Officers Mess

Help with Spanish trip!

Posted by Adam on 25 Apr 2008, 11:11

Hello chaps,
Me and my other half are finally getting married on HMS Warrior next year (lord knows I have left it long enough!) and we would like a honeymoon in Spain. I'm not a great flyer so I have to make the most of it when I do go!)

The mrs is a huge history fan as with me and loves her napoleonic history-mainly penisula and mainly due to bernard cornwell! So we had a vague idea of two weeks of history stuff and walks and then beachy holiday!

We were hoping to fly to Talavera/Badajoz as the flights seem cheap enough, then spend a week looking round our main list including- Talavera, Badajoz, and Salamanca both batlefield and city. We would like to see both napoleonic and medieval/roman etc things of note in the area. We were hoping to a hire a car for the week to travel around and stay in a hotel for a few nights then travel to the next, then at the end of the week maybe to get a train to southern portugal/spain and have a more lazy holiday!

We were looking for maybe some advice for things to see, or good hotels, or things to watch out for, maybe even some things we should consider adding and or not doing? As we are trying to book online before hand any goo dlinks, or links to good sites would be great

cheers guys!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Siegfried on 25 Apr 2008, 19:20

well, congrats chap! :beer: Can't tell you much about Spain though. Travelling by train is terrific, once took the train from Florence (Firenze) to Rom (Roma) with my father when I was 12 (or was it 13? :scratch: )
My experience is that one sees much more of a country when travelling by train than travelling by car.

Suppose Rafa could spoil you with info on Spain.

Cheers,

Christiaan
Siegfried  

Posted by Valion on 28 Apr 2008, 22:03

Congrats from me, either. I hope the two of you find the fulfillment of all the good wishes you have towards that step :)

Considering the trip to Spain, you might want to go to the Costa Brava, in the very east of Spain.... or Catalunya, to be more precise. Napoleon had some trouble there, as far as I know ?! ;)
And besides that, there's the ruins of Empuria Brava, a former Greek colony you both might want to see.
I was there at the age of 16 or 17, and I still remember how amazing I found it being there and seeing all those impressiv landmarks of civilization and European culture. And as Barcelona isn't that far of journey from there on either, you MUST go there, too !
A wonderful city ! (The cathedral, the cathedraaal.. WOW !)

On the other hand, there's southern France quite close, and Andorra, too.

So all in all I just wanted to make sure you don't forget the "east coast" once you are on the continent ;)

Best wishes to you from Germany !
Marc
Valion  Germany

Posted by Peter on 29 Apr 2008, 17:25

Congratulations to both of you. I also think that you have to contact Rafa. He's a big Napoleonic fan, and it would surprise me that he shouldn't know where the best places are.

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Adam on 02 May 2008, 09:42

I think I shall have an embolism trying to work out the best kind of places to see and sifting through the Spanish equivalents of our hotel chains over here!

I may start pestering Rafa with Spanish phrases as I think I might have to learn! As an english man quite a lot of our national arrogance has to be waded through first! :lol:
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 02 May 2008, 20:58

Hey Adam, I know one Spanish word: Serveza (uno, dos tres,....) :occasion: . I think this is an important word to start with ;-) .
Have a nice trip!!

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by rpardo on 03 May 2008, 09:51

Hi Adam
Congratulations for your weddng :thumbup: .
If you want to spend some of your time making historical travelling consider Salamanca as your base. Salamanca is an old town with a famous University and many many foreign young people around. You can visit the battlefield of Salamanca (here known as Los Arapiles), Ciudad Rodrigo (the breach on the walls and the ball holes in the churchs are still visible), Almeida with its Vauban style walls.... Near Salamanca is Segovia with its famous Roman aqueduct, Avila with its rounding medieval walls... There is a lot of art around that zone
However, all the things are far from the mediaterranean beachs. You must to choose, sorry :oops:
rpardo  Spain

Posted by Adam on 03 May 2008, 13:25

That sfor all your kind wishes- we have been together for yeeaaars, its just we decided to make it official and celebrate!

It sounds like Salamanca is the choice, yes we will choose- to do both! :o

We are going to spend one week or so based in salamanca, then maybe travel down to the mediteranean coast (maybe by train?) for the final week and hopefully fly out form their somewhere.

More of an exploring holiday hopefully. the problem is trying to work out train routes etc online! Are trains expensive in Spain?
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 03 May 2008, 21:47

God blesses you and your woman.

All the best
Konrad
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Susofrick on 05 May 2008, 07:01

Con'grats from Sweden too! :occasion:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Officers Mess