Officers Mess

Rembering the christchurch earthquake and the Japan quake

Posted by Gowan on 21 Feb 2012, 07:22

Tomorrow Wesneday the 22nd of febuary we remember the christchurch quake :cry:

The magnitude 6.3 (ML) earthquake that struck the Canterbury region in New Zealand's South Island at 12:51 pm on Tuesday, 22 February 2011 local time.

We have a saying "where were you when the quake struck?"... I was at school. around mid day I remember that romours started circulating about a earthquake in christchurch. At first I did not believe them then later on I came to realize it was the truth. When I got home there it was on the news and for the next few days, all that was on TV had something to do with the quake. The death toll, the damage, the loss, the hope. :cry: A sad moment for this country.

Then all too soon came the japan Quake I remember that I was still an active member of the Orbiter Forum then. There was a thread devoted to the events as they happened. Posts by members, inculding myself. Updating the progress of the tsunami as it raced across the pasific. everyone saying when it would reach them. or when it passed :(

Then came the nuclear disarster. Once again on the forum we would post the latest bits of news we could. discussing the possible effects saying how much we felt sorry for our japanese counterparts. it was a time of fear I must say we were all afraid and constantly talked about the worste possible consiquence.

these two quakes happened last year. so now on the eve of the first of these earthquakes. I ask members of this forum to pay there respects or to answer "where were you when the quake(s) struck?" we are a multi national/cultural group here and so we all have a different perspective a different story to tell.
Gowan  

Posted by Winttrix on 21 Feb 2012, 19:55

I remember everyone in Hawaii thinking it would hit them. They all scrambled for higher ground, and then, nothing happened.

I also remember all the Japanese students in my class getting upset about their relatives.
Winttrix  United States of America

Posted by Gowan on 22 Feb 2012, 03:15

Winttrix wrote:I remember everyone in Hawaii thinking it would hit them. They all scrambled for higher ground, and then, nothing happened.

I remember A guy on the Orbiter forum from Hawaii saying how the wave was going to hit him any moment :( . I replied about how soon I was going to get hit to :affraid: ... However we had the opposite problem in NZ as with the reaction of people :angry2: . So many seemed to scramble on down to the coast line to see what would happen or just did not care :nono: . There almost was some fatalities in a harbour where the wave built up :shock:

Winttrix wrote:I also remember all the Japanese students in my class getting upset about their relatives.

We had some exchange students in our collage we all felt sorry :( for them I do not know if any of there relatives where harmed though but they seemed to be ok so I do not think so. :roll:

Please more people comment even if it was about your first impressions when you saw the news. :thumbup:

Today on the radio and I assume also there will be on the news came the stories from the time. Police radios, a radio recording that was tacking place. All during or just after the quake :roll:
Gowan  

Posted by PitYak Studios on 23 Feb 2012, 05:16

(i'm not a kiwi by the way)

but I work with two christchurchians, and i was outside the shop having a smoke when a woman walked past saying something about another quake on her phone. I went back inside and said to the two guys they had better check the news, i thought there may have been another one. and there had been
PitYak Studios  New Zealand

Posted by Gowan on 23 Feb 2012, 05:29

PitYak Studios wrote:(i'm not a kiwi by the way)

Neither Am I! :shock: Sometimes i wonder how many people in NZ are from NZ :roll: where are you from? I am from England

ah well atleast you didn't have to go through all the speculation I did. ;-)
Gowan  

Posted by PitYak Studios on 23 Feb 2012, 06:03

I'm from the old country too, as my avatar might suggest :-D . and as i delight in telling kiwis, everyone here is really an immigrant

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by ModernKiwi on 23 Feb 2012, 06:33

Not me baby. Tangata Whenua... well 7th generation NZ anyway. Te Pakeha! 8)

Anyway, RIP to all those who lost their lives in both events.
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by PitYak Studios on 23 Feb 2012, 07:08

some sad stuff on the telly last night, that's for sure

(7 generations? you'd still be newcomers where I'm from. we've been there for about 700 generations. even the angles we class as foreigners :) )

Posted by Duke atreides on 23 Feb 2012, 10:22

PitYak Studios wrote:
(7 generations? you'd still be newcomers where I'm from. we've been there for about 700 generations. even the angles we class as foreigners :) )

700?! Please!!

Well, I'm Portuguese and never went to the "other side" of the globe, but we saw the news. We were sorry for what happen in NZ and Japan (and the nuclear disaster made me even more afraid of nuclear plants). It's so sad the way Nature punishes us for being here!

Wiki moment - do you know that New Zealand is Portugal's main competitor on cork production? The one thing we do well... :angry1:
:mrgreen:
Duke atreides  Portugal

Posted by PitYak Studios on 23 Feb 2012, 18:33

really???

Posted by Duke atreides on 23 Feb 2012, 19:48

Well, I must apologise!! :oops:
What I mentioned before was told to me by a teacher when I was still a young boy! Never trust teachers!! I know, I'm one! :P
I searched the web trying to back this claim but, to my shame, nothing suggests that New Zealand produces cork. However, it made sense they would, as the climate is similar to the one we have...

:oops: :oops:
Duke atreides  Portugal

Posted by PitYak Studios on 23 Feb 2012, 20:11

oh i think you may have better climate than us!

Posted by Gowan on 24 Feb 2012, 06:24

PitYak Studios wrote:oh i think you may have better climate than us!

I would second that, but I think... You have a climate that actualy makes sence, as well as being nice. is more apropriate.

Slightly nice to see this thread get off topic. such horrible events are best remembered but then not overly discussed.
Gowan  

Return to Officers Mess