Officers Mess

Remember when the hobby used to be fun?

Posted by west1871 on 09 Mar 2012, 21:16

Hello all,

Due to recent events on the forum I have rather fallen out with the hobby, but I thought I would try and remind people that it did used to be fun and you do not have to take it too seriouly if you don't want to (as painting skills show :-D )
Remember when you were a young lad getting your pocket money and it was burning a hole in your pocket!
It was never that much in my day either ;-) After rushing down to the local model shop......
That feeliing between a painter and his subject......
Ahhhhh........

SORTED :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember............its FUN :-D
west1871  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 09 Mar 2012, 21:25

Greeks against French knights? What a historical mistake! :mrgreen: :lol: :joker:

Received your message loud and clear Rich, but it's also my way of thinking :thumbup:

GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Winttrix on 09 Mar 2012, 21:38

Very funny :-D
Winttrix  United States of America

Posted by Gowan on 09 Mar 2012, 22:23

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Now I am scared :laughing: :laughing:

Great post. I agree some of us take this wayyyyy! to seriously. :thumbup: we all need to calm down.

and see a doctor about madness :lol:
Gowan  

Posted by musketier on 09 Mar 2012, 22:26

nice Rich, I been pondering where and when it took a 180 here? but seeing these pics reminds me of last summer when I got those Zvezda big sets :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: So exciting it was.
musketier  United States of America

Posted by Bramble15 on 09 Mar 2012, 22:43

Whoa! Stop right there... Is that the staircase that Harry Potter used to sleep under. :roll:

Couldn't agree more about the hobby stuff. Just for kicks I pulled the definition from the web.

Hobby - "an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation."

No matter what circumstances are weighing on me at any given time I always try to remember the above!!! ;-)
Bramble15  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by vellek on 09 Mar 2012, 22:50

So let me get this straight Rich, you take your kid's allowance and buy soldiers?? Why the heck haven't I thought of that??
Thanks for the reminder about what this is all about.
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by von Auerbergh on 09 Mar 2012, 23:24

It´s all about little lumps of plastic pretending to be soldiers - I´ll never forget :-)
von Auerbergh  Germany

Posted by Gowan on 09 Mar 2012, 23:45

von Auerbergh wrote:It´s all about little lumps of plastic pretending to be soldiers - I´ll never forget :-)

:mrgreen: You've got it but may I add

It´s all about little lumps of plastic and metal pretending to be soldiers - may we never forget :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gowan  

Posted by bilsonius on 10 Mar 2012, 03:36

I remember when I used to rush into town with my pocket money to pick up the latest Airfix release for two bob, and still have enough left for a bag of chips before I went back to work at t'Mill...
bilsonius  United Kingdom

Posted by von Auerbergh on 10 Mar 2012, 08:19

Gowan, of course you´re right :-)
von Auerbergh  Germany

Posted by luchs on 10 Mar 2012, 08:23

you are right west.. :thumbup:
is because must be fun that i after years of hig level wargaming come back to make airfix vintage strictly OOB..
when i get the hand on a old airfix box i slaike i was a chid..
when i was a child every saturday my dad check my school work and if i get almost a "10" ( like a "A" ) he get me some money..
money the i spend in the local modelshop..
luchs  

Posted by Paul on 10 Mar 2012, 09:14

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant mate :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Paul  China

Posted by SamSagace on 10 Mar 2012, 10:14

thanks Rich! :thumbup:
a good lesson!
and a poignant reminder of my childhood! :(
SamSagace  France

Posted by Gowan on 11 Mar 2012, 08:35

SamSagace wrote:thanks Rich! :thumbup:
a good lesson!
and a poignant reminder of my childhood! :(

I cannot believe that this is my finnal year of childhood. It seems to have passed by so quickly :( I also seem to have spent so much of it obsessed with computer games and not with figs :( :(

I can only hope that adulthood will bring more time for figs but I doubt that highly :roll:
Gowan  

Posted by franznap on 11 Mar 2012, 10:10

Hi Rich,
i don't know if i understood well your saying, but i hope you did not stop to post your great stuff here, because for me your work is always very inspiring often full of happiness and irony , very intelligent in my opinion.
Let me then say my view about your post:
I too as you and many others started this "Hobby" in the childhood, and i feel as you the same thrill about this stuff, and like you i keep this piece of childhood in me and every day it saves my life.....
We all share this, but we are all different, and thank God for it, because it is always a treasure to meet people like you or other of this Benno's family, and learn and be surprised by something which we would not have done.
This is the reason why i personally feel the word "Hobby" to short for me : hobby looks to me like something less important than the "real Business", like we are somehow joking about it when the real stuff is outside, in money business and sometimes to real trivial life. When we where children this was the "real stuff", why not now?
Next week probably i will have my first test cast of my masters, it will come to my studio (I have an architecture one) and i will celebrate with my partners and my colleague the event, because a dream of my childhood will come true.
For me, now, this "Hobby" is something more, it is part of my life and it has the same importance that my business work.
I have forum friends, some just beginners, or pure lovers and with no ambition on something more than play and have fun, and some which are very fanatic and always almost maniac on historical accuracy and other, and sometimes it becomes a bit heavy to listen to them, but this is their way and i love them all, the important is that they will not impose to me the "right way", because o would not accept it.
So Hobby, or more than it for me it is just right like it is, for a while let us be better people, at least in this world called Benno's, so i take your comment in this way, let's keep ourself better people, remember our childhood, and take it easy (with the others).
Looking forward to your new stuff posted.`
ciao
F.
franznap  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Guynemer on 11 Mar 2012, 10:16

I don't agree that figures are just lumps of plastic, at least not mine in my eyes. They are what you make of them, and if you pour in the care and attention, it is a lump of plastic transformed into a representation of life. Figures aren't defined by their scientific properties, otherwise if pictures are just paper, do you mind me burning your cherished photograph albums or an artist's canvas? Shall I melt my figures? Are you telling me that I've spent the past decade of my youth slapping paint onto plastic? Or have Erik and Alex just played with bits of putty? Have some respect for your work and for that of others.

Maybe for some it's the rebuilding of venerable Airfix kits from your childhood that gives you pleasure. Forgive me, but in a few years time I want to look back and see that I've actually progressed in my hobby. It's pretty annoying when I have other people (not mentioning any names, you know who you are) trashing me simply because I'm a teenager. At least I accept criticism, and that is why I've gone from just painting the skin on Airfix toys to a more decent standard. Of course, for some of us it's about relaxation and I understand that fully. But why do you have to delete posts by those of us for whom it is about a labour of love, from which the fun comes at the end? Why did you delete Zed1's statement? From now on I only use the chat and pm here, otherwise I quit. I will miss Benno's forum greatly, but sadly it no longer exists. This place is a totalitarian state now :silent:
I feel like Hindenburg in 1933 :crybaby:

This post is a tribute to JudgeFredd, who left this place for exactly the same reason. Enjoy your forum guys, I'm off to join the von Trapp family in the mountains. Farewell! :wave:
Guynemer  

Posted by franznap on 11 Mar 2012, 10:43

Dear Guynemer,
great you are so young, and great that you have this attitude towards the miniatures, this is the reason why we must accept each other, i'm 50's and i love to have the chance due to Benno's to be in contact with young guys which want to grow in this art. Please do what you want but accept an advise : think that quitting with this forum, you will quit also a chance to connect with people like us which can support you and give you our knowledge to improve.
franznap  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 11 Mar 2012, 17:45

Oh common, guys, not again :(

Rich just wanted to make a statement in a funny way, and now you're turning it back again?

@Guinemer: don't you recognize humor when you see it?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Benno on 11 Mar 2012, 21:14

Brilliant post Rich! I cried tears of laughter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guynemer wrote:This post is a tribute to JudgeFredd, who left this place for exactly the same reason. Enjoy your forum guys, I'm off to join the von Trapp family in the mountains. Farewell! :wave:
OK have fun. :wave:
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Next page

Return to Officers Mess