Officers Mess

Blitzkrieg..an explanation

Posted by Paul on 13 May 2012, 11:58

A lot has be written about what a Blitzkrieg actually is. We all know the word but what does it actually mean? I will, through a Powerless point presentation, attempt to explain the term.

The main component of a succesfull Blitzkrieg is speed. This can be taken to extremes though...and the term "airborne artillery" needs carefull consideration!!

The ground forces need to be chosen with care...discilpine must be of the highest standards...especially the assault troops

Only the best handpicked troops need be considered

The infantry need a high level of mechanisation to maintian speed

Airsupport will play an important part of the operations

as will ground defence against any possible enemy airial activity

Some of the locals may be ameniable to working alongside the invading forces..acting in scouting roles

or even taking over frontal assualt roles.

Be assured...the local population is mainly civilian, and therefore not directly hostile.
Some will need convincing of the necessity of the military action;

Others will appear strange in thier habits and customs..some may claim to be captains of ships, even though they are many many miles inland;

They may have strange hairdressing habits, appearing "unkept".

Some may go to extremes and seek to distract the troops , slowing down the mission.

But if they are treated with respect and tolerance...harmony may be achieved

Paul  China

Posted by Dad's Army on 13 May 2012, 17:27

Ahhh now I get it :mrgreen:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PitYak Studios on 13 May 2012, 19:21

what the??? what is going on with that bear???
PitYak Studios  New Zealand

Posted by Peter on 13 May 2012, 20:06

I see Jack Sparrow was still active at that time :mrgreen:

I really understand the meaning of "Blitzkrieg" now, thank you for the lesson Paul :headbang: :lol: :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 17 May 2012, 09:57

PitYak Studios wrote:what the??? what is going on with that bear???

Bears seem very popular with the German army at the time. The bear in these pics seems to be the same one. There are loads more..the ones with the german forces mainly with dead or stuffed bears they have found in hotels etc. The US forces just seem to be posing with bears they have shot themselves..the russian ones with live dancing bears.
If I was a bear..I´d pick the ist two options. To make a good dancing bear..first remove it´s claws and teeth... No teeth, they have to be fed soft food which gives them ulcers and malnutrition. Then get it to stand. How? Through hitting it..this makes it angry and stand up. Problem with that..bears can´t stand on thier back legs for long..if they do the blood vessels get damaged in thier hips..resulting in septic lesions, spinal damage and eventually they become lame. The music that always accompanies dancing bears..the drumming. This annoys them and makes them groan and shake thier heads from side to side. appearing like they are swaying to the music :cry:
TWEET!

River crossing made easy
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 17 May 2012, 11:53

That last picture, can be reproduced in 1/72 scale. I have that little set from FBminis ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Officers Mess