Officers Mess

my classic comic annuals

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Dec 2018, 00:57

Image The Comics started in 1938

The two massive classic examples above are stuffed to the brimfull with 1940`s style story`s that touched the hearts of youngters throughout their war-torn and post- war years. These are documented comic book tales that helped lift the spirit of a nation. The BEANO and DANDY, were seen as so important that the Government of Great Britain diverted valuable resources to keep them in production each week, and throughout the entire war. Winston got his Brandy and Cigars, and for 2d each kids got to read the most famous comics of that time period in Britian.

Every year my dear Mrs B,buys the up to date comic book annuals for yours truly. This year I aided charity by buying 1p Beano and Dandy Annuals on AMAZON! A book for a Penny. I just paid postage of £2.00 or £3.00`s each book. Of course they are all used but in especially good condition. Some I received were in near mint condition. All 15, I bought will be welcome in my comic book collection.

The cover on this 1988 copy is a bit grimy but the book is an eye opener of social statements in cartoon fashion that Britain would not give in to The Axis Powers of WWII,that had a strangle hold upon the whole of Europe by 1940. These comics are full of pictures many in colour of rolled up sleeves with arms full of fisted fight. A propaganda sheet of pure delight showing the fumbling bumbling of the Great Dictators in comic book style. Corky The Cat, stuffing Hitler down an artillery barrel is one of my favourites.

I bought many from one supplier in bulk of 4 books at a time thus making sure charity got most of my cash spent upon postage.

All the picture were by way of AMAZON BOOKS, so some are a bit fuzzy.

Featured below are the more up to date annuals

Well as Christmas day the 25/12/2018 nears its end at 23.57 I come to a close upon this topic that has been fun compiling it. Fun buying it,and above all daft fun reading some of it. It all is a pleasant reminder of my brother Ron, and I reading The Beano and The Dandy in the mid 1950`s and 1960`s while the hum of the radio played out its drifting toons. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Officers Mess