Officers Mess

iron and vitamin c fry up by Mrs B.

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Mar 2020, 22:42

Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 31 Mar 2020, 00:35

Well how great it was to hear the voices of Paul, Mrs. B, and a pup or two.

And, luckily, I had a big supper, so I did not get too hungry watching that meal get cooked up.

You didn't mention what heat level the burner was set to...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Mar 2020, 10:14

Well Bluefalchion,it was just hot enough to cook eggs really without seeing them go up in flames.
i realize Stinging Nettles are not as good as Gunnar's magic mushrooms to eat but some of the old ways of Mrs B's youth are worth a funny fry up and well worth my time taken out from my day in making the movie. i realize there is no photograph included here,but perhaps my describing words of such fun will count as one? All the best my friends and viewers alike. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 31 Mar 2020, 11:07

Sorry to tell, but my closest magic mushrooms are gone. One place (the best and closest) is a HUGE BIG hole in the ground, they're building a house there. And the other is now under a bicycle path. So no more chanterell sandwich for breakfast. There were never more than that. But it was enough new ones every day.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Bluefalchion on 31 Mar 2020, 13:34

Susofrick wrote:Sorry to tell, but my closest magic mushrooms are gone. One place (the best and closest) is a HUGE BIG hole in the ground, they're building a house there. And the other is now under a bicycle path. So no more chanterell sandwich for breakfast. There were never more than that. But it was enough new ones every day.

Oh my Gunnar, so sorry to hear about the passing of your favored mushroom patches. I think some people call that (paving over the natural world) progress.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Mar 2020, 18:46

That is sad news Gunnar,can the loss be replaced somehow, somewhere else??

i have eaten the same meal my Mrs B, made in my movie. It was a bit salty mainly because to much strong cheese was added to it. However it did taste really nice for a patch of free stinging weeds. i'll have lightly grated cheese on mine next time. i would like to say here and now,this is not a wind up, and there is no danger involved in it other than the sting one might have if the collecting warnings are ignored. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by FredG on 01 Apr 2020, 19:46

Try nettle beer too BB

My father made beer from Nettles, Dandelions and Sticky Willy (Cleavers)(Galium aparine)

There were two varieties, Snake Bite and Jungle Juice.

Very tasty stuff too if you got it before the bottle errupted.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 03 Apr 2020, 03:22

That looks very nice Paul and a good boost for the immune system.

I also think it's great to hear those authentic voices from Iceni country. :-D
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Apr 2020, 16:21

Yes making a brew FredG,
that brings forth a very tall tale.

i remember making Hooch in a large copper still in our back garden shed.
We had acquired a large batch of Norfolk Spuds.

As the work continued throughout that spring of 1985, i soon realized it was not safe to smoke
within 20 Meters of that shaking,burping,bubbling,hissssssssing copper thing!

After aging each batch for a couple of days some of it was very carefully bottled up for a rainy day.
As it would make us rich much later.

Each bottle had an extra spoonful of sugar added before the top was sealed by a cork being hammered into place by my Brother Ron, who wore thick leather gloves, a head and face visor and my old body armour from my Army Days.

Needless to say really Ronald, was a very nervous wreck by the time the last bottle of hissing stuff was bottled away as safe as could be.

i was quite safe behind a blast proof sand bag position built up into place, just before the back door of our house. A good 300 yards from that shed. Which was very handy as Mother, would fed me lots of tea and her homemade cake. A wonderful tasteful thing you could die for,but not then upon that day.

As time passed by, all the sitting dusty glass bottles lined up upon wooden shelves within the locked up tight shed were forgotten, but upon a very hot Summers Day four years later, one after another the two hundred bottles exploded, blowing off the roof of the shed. A something that landed a good 5 miles away.

All was not completely lost though,because 3 Barrels of the stuff
helped Britain Launch Hubble into space in 1990.

i cried with real emotion............... because they never paid us for it.

https://youtu.be/JBBlYl17Aq0

in the Link above my Mrs B, Waves a Glove. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 03 Apr 2020, 16:41

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Apr 2020, 10:10

Nettle soup is very good and healthy. Soon it's time to pick them. Now me and the missus are drinking homemade rosehip soup. Rosehips are just about everywhere and nobody picks them so we did. Dried them (bought a fruit and mushroom drier for 20€) and make soup. Good and healthy. As soon as I feel a cold coming we make soup and the cold is stopped at the door. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by FredG on 06 Apr 2020, 15:01

I've never heard of a Rosehip soup before.
Children used to be paid to collect rosehips to be made into Rosehip syrup.

Wild rose hip fruits are particularly rich in vitamin C, containing 426 mg per 100 or 0.4% by weight . However, RP-HPLC assays of fresh rose hips and several commercially available products revealed a wide range of L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C) content, ranging from 0.03 to 1.3%.[4]

Rose hips contain the carotenoids beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and lycopene, which are under basic research for a variety of potential biological roles.[5][6] A meta-analysis of human studies examining the potential for rose hip extracts to reduce arthritis pain concluded there was a small effect requiring further analysis of safety and efficacy in clinical trials.
FredG  United Kingdom

Return to Officers Mess