Officers Mess

BB`s On the Mend

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Sep 2016, 01:34

Hi Guys,i just wanted to let you know I underwent surgery 17 days ago on my back an old wound that had developed a massive abscess inside it had to be deeply cut into,and the abscess and poison removed before septicemia caused sepsis and my death.
I was fully conscious throughout the operation by choice,and Mrs B,held my hand and talked to me through the ordeal.I have a deep hole the size of a milk bottle top which has been left open but plugged inside with a dressing over the top. Mrs B,is now doing the dressing every other day at home,and I see the nurse once a week now. It is slowly filling itself up aided by the dressing,and it will take several months to fully fill up. So although early days,i am on the mend and with the pressure relieved from my spine I have been able to walk to the local shops several times,and the Toy Shop was always top on the list. After being housebound for over 11 years now I was up to shopping with my Mrs B.
Sometimes there are no choices in ones life, you must therefore grit your teeth and endure it.Of course i still have a degenerating spine but I am able to walk outside again without feeling as though I have seasickness.
My P T S D has subsided greatly too which is great,and that means I can still do tiny amounts of work in the hobby each day.
Mrs B,has kindly taken photo of every days look of the thing from the very start of day one of the operation,up until now. So graphic proff can be shown,so just ask. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Sep 2016, 08:05

I wish a good recovery then and hope everything will be fine in the end.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Konrad on 28 Sep 2016, 08:18

My best wishes and good luck to you and your brave woman.
What would we be without our wives.
Get well soon.
We need you here.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 28 Sep 2016, 09:35

All my best wishes too, BB.
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Cryns on 28 Sep 2016, 11:58

Good to hear about your walks Beano Boy!
I don't know if I have to gratulate you or wish you a good recovery.
Well lets do both.
Here I send you some tulips from Amsterdam.
I hope Miss BB won't mind the attractive young lady coming with it. :P

Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Marvin on 28 Sep 2016, 12:59

Hope you continue to recover well, BB.

And well done Mrs B for being there too. My (then) 6 year old daughter had a similar operation a few years ago to remove an abscess from deep in her neck when she was already in sepsis. She spent days in intensive care but thankfully came through it okay and made a full recovery.
Marvin  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 28 Sep 2016, 13:10

I wish you quick and full recovery my friend. Lots of health an new projects.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Graeme on 28 Sep 2016, 13:13

BB.

I'm very happy to hear that you're getting out a bit now, that's really great. Hope things continue to improve.

On a more selfish note I'm also happy to hear that you're doing a bit of hobby work each day, because I do enjoy seeing your wonderful modelling posts here.

All the best to you both.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by stenfalk on 28 Sep 2016, 13:26

I wish you much strength and the necessary energy for the process of convalescence. I will think of you every time I'm in "Bennos", hence about 7-8 times a day. I hope that's not going to be too much... :eh: ;-)
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by vellek on 28 Sep 2016, 15:51

Konrad wrote:My best wishes and good luck to you and your brave woman.
What would we be without our wives.
Get well soon.
We need you here.

I can't say it much better than Konrad has. Glad to hear you're up and around.

Cheers,
Kurt
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Sep 2016, 16:47

Thank you Guys,for all your warm wishes of support at this time.
Mrs B,and i are very Greatful.

( This word Greatful is associated with peoples actions,and therefore Gratful does not apply!)

i must admit that I had no clear intention of posting this item, but then thought if others were faced with similar choices it might be of help. A sort of good thing coming out of a bad situation that anyone can fall fowl of.

When asked about how best to gain writing skills,i always advised English Students to write about something that they personally knew about, and the flow of language would eventually flow.
In this endeavour this is what i am about to do, and there is no heroics set down here.

So Upon a Bright Sunny Monday Morning My Medical Adventure Began

My GP,arranged for me to bypass the A & E Department at the local hospital, and so we Mrs B,and I were directed to, two Doctors who had agreed to see me upon very short notice.
For that helpful action i am forever in their debt.

After close up examination surgery was deemed necessary,but spending days and days in our new hospital with that Flesh Eating Supper Bug present and just dead keen for its next feed, i had no intention of doing while awaiting the Deep Sleep,and a Surgeon to perform the operation.

So i opted for a double ring of Local Anesthetic injections on my back,after a Slug of Morphine that i had swallowed after squirting it into my mouth by way of a plastic syringe.
It was YUCK!

It was agreed that the Trainee Doctor a young fellow would perform the operation supervised by the Lady a beautiful Nigerian Doctor who was fully qualified. Both were very kind,and welcomed the opertunity to gain more experience that can and will be of help to other people in a likewise fix.

From the Slug of Morphine up until the dressings went on it took well over one and a half hours to do the cutting out,and draining which felt like a metal brush scrapping ones insides out.
True it seemed longer and hurt like hell,but i never made a flinch!

It was agony before so it was no big deal having one pain replacing a far worse one. Mrs B,held my hand and that was all i really needed by way of support at that time. The two Doctors were marvellous,and in their joint effort did a wonderful job.

After patching me up,we thanked them kindly and i placed a smiling face on the report sheet that they gave me to fill in.
Mrs B,and i within half an hour of the finish were upon the bus and on our way home.
That well experienced adventure was over. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ray.Caruana on 28 Sep 2016, 19:00

I wish you a speedy recovery Beano Boy.
Ray.Caruana  Malta

Posted by Zed1 on 28 Sep 2016, 19:38

My oh my. What a story. All my best wishes to you and my highest regards for Mrs.B.
Hope you're up and running soon - well... in the meaning of 'motor'... ahem...
I have an uncle who's suffering from Bechterev's disease, so I can, at least, imagine a bit what 'degenerative' means.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Peter on 28 Sep 2016, 19:45

I wish you also a very good recovery! And give S. a kiss from me! Such a brave lady! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Dec 2016, 23:15

Hi Guys, great news my large wound I had on my back has healed up completely. It is truly amazing how the human body can grow new tissue and heal up and over large cut out areas. As for myself I claim no credit for such a wonder that took three months to heal up complete leaving me with a rather fetching scare, a much better looking one then I had there in that exact spot before.
Since the Op I have been able to walk with my Mrs B,and Bella one of our dogs. It is a joy and I felt like I had been fresh released from Prison. My longest walk so far was the other day when we all walked at my pace a cool 3 and a half miles in the surrounding country side of Fiddle Wood.It is tiring but well worth it as my legs are building up muscle again.True I can`t run but I sort of joggle along in my own sweet fashion.

Here is what I had missed throughout all those years of confinement.
I hope you enjoy the trip of an old codger like me?

I`m using my camera on other stuff now.

This is only a few steps away from our front door.

Near Catton Hall,
Several ancient mighty Oaks have died ,and having had their fill of standing up have dried out grey and have then split apart in high winds ,then unseen, unheard have fallen to the ground.

ACROSS THE ROAD,THE TILLS

The picture below I shot from a video I`d made upon that day,so it is not a bright picture but it is one that I need here. You will soon realise why.

We passed the Cottage of Ann Sewell, (Above),who spent the last 11 years of her life here overlooking the sweet meadow land across the Pony track.
The meadow is called the Tills,and I promised myself that I would see it again with its horses, although there are not that many these days.

I believe only a kindred spirit can write of it because Ann Sewell, was housebound herself in older age and gazed upon the many horses in the wild meadow beyond that dusty track leading to Norwich two miles away, and St Faiths 4 miles distant in the other direction. The year was 1875 and far out of her reach those wonderful creatures played away their carefree days ,but so inspired her,that she wrote her last book,and it is now famous the world over, because it is simply named "BLACK BEAUTY "

We headed up the rugged sloping pathway leading up to the high ground of the Tills where the wild Rabbits still live in a large hollow in a sandy bank. Although their holes were visible they were not,but then no were the Foxes that live nearby. There was a huge brier patch, (seen in the picture above on the left),which as the sun played upon it, it was full to the brim with singing chirping Hedge Sparrows ,now they were really loud.

We saw the Horses,up near the iron works of The Great War Memorial,and they were certainly a wonderment for Bella or dog.

I did not like the barbwire on the fence,but the horses were quite friendly ,and hard learnt that it was there.

free image uploading

That`s my shadow!
We said good bye to them,and headed back for home.

The prickly Brier Patch was still very noisy with birds as we passed it by.

The evening was closing in as we walked back across the country side local people here abouts call "The Nature",but there was enough time for Bella to have a good fast run around with other friendly dogs which was really great fun to see.

With the light fading fast we headed in the direction of Fiddle Wood that lay snugly just beyond those tree`s.

Eventually we arrived home just in time for Tea. You might call it Dinner,but it is all the same. Thanks for reading. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bramble15 on 07 Dec 2016, 00:59

Well sir this is a great story and bit of a early Christmas present to us all. :merrychristmas: An even bigger one to you!!!! of course. So glad they were able to correct this before a septic situation took hold. Had a friend pass away a few years back from that at the age of 41. It is nasty business.

So now that the recovery phase can be labeled a true success, what can we expect from a hobby and story telling boss!!! Fantastic news!!! :thumbup:

Rich
Bramble15  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Dec 2016, 09:26

Agree totally with Rich!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Cryns on 07 Dec 2016, 10:12

So good to read and see how you feel released from prison.
And you English are a lucky people living in a country with so many fantastic old oaks all around.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Peter on 07 Dec 2016, 21:09

Good news and beautifull pictures! Thanks for sharing P. and S.! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Dad's Army on 07 Dec 2016, 21:17

Hey Paul, I missed this post, but glad to see you are the old BB again!!!!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Next page

Return to Officers Mess