Officers Mess

What a week! Phew!

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Mar 2018, 09:00

Last Sunday (the 11th) our dog had an attack of cramp/spasm at breakfast. It was serious, we thought he died there. But he recovered after a while. Having something like that when you are an old dog (he would be 9 the 17th) is no good! But as I said, he recovered and the missus and I agreed to see a veterinary on Monday. In the evening when we went for the evening walk he had a new attack. Not as serious as the first, but we took the car to the emergency veterinary. After seeing two vets (and he had another attack when they touched the area around the spleen) and X-ray of the abdomen that showed nothing we got medication and advice to come back Monday for ultrasound. Back Monday, seeing the second vet again (she had worked all night). The ultrasound showed exactly the same as the X-ray, nothing. We got more medication. We could see that the vet was tired and had trouble counting how much medication he should have. Two pills morning and two pills in the evening. He didn't get better!!!! He got worse! The hindlegs gave out, we put carpets in the whole apartment so he shouldn't slip, when he missed the carpets he fell like Bambi on ice and couldn't get up without help. The only thing he wanted to do was to sleep. We could put treats right in front of his nose and he didn't bother. We decided that he should have his birthday on Saturday and on Sunday send him to a better place. Saturday came and an old friend we haven't seen for a while came to say goodbye. Our dog was very happy, but tired. Sunday came. Took a farewell walk, took the car to the vets. New vet. Very new! Checked our dog, checked how much medication he'd got and realized! He'd had too much! He had got double dose! The whole week! So we came home again all three of us! :-D A lot of happy phonecalls to everybody that had said farewell. As soon as we cut down on medication his hindlegs started functioning, the first thing he did when he came home was picking up a tennisball and started to play. We have been crying and taking farewell the whole week, but now life seems good again. Okay, the spasms come from something not good good, but hopefully we can meet the (very late here) spring together.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Mar 2018, 12:52

Very glad to hear your canine companion is doing better. You may want to consider switching to a different veterinarians office if that is an option.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Alex on 20 Mar 2018, 15:38

It's hard, Gunnar.
You were given a bonus - extra time.
Spend it with pleasure.
old anecdote:
"- what do you want to hear during your funeral?
I want to hear :
"Hey, guys, I think he's moving!"
It's just that I want to support you ....
Alex  Russia

Posted by Graeme on 20 Mar 2018, 16:29

Happy Birthday to your four legged Lazarus Gunnar, I hope you enjoy many more Birthdays, And springs, together.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by MABO on 21 Mar 2018, 08:29

I am happy for you, my friend. I wish you a lot of funny walks in the sun of spring.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 21 Mar 2018, 08:49

Thanks for the support! We are very happy for the extra time we've got. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 21 Mar 2018, 13:44

My dog is almost 14. So I know what you were talking about. I know how you felt.
And now I'm so happy for all of you. Enjoy every moment that is in front of you and your dog.
:occasion:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by David O'Brien on 21 Mar 2018, 22:44

You are lucky. The people up the road lost an adult Sharpei (quite a big dog) because of vets overdosing the sedative. Obviously in the UK we don't have an NHS for animals and vet bills are expensive and the care varies between practices and professional negligence claims are unlikely to be upheld unless the animal is valuable ie of breeding stock. Animals are generally treated as chattels in the law.
David O'Brien  

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Mar 2018, 08:39

I think we were lucky to get a quite new vet the last time. Everything fresh from school. The missus talked to a neighbour his comment was "What? Are the vets just like the doctors???"
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 22 Mar 2018, 13:58

I'm happy for you and the missus that you get some extra time with your dog! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 17 Aug 2018, 07:16

Yesterday our extra time ran out. He had a great life and the end was very quick and good for him.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Kekso on 17 Aug 2018, 09:25

To lost a friend is terrible, terrible thing. I can only imagine how you feel my friend... be strong :(
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Graeme on 17 Aug 2018, 11:27

That is sad news gunnar. From your posts I think you had many good times together, those memories are not lost.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Wiking on 17 Aug 2018, 17:43

One day I come home from work. My cat was waiting for me. Just to touch her a few times. Than he die.

To lost a family member is so hard.
I feel with you Susofrick.

Graeme wrote:
From your posts I think you had many good times together, those memories are not lost.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Aug 2018, 19:41

I am so sorry Gunnar. I kinda loved Valter from afar. Remember the good times you all shared together. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Aug 2018, 22:27

Sorry to hear that sad news, Gunnar. My wife has a favorite Pomeranian who is now 13 years old. He's a born rascal who hides under the bed to avoid capture and marks on everything in the house. He wakes us up 2-3 times per night because he wants to be let outside for an adventure. But I know we will all miss him terribly when his times comes, some day. Animals are wise, and I believe Valter knew it was his time.

Perhaps you should wait a few weeks, then start taking a look at new puppies.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dykio on 17 Aug 2018, 22:49

Dear Gunnar,

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. From all your post i know that it wasn't just a dog but a great friend to you. And to loose a friend is a terrible thing. My feelings are with you !
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Aug 2018, 02:07

Sad news, Gunnar.
Console yourself with the many happy memories & the good life you gave your 4-legged pal.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by MABO on 18 Aug 2018, 08:14

Dear Gunnar, I feel sorry for you. But having a short end is also a grace.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Dad's Army on 19 Aug 2018, 17:25

Susofrick wrote:Yesterday our extra time ran out. He had a great life and the end was very quick and good for him.

Dear Gunnar, what a sad news this is.
I am still on holiday (Czech Republic) but had to give my best wishes to you and your wife.
Since I am the only one from the forum who have met this great dog, even gave him a Dutch bone...
I had to give you our condoleances (also from Angelique), this is a great loss.
Keep those good memories together, Valter must have a special place up there, I am sure.
What a nice dog he was, goodbye Valter my great friend!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Next page

Return to Officers Mess