Officers Mess

Emotive Advertising

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Nov 2018, 21:21

Hi guys,
I have just put a Bee in the bonnet of Ebay by complaining to those I trade with on a regular bases. Ebay has cooked up an advertising 15% scheme that Sellers have gone along with without knowing fully how this will effect their sales. I had 30 items in my basket and went to request combined postage only to be informed by E bay that I, and I quote, " You can`t request a total because the seller has offered a discount for these items." This means that I would end up paying £23.80 on one order and £10.80 UK Sterling on another for the postage. I have informed trust worthy Sellers that they are going to lose orders over this scheme dreamed up by Ebay. Needless to state really I canceled my order and informed these Sellers why.
So one Seller just lost an order of over £200. 00 and another £80.00. This is the only way to get things in place as they were before this emotive bumping up sale scheme was put into place. With Christmas upon the horizon I doubt any Sellers in their right minds would want profits to tumble down as do dilapidated brick houses.
:coffee: I for one do not want E bay operating like this so It has been very interesting to say the least getting this fair deal quest in motion in a friendly proper manner. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 24 Nov 2018, 05:39

That is interesting Paul, I did some calculations to see how this would have affected an order of three sets I bought a short while ago (I usually only have small orders). This 15% "discount" On my $50 order (including postage) would have cost me an extra $8.75; in my old fashioned mind that's not how discounts work. I suspect this particular dealer might have sent me a refund for the excess postage though.

I've just been looking at some things from the US. Postage rates from the US usually mean I don't buy from there but for hard to find things I sometimes think that if they have enough things I want the shared price might not be so bad. But, if this discount of a few dollars means I have to pay $20 or $30 postage on each item I won't be buying any of them. As you said, lost sales.

If you're just buying one set, or multiple boxes of the same set the 15% discount is a good deal. but otherwise, BEWARE!
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Konrad on 24 Nov 2018, 10:21

You're a crusader! ;-)
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Nov 2018, 10:32

Thank you Graeme, :thumbup: For taking time out to look into my little emotive grumbling post.

I did receive a nice e-mail back from one Seller I`d traded with for years. It must have been a GLITCH on the part of E Bay and nothing to do with the shop keepers on Line. I was reassured that on all orders with him ,only £1.99 would be the postage cost.

I am a firm believer that addressing such errors head on in a friendly manner certainly gets results. it was nice to realise that after I`d placed my order the next day that the Ask For Total Button was made fully accessible to me when before it was denied my attention to tap a dancing finger upon it. :(

So all was put to rights and now a rather large amount
of toy parts are on the way to me in the mail. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Dec 2018, 11:49

PART TWO IT STILL CONTINUES

While I was working late into the small wee hours of last night,i trundled my way onto E bay and after sorting out some great Doctor Who figures in a Bulk Order, E bay denied access to the request button for combined postage charges. It is an E Bay Glitch that means e-bay buyers are forking out huge sums of dosh on postage costs on won and bought items. Seeing my postage bill over £28.00 really p`d me off again. Again I have reported this to the Sellers concerned and above all to E Bay its self. The Shopping Basket is a debacle on a grand-style scheme to get more money passing through worldwide banking accounts! (One), Seller gives a discount on your items. That`s Great! No it ain`t because (Two ) you cannot access your request button on your basket of fun time goodies.

The only way around this is do not use the shopping basket where the request button has been dimmed out of activity. Chose the select to,` Pay Now ',option on goods but not pay until you`ve reach your shopping total and then send the Seller`s concerned an e-mail requesting an invoice for combined postage. You will certainly receive one from them.

I was notified that this was a Glitch! caused by E Bay. In my open and frank opinion this so called Glitch is long overdue from being rectified. Some Sellers might refund extra postage costs to ones Banking Account, but I believe in the old adage, `If you don`t ask you won`t get.'

I hope this information helps E Bay buyers from not pulling their hair out in utter fustration. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Jan 2019, 14:54

Access to the Request Button on multibuys should be available now on E Bay. This is used to contact the Seller. Just ask for an invoice to be sent for combined postage. Wait until this has been dealt with then Pay. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Officers Mess