Officers Mess

Winnetou - Der Mythos lebt

Posted by Wolfie65 on 07 Jan 2017, 16:41

This was apparently just on TV in Germany, as one of their 'traditional' Christmas mini-series, did any of you watch it and how does it compare to the 1960's Karl May movies - or the books, for that matter ?
Wolfie65  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 07 Jan 2017, 17:29

Wolfie65 wrote:This was apparently just on TV in Germany, as one of their 'traditional' Christmas mini-series, did any of you watch it and how does it compare to the 1960's Karl May movies - or the books, for that matter ?

It has nothing to do with the book - like the old movies as well - but the new story was nothing more than a RTL - big shit production. After watching this I have bought the DVD of "The Treasure of the Silver Lake" (1962), to show my son what a Winnetou-movie should be.

FORGET IT!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Wiking on 07 Jan 2017, 18:36

Without watching it.
I share the opinion of MABO. :-D
It is a RTL production. Need no more information.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 08 Jan 2017, 05:37

Typical german TV-production. Embarrassing. Teutonical deep-sense, far away from Karl May, far away from literature, far away from "reality". Higher Nonsense.
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by Konrad on 08 Jan 2017, 13:39

RTL = BIG SHIT.
I agree.
The level of this transmitter is a insult for every intelligent person.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Zed1 on 08 Jan 2017, 17:41

Taking into consideration that the original Karl May books where at a very high grade fantasy novels, I wonder what a fantasy movie made from a fantasy movie based on a fantasy novel would look like. :mrgreen:

Wait - no.
Zed1  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by bilsonius on 08 Jan 2017, 19:55

Wasn't Karl May one of Hitler's favourite authors?
bilsonius  United Kingdom

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 08 Jan 2017, 20:40

Karl May wrote his books to teach young people the Christian Religion and its virtues of reconciliation and forgivness (read Winnetous Death!). Hitler only likes Winnetou as a hero. During third Reich, as my father told me, The books were hard to get, not yet forbidden, but not liked, and only in special editions "for the youth." Its indeed more a kind of fantasy than historical epic. But the plots are mostly constructed as Literature, especially the later works. In The 70s a TV-show of The Kara Ben Nemsi books was made: Close to the books, very good and far away from the Edelkitsch of The movies. But for contemporary standards you can watch it only with a smile.
For a modern young Reader Karl May is moreorless unreadable. His time is over, because we have a totally different view of the world and a really other way of telling stories. So the movieproject couldnt work. And so it did not. Only an ironical or critical approach will work - for Fans.
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 08 Jan 2017, 21:47

bilsonius wrote:Wasn't Karl May one of Hitler's favourite authors?

Where this is going?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 09 Jan 2017, 20:57

Konrad wrote:RTL = BIG SHIT.
I agree.
The level of this transmitter is a insult for every intelligent person.

Why do they always translate English into German? I never understood that! Is it cheaper then putting text under it? I hated it when John Wayne was speaking German! :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Jan 2017, 09:10

They never done it in that extreme here! Just children's stuff. Well, my granddad use to read the texts aloud. A long time after we learned to read! :-D But more than that, nah. Didn't have Winnetou either. Just as actionfigures. I think. Or was that the lone ranger....
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Emperor on 10 Jan 2017, 12:32

I have read Karl May's book about Winetou and Old Shaterhand how they fought some evil Indian chief who wanted to attack some miner village. Anyway only RTL channel I have been watching back in 2003 when I was 12 yo was Super RTL. I learned German from it and I noticed in Germany every movie is dubbed into German. Also one more thing I noticed that cartoons like Pink Panther, Tom and Jerry that doesn't have a dialogue have a narrator who reads some text similar like in football match.
Emperor  

Posted by Emperor on 10 Jan 2017, 12:33

@Konrad- If you think RTL is shit wait till you see Serbian television and shows they are making today. Man insult to every nerve cell in your brain. Not to mention turbo folk music. That thing is raping of mind.
I think 35 percent of Serbian population doesn't watch television this days and some even don't have TV since they don't want to pay for crap on TV. Now if you take information that other 65 percent are old people you get the idea who watch it today. :(
@Susofrick- My granddad like to talk long and boring stories about history and life. I mean I like history but the way he is talking it is long, painful and boring. Only reason I let him talk is because he gets really angry if somebody doesn't listen to him.
Emperor  

Posted by Wiking on 10 Jan 2017, 15:42

Peter wrote:
I hated it when John Wayne was speaking German! :eh:

I like when John Wane speak in German.
With his gun as the law, one ex drinking guy and an very old man to the bad bad overwhelming bandit group. :-D
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Wolfie65 on 10 Jan 2017, 15:59

Over the course of the past few years, I have re-collected some of the Karl May books I remember from my childhood, mainly for nostalgic reasons.
Finding a company that offers reasonable overseas shipping rates really helped.
So far, I've re-read the 6 books that form the core of the Kara ben Nemsi cycle (= 'Old Shatterhand' in the Ottoman Empire).
I don't think they would be hard to read for today's audiences - much easier than, for example Moby Dick - but they really are just 'pulp'.
The one thing modern readers might find odd are the completely and utterly flawless heroes, they are hard to come by these days - unless, of course, they are of the politically correct variety.
Still better than anything you will find in the 'teen fiction' section of any book store.

Re-watching parts of the 1960s movies can be cringe-inducing, they do look very pompous, kitschy and unrealistic, but then again, most US-made Westerns with people like John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Gene Autry, et.al. aren't very realistic, either......

You want bad TV ?
Try Telemundo, Univision or any of the other Spanish language channels in the US.
Their soap operas, cartoons and 'comedies' make standard Anglo TV look almost intellectual - but they do have lots of hot babes, even on the newscasts.
A friend of mine from Mexico says, "They'll watch anything as long as it's in Spanish."
Wolfie65  United States of America

Posted by Emperor on 10 Jan 2017, 20:21

I like it when girls speaking German :xd: :xd: :xd:
Emperor  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 10 Jan 2017, 20:23

I don't know should I tell my ,,why Einstein has not learned to swimm'' joke in German for German speaking folks... It's a funny pun of his name... It say ,,Warum hat nich Einstein gelernt zu schwimmen?(Why has Einstein not learned to swim) and the answer is ,,Weil er schwimt wie Einstein...(Because he swims like Einstein-Ein-one-stein-rock)...
Emperor  

Posted by Peter on 10 Jan 2017, 20:41

I have a whole collection of comic books of Old Shatterhand and Winnetou! Complete! Now and then I read a few of them! ;-)

@Erik: John Wayne speaking German isn't John Wayne, but someone who thinks he's John Wayne! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Michael Robert on 10 Jan 2017, 23:16

What a topic - what a film.
By chance I was in Germany when the 3rd part was on television. I was just taking a break and with childhood memories of Winnetou films in mind I wanted to Watch the movie. I think most boys of my generation played Cowboys and Indians in the fields impregnated by these films.
Well .. I was able to Watch for about 5 minutes.
The scene : settlers with their families in a barn. Indians are coming. Settlers afraid, very worried. Suddenly Old Shatterhand realizes it's Winnetou with his band (including women and children). So they open the door and start a feast where settler and Indian children are playing, settlers and indians feasting and joking around the table. They even start to sit-dance (German "schunkel" style). OUTRAGEOUS :drool: All that in 4 minutes. Then they shovel a whole in the ground to search for water and oïl starts spilling out in a large fountain. That was just one minute. Then I had to turn off the teli. It was too much, like taking a psychotropic pill, haluzinations.
Maybe the film will have a career as a very bad trip?

Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Wiking on 11 Jan 2017, 05:39

Winnetou the original.
As I was a child we (including the parents) watch Winnetou. In a time you get only 3 program. And only one TV at home. You have to stand up and touch a button on it to change the program!
Winnetou start at Sunday at 20.15 hour. On Monday at school in the first break what was the main theme.
Everyone: "Do you have seen Winnetou"? Silly question. There was nothing else who can compete at 20.15 hour. For us child. Can`t remember one who said my parents want to see a other program.
A hard moment as Winnnetou died.

This all is one of the reasons who make the success of the parody "Der Schuh des Manitu".
And I like this parody. :oops: :-D

@Peter
My John Wayne is speaking German. The Hero of my youth for Western theme.
He do a single shot. And in front of him at the left and at the right on the TV screen a riding Indian falls death from his horse. He is the only one for whom I accept this Hollywood style. :-D
Wiking  Germany

Next page

Return to Officers Mess