Officers Mess

Great Yarmouth Rock

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Apr 2016, 04:21

Yarmouth is famous for its Sugar Sweet Stick of Rock .( Like Blackpool Rock.) Break,or cut a piece off and you`ll notice that The towns name Yarmouth, runs off side of the center inside the entire length of rock. I posted this here to explain briefly that which i recently referred to in the way of a joke while writing of a real piece of rock on which the Fortress City of Tyre once stood. " Break a piece off and you might see Yarmouth." So all you guys now know what i was in a metaphorically sense writing about. The punch line of this joke was," Life is way to short to be always critical." The world would be in much more of a sorry state without humor and laughter. So hopefully this has now done and dusted, and swept aside any confusion.

So while i`m here,heres some more pictures of Great Yarmouth.

i saw this and just had to include it. A Medieval Building with a fine example of the chimney.

Off shore the recently erected Wind Farm stands exercising its arms in its daily routine of providing full power. The entrance to the old harbour is off to the left and this picture was taken before the new harbour costing millions was built.

The new harbour built because of production of the Giant Wind Farm Sails made in the area,and docking made available for much larger Container Shipping. Only to be built and then those contracts were canceled and production and shipping moved up north.

Another Shot. Empty and Silent there`s no work here for the lads.

HMS YARMOUTH,is way down there

The train from Norwich nears Great Yarmouth

A seaside town full to brim with Fish & Chip and Candy Floss and Ice Cream.

The Model Village

Some Old Stuff
Great Yarmouth Market in the 1890`s.

Herring Fishing

There used to be a thousand Fishing Boats.

That`s it Folks
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 07 Apr 2016, 06:30

"A seaside town full to brim with Fish & Chip and Candy Floss and Ice Cream."

Thanks Paul for this lovely report and pictures. Do you still wrap fish&chips in newspaper? ;-)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Apr 2016, 16:49

One could simply answer no Dalibor,but for a nice comment and question,____ not i.

Newspaper is banned under law for wrapping up Fish & Chips. In the old days of my tender youth unsold bundles of clean Newspaper`s were used nation wide for part of the wrapping.
It was the Post war period in England.

Today some Fish & Chip Shops have special Newspaper stuff printed and delivered that is approved safe under law. It`s phony stuff,but free of the highly toxic ink used in the Newspaper Production Line.

Very glad you liked this topic. It is good of Benno, to allow such a section here for other topics. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 07 Apr 2016, 19:58

Did you see the difference between the trains in the pictures 12 and 19? ;-)

Great touristic tour Paul! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Apr 2016, 21:25

Ah! Yes.The Green & Yellow Caterpillar whizzing along Peter. :-D
In the last picture Old George,the Engineer of the Narrow Gauge Steam Railway around mid 1950`s.

i like the pictures of the Old Fisher Boats the best. :thumbup: At Yarmouth in the hay day of Herring Fishing there were well over a thousand tiny tug size fishing boats. A hard life for those splendid tough people i so admire.
Some time in the 1930`s my cheerfully kind Aunt Kitty,( Mom`s Sister! ) ,married a rugged looking Fisherman just up the coast at Lowestoft,i spent a Golden Summer there with my Brother Ron in 1957.It was Magic seeing my Uncle come home with a sack over his back,and tip a huge great pile of fish out on Aunt Kitty`s Kitchen floor.Sad really i cannot remember his name. i was 8 years old at that time and Ron the dear lad that he was,was 12.
So many memories flood back at times. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 08 Jul 2016, 11:40

Dear Beano Boy,

I read this 'article' of yours only a few months after you wrote it.
I only knew Great Yarmouth as a dot on Britains map and knew nothing about the town nor its people.

And suddenly, last sunday night, Great Yarmouth was in the news on Dutch national TV.
Not because you live there.
Not because of the lovely gardens you created.
Not because of the famous 'rock'.

Our reporters and journalists went to Yarmouth because they say it is the biggest Brexit stronghold of all United Kingdom! The highest percentage of people voting for leaving the European Union is due to your fellow citizens. In other words, from all United Europe, Yarmouth is said to be the place that wants to break with the rest of Europe the most. At least, that is what our reporters had to say about it. They interviewed some shop and restaurant owners and a man selling hamburgers. You may know him.

Please do not feel provoked to tell us if you voted yourself and if you voted for Brexit or against it. I just like to hear from you if you think our Dutch reporters are telling the truth and if so: why you think your town is inhabited by Brexit voters.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Officers Mess