Officers Mess

For the want of Nail a true story

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Jun 2019, 01:38

:coffee: It seemed to be a normal day for me at the very start of it, however a turn of events would ensue that neither myself or indeed Mrs B, had planned for.

It was raining a heavy downpour as the delivery man swung open the latch gate under the arbour and entered into our little front garden of evergreen delight.

He passed everything intended for us through the open kitchen window beside our front door. Lots of stuff of all sizes from AMAZON, soon filled up the worktop near our little TV set that nested snug in its corner as if it were itself,part of the wall.

`Thank you so much', i heard Mrs B,say to the rather wet wearing high fizz jacket delivery man. He pleasantly replied and once more set along upon his round again after closing behind him the little wooden gate.
As i entered upon the scene, ` My new garden clock has arrived Paul', my delighted Mrs B, excitedly said.`I will need a nail for the outside wall, then we can put it up can't we?' She asked,which actually meant i would be doing the knocking in job rather than her trying hard to bonk it in as if trying to iron out smooth the wall. :mrgreen: Yes it is a grand sight to laugh about upon seeing that action taking place. Always i show the action needed to drive home a nail, and then let her have a go with the hammer. We have a good relationship with each other, and we always see the bright funny-side of such an epic feat of the oddest wonderment.

So off Mrs B,goes with her keys in hand, to the garage workshop to fetch a penny nail. Upon her return with the nail in her hand, i noticed that the sky had determined itself to kindly stop showering everywhere with a curtain of the wet stuff. Very soon the nail was in its new home and the new garden clock ticked away its shadowy second hand around its brand new grey face.

A while later, well quite a while really Mrs B, realized that her keys were missing. Off she went outside, but her keys were not out there. Often is the case after unlocking the garage for entry the keys are left upon the outside bin standing against the outside wall of our garden. This time however they were nowhere to be seen. Back inside the house after looking for her keys outside she realised that her keys were used to let herself in via the front door. ` i thought they must be still hanging from the door outside, but they ain't', she told me. So now the search widened out into the house hallway, the kitchen and the lounge. After searching over and over the same space which also included the stairs by now,Mrs B,was becoming worried. The reason was that she was convinced if the keys were left outside in the courtyard someone had taken them and might come back later. i have long been one that never over reacts to certain situations, and this one was easily fixed. `i`ll get a Lock Smith in to change the front door locks. It is as simple as that. So stop worrying. OK?' i said to Mrs B,now welling up with tears.

It was 11 am when the guy came to fix the front door lock. Exchanging the barrel for another took five minutes and then he handed me three sets of keys. Off he went after charging me a modest £98.00. i thought it might have been over £300, so i was quite pleased. Of course a new heavy duty padlock was needed for the garage , and it was bought on the same day too. It cost £17.00 `There you go, Your new keys ', i said as i passed my dear Mrs B,her new set of shiny gleaming metal ones.

And so it was that a frightful situation for my Mrs B, was simply solved upon our unusual day.
A few hours later Mrs B, put her colorful pinafor back on and guess what? In the large front pockets, she found the original lost keys. `Don`t worry so it is only spent money', i said, ` And think of it this way, We know have new locks and keys.

So for the want of a penny nail to fix the new clock upon an outside wall, it then cost us an extra £115.00 for our peace of mind. Well worth every penny.

The new clock looks out across this, one of our little gardens. A garden tended by my dear Mrs B.
:coffee: Well this is the end of my true story. Thank U for reading it. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Jun 2019, 04:23

Two observations:

1) You are good man, BB. I know many a husband who would have grumbled or worse at this turn of events;

2) By scratch building everything over the years instead of paying hobby shop prices, you have saved far more than the £115 spent on this little adventure.

I would say you are still well ahead of the game!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Jun 2019, 07:27

Agree!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 18 Jun 2019, 11:36

Lovely story, true entertainment. Thanks for sharing BB and regards to Mrs B. Tick-tock
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by MABO on 18 Jun 2019, 17:16

You are both lucky in love I think!
MABO  Europe

Posted by KGV on 18 Jun 2019, 19:37

If you bang another nail in, Mrs B can hang her new keys on it,
KGV  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 19 Jun 2019, 10:09

Bluefalchion wrote:Two observations:

1) You are good man, BB. I know many a husband who would have grumbled or worse at this turn of events;

Yes but, my dear chap, you're forgetting the Prime Directive for blokes wot play with toy sowjers...

'On those rare occasions you're dragged kicking and screaming, back into the real world, and requested to function therein... never start moaning and sniveling about it!!!'

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Graeme on 19 Jun 2019, 12:07

Very nice story Paul, and isn't that just the way things go sometimes. :xd:

Just one observation: Mrs B has a good eye for a garden clock, I think that's a stylish thing. :-)
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Konrad on 19 Jun 2019, 19:33

You have an eye for the important things in life.
I hope you and your wife have many more happy years.
How important these little things become as we get older.
You are a wise man.

Greetings from a friend
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Emperor on 19 Jun 2019, 22:30

@BB-I love your garden :mrgreen: I have simmilar clock...
Emperor  

Return to Officers Mess