Officers Mess

Posted by Gowan on 16 Feb 2012, 03:52

Winttrix wrote:Ok, I get your point. You've obviously done a lot more research on this than I have. You win.

However, you have to take a hike in Hawaii to be as concerned about human expansion into nature as I am. I'm not like a greenpeace hippy or anything (I'm planning to be an Army officer) but I am an outdoors person. I don't want the only camouflage I'll ever have to wear to be for urban enviroments :joker:

Yes the human expansion is a problem :roll: but what can we do? say to people that they must die so the world can be a better place? :angry2: no of coarse not. Can we say only have one child? No you'll be considered a dictator and like china be mistrusted by the rest of the world. It is a loose loose situation :crybaby: . As I am hoping to be an arcutect or if that is not possible a millitary engeneer. I must admite that the growth in population would provide me with work :roll: But as I have spent so many years on the Orbiter forum with space nuts :lol: I can say that setting up cities on marz and turning earth into our bread basket is the only way we ill solve the problems of overcrouding and global warming.... In essance by removing the problem us :oops:

Na actualy by the looks of it the USA is going to have a nuclear war with Iran, next North Korea seeing weakness will join in and hey presto WWIII actualy the most likely cause of WWIII is the destruction of the dome of the rock. the mosque in jeruselum. on the site of the temple of solomun. which is sacred to jews and christians. the site is also sacred to muslems. So as you can see alot of potencial there for a war to start :cheers:

that is not good. But if you hate global warming and the rising population I just brought you some good news. :lol:

sorry to all of you are not amused. I am not infact I am actualy quite serious :x
Gowan  

Posted by laurence strong on 16 Feb 2012, 18:06

Hello Emmett.

Nobody "won" or "lost". This was a disscusion where 2 people aired their views. In so far as my having done more reaserch, well in my time in the Army as a Sr NCO it was expected of us to make sure we had reserched our position before entering a disscusion - have all your ducks in a row, so to speak. This will be something that will be expected of you when you become an Officer in your countries Army. I wish you all the best in that endevour by the way. There is nothing more noble - in My eyes - that serving your country.

I have never claimed that there are not problems in the world as far as the enviorment goes....I just don't agree with the Chicken Little approach that is being foisted on us by some sides in the debate - in that the sky is falling, and it is all mankinds fault - epecially from people who don't practice what they preach, but want the ordinary citizens to do what they say....Google Al Gore's carbon footprint. His power bill is reported to be in excess of $1000 a month.

And Gowan is absolutly correct in his last post that the amount of humans on the planet is an issue. Think of it as 6 billion - or what ever the correct amount is now - little furnaces running around. That has to create some effect on the eco system. having said that I find it very arrogant of people to think we -as in mankind - can force or tinker with Mother Nature to do our bidding.
Mother Nature has and allways will do what she want`s.
So what do we do...stories like Solyent Green or Logans Run do come to mind. Not that I wish to see that happen. So who wants to step up to the front of the line, and enter the furnace or food processor first...not this ol boy, I want to grow older and see my grandchildern grow up.

As to Gowans theory on the future well I don`t think that will happen`, as I think Amadinnajacket is preaching for and to the home crowd.......however this does delve into politics so I do not plan on following that path, and will leave it at that.

Just my 2 cent`s worth

Sincerely
Larry
laurence strong  

Posted by Gowan on 17 Feb 2012, 08:11

sorry for getting a bit political back there.

As for the problem of global warming and population boom, here might be a solution. Apparently at the end of the year we'll all be dead! :tongue:

oh why do they even bother saying it's the end of the world? actualy...

...here is the truth :lol:

So as for global warming here is why It is a problem. Come to NZ wear no sunblock for a day in summer and at the end of the day see if you are not sunburnt. The thin O-zone over NZ was causes by human activity :angry2: so I can easily believe we are heating the atmosphere up :angry3: . Just to compare in argentina it took a half a week before I got a bit burned here half and hour and the effects are worse :(
Gowan  

Posted by laurence strong on 17 Feb 2012, 17:22

The thin O-zone over NZ was causes by human activity

Yes in a way. According to the accepted science it is caused by chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and halogens from human industry.
laurence strong  

Posted by musketier on 17 Feb 2012, 20:08

Well, now that I know that all our snow went to Bourbaki's place it explains it all :-D
musketier  United States of America

Posted by laurence strong on 17 Feb 2012, 23:12

Yeah we have had a pretty mild winter out west (central Alberta) here as well this year. +3 C outside today, kinda nice for Febuary......should be in the -20 range.
laurence strong  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Previous page

Return to Officers Mess