Officers Mess

Asterix is an orphan

Posted by Bluefalchion on 07 Apr 2021, 20:58

I will check to see if any are for sale in the US of A.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 08 Apr 2021, 14:17

I don't have any Asterix figures (I grew up in Canada, so not so many here) but Uderzo did teach me to draw! I received Asterix and Cleopatra when I was about ten from an older brother returning from England and copied the art religiously. I bought every Asterix book afterwards. I even dedicated my second Otto book to Underzo.

The biggest moment in my life was when I got to meet and hang out with for a few days the English translator of the books, Anthea Bell, at an author's conference I was participating in. I had seen her name on the title page of every Asterix book I owned, and having worked closely with Goscinnny, she told me a number of very funny stories about their relationship. She graciously signed my ink stained dog-eared and spine-broken copy of Asterix and Cleopatra, now my most treasured possession.
I actually blogged about it here years ago, if you are interested.

https://bigcityotto.blogspot.com/2010/08/in-praise-of-asterix.html

So I guess my tribute to Uderzo will be this offering, a bit of an homage to Asterix in a classic buddy blow out. My Otto the elephant really is just Obelix, and the parrot Crackers is Asterix at the end of the day...

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Previous page

Return to Officers Mess