 16 from the total of page reviews per traffic sources...(831) which then gives you 815...this means you must have at least 815 other posts that have scored a 1..I don´t think so..unless you are hiding something :-)
The same pattern made me think when I noticed the spike on my blog..I did the maths over 3 days and worked out that I must have a hell of a lot of posts that are all getting a 1 and that makes absolutely no logical sense.

Another odd one...the countries of origin on the Audience map...they get a darker green as you get more traffic from them..your map shows the US and UK as dark green but not germany or France. This may be due to where the provider is sitting but my provider is based in germany. That would mean that germany should be dark green in relation to the amount of hits you got from my blog. The same with Figoblogtheque..( I assume he is using a french provider...(he´s Golanthian Army)

This is the same for me....the UK though is light green...and I´m getting a lot of traffic from there.

There is a theory now that google has speeded up the blog rolls somehow and this is a true picture of your hits. I think this is optomistic and unreal.
I think it´s got a lot to do with the new Plus1 button...most of the sits that are registering traffic have it..mine as well and it came into full usage about...??? ..a week ago ;-)
Paul  China

Posted by Guynemer on 15 Jun 2011, 11:31

Paul, I think you are just not willing to accept that your blog is so popular :lol: ;-)

I had the same problem with my facebook account. I got a counter and it said that 1000 girls were viewing my wall per week, but later found out it was fake :(
Guynemer  

Posted by Paul on 15 Jun 2011, 12:24

Guynemer wrote:Paul, I think you are just not willing to accept that your blog is so popular :lol: ;-)

I had the same problem with my facebook account. I got a counter and it said that 1000 girls were viewing my wall per week, but later found out it was fake :(

Thanks but it does seem to be a problem noticed by a lot of bloggers
You have a facebook account??
Paul  China

Posted by Guynemer on 15 Jun 2011, 12:32

What teenager doesn't have facebook? ^^ I'll add you if you have an account :-)
Guynemer  

Posted by Paul on 15 Jun 2011, 12:35

Guynemer wrote:What teenager doesn't have facebook? ^^ I'll add you if you have an account :-)

On my blog, right hand side...near the bottom there´s a Networkedblogs link..it´s facebook ;-)
Paul  China

Posted by Guynemer on 15 Jun 2011, 12:41

Got it :-D
Guynemer  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by poky on 17 Jun 2011, 22:16

no problems here but then I only have 111 hit at the moment, just started only 4-5 posts
poky  Netherlands

Posted by Paul on 17 Jun 2011, 22:26

poky wrote:no problems here but then I only have 111 hit at the moment, just started only 4-5 posts

We all have to start somewhere :-)
It seems to have sorted itsself now...the hits have gone back to normal

Your link ...should look like this http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/ in light blue, make a gap betwwen the "k" and the http... ;-) :-)

and you have at least 112 his now :-) ;-)
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 18 Jun 2011, 08:51

Indeed everything is back to normal.

@Poky: make that 113 ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by poky on 29 Jun 2011, 17:43

thanks Paul dont not see that and know 167 views, some day I will hit a 1.000.000

Edit there is a space between work and http but it simple would turn in to a link also tried the URL button
poky  Netherlands

Return to Officers Mess