Officers Mess

Introduction (of sorts)

Posted by RenevandenAssem on 23 Apr 2008, 18:08

Hi all,

As promised now I have some time to make a short but more proper introduction.

At the age of 15 I read an article in Kijk about wargaming. Since the shopowner had his establishment in the city I lived in at the time (The Hague) I immediately visited. The rest is history so to speak, wargaming history but still. I have been painting, wargaming and reading about history ever since.

Some years ago when I decided I did not wanted to spent the rest of my life seperating fighting parties from another (yes I do mean the changed mission of the Dutch Army) I moved to Hengelo (east). There my wargaming drought started to seep in. Only able to visit Delft (west) once every two or three months made a severe dent in my joy of the hobby.

At the moment (as I am between jobs) I am painting a lot to earn some extra income to supplement my wifes wages, and this got me interested again.

Always into 28mm figures I now have the experience of painting 20mm, 15mm and even 6mm figures. I even do a demo this saturday using my cold war 1/300 scale army.

My main interest at the moment (hobbywise) is Field of Glory a new set of Ancient rules which seems to combine elements of old(er) wargamerules and which seem to capture my own feeling about ancient warfare more then any other rules. Since Punic Wars has had my interest from ages ago (did I mention I am 40 years old) my intention is to start two armies in this period. However with the increasing metal prices 1/72/76 scale plastics and the dramatacally increased quality of these figures over the years has made me wonder if this might be a good time to try my hand at them.

So I will probably try to paint something from Hat which seems to be the major contributer to this period in plastics.
RenevandenAssem  Netherlands

Posted by Martin on 24 Apr 2008, 19:45

Hi Rene,

At the age of 13-15 I had the KIJK as well.
That was a semi scientific magazine for young people and very popular in the seventies and eighties in Holland (and Belgium?).
I don't know if it even exists today.
The shop in the Hague was that the Houtloods?
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 24 Apr 2008, 21:00

Hi Rene, Martin. I looked at google and that magazine (still) exist in Belgium to.
Rene how many years did you serve? I have 25 years in the Belgian army now.

Greatings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Martin on 24 Apr 2008, 21:47

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the information about the magazine KIJK.
I didn't know that it still existed!
So this forum is not only for fun, but you can learn something too :thumbup:
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by RenevandenAssem on 25 Apr 2008, 08:18

Hi all,

I'll see if I can perform some proper forum etiquette:

Martin,
The shop was not the Houtloods but de Boutique La Grande Armee, aan de Willem de Zwijgerlaan (vlakbij de houtrust hallen) en hier is zover als ik weet ook de wargamevereniging La Grande Armee opgericht. De vereniging bestaat nog wel en heeft een fantastische speelruimte in het Fort Hoek van Holland (trouwens op zich een bezoek zeker waard).

Peter,
I first started in the army in 1987 when there was still dienstplicht (I think the English word must be "drafted into the army"). Just a humble soldier I liked it so much that I stayed in the army for another 12 years and ended as Sergeant First Class (opvolgend pelotons commandant) with the Airmobile Infantry (Jagers). I had a great time and if not for the idiocy with which the army is handled by the Dutch politicians I would still be in it for sure. (I wont go into details since this is not the time nor place to do so :nono: ) To my regret I have never found the same dedication and fellowship again.

Well there you go.
I hope this is proper forum etiquette ?
RenevandenAssem  Netherlands

Return to Officers Mess