Officers Mess

Telephone Scam

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Feb 2014, 14:32

Hi to everyone that is reading this. A Telephone Scam is hitting Great Britain. So beware . Someone phones you up saying that they work for Microsoft ,and says Your Computer has Errors,or a Virus.Put the phone down on these Scamers. What they want is you to give them access to your computer they will download something which they then can charge you to remove. In fact they lock up your computer so you can not get back on line. So wherever you are out there in the world beware don`t fall for this Scam.These guys do not work for Microsoft. Why the Warning,I just had a phonecall 5 minutes ago. Take care guys. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Fbminis on 26 Feb 2014, 17:40

That can be done without asking permition over the phone, tho.
Fbminis  Portugal

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Feb 2014, 00:59

It is true,it can be done on line,if you press the download! Scamers also use a fake Police message to lock tight your computer.They acuse you of elegal downloading,Music,Movies,or Worse,and place a heavy fine ,this perhaps is a very successful Scam. However this is a Telephone Scam,directing people to their web site and then getting them to download the Viruses onto their computer. Thats why this Warning! Microsoft is also reporting about this Scame! I have read of an incident today. A lady being so upset by what she had done,and what these Crooks had done to her computer complained bitterly to the guy who phoned her up again. He said Shut Up! And Pay the Money! Be Careful out there. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KGV on 27 Feb 2014, 08:38

A couple of years ago I had a call from a chap called Roger. Said he was from Microsoft and had the thickest Indian accent you have heard. My computer had caught a cold.
I told him to hang on a second, went and got a whistle and gave it a blast in his ear.

They have never called back.
Roger. Really?

KGV
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Feb 2014, 15:05

Thank you KGV for your comment ,upon this issue. Sometimes I get the impression others think me stupid when I warn them about successful Scam`s like this.By this I don`t mean Forum Members.I`m talking of other people that I know where us FiddleWood Gnomes live. You take care.............BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Feb 2014, 22:33

Thank you selena ,I`m glad now that I placed this warning on the Forum. It proves that these Scam`s are a real threat the world over. I noticed too that a number was left.The thing is I have a block on my phone if callers withhold thier number,but these guys are using fake numbers and sadly for some who fall for it this is very bad news. So all you guys who have followed on reading this Topic ,you stay safe out there. Help keep the community safe................BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mário on 17 Mar 2014, 21:15

When these annoying guys phone you just say "Wait a bit" put the phone down and go away. They will be paying for the phone call and you will never be back in line. Just take care not to talk next to the phone. If after say half an hour they are still in line just hang out. That will s*** them!
Have a good night

Mário
Mário  Portugal

Posted by Cameronian on 17 Mar 2014, 21:42

Last time somebody called me about Microsoft I told them I had an Apple, so they couldn't really help me.
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Mar 2014, 18:57

I answered and said,"It`s 10 foot by 8 foot.............What is?...........A Prison Cell...........The Silence was Golden! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Mar 2014, 12:06

I am usually quite polite when I answer the phone, but not to these people. I just say a VERY grumpy no, and hang up.
Susofrick  Sweden

Return to Officers Mess