Officers Mess

In honor of my finally deciding on an Avatar.

Posted by efb on 20 Nov 2007, 16:11

In honor of that decision...Here's a little taste of what they're cookin' in the SEC (and a good soundtrack for once).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RJsxyV ... re=related

THat's my Gators utterly utterly dominating (think Austerlitz) the o-h-i-o state buckeyes, from up north, for last years National Championship.
efb  

Posted by Benno on 20 Nov 2007, 17:19

That's a cool pic & video. :mrgreen:
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by efb on 20 Nov 2007, 17:49

Thanks for moving it for me...I hadn't had my fourth cup of coffee yet when I posted it this morning.

Glad you enjoyed it...I certainly did 8) .

There are huge rivalries among SEC teams and other teams in the South but, there's always something especially sweet about stomping a team from up north.

This is as good a place as any to introduce my British and European friends to American College Football. The rules are basically the same as the NFL but everything surrounding the two games couldn't be more different.

College football, in America, has been around almost as long as the English professional leagues. It's much older than the nfl and the rivalries and fans are much more intense...especially in the South.

Another little taste.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSoL5-o ... re=related

To be continued...if any of you are interested.
efb  

Posted by efb on 21 Nov 2007, 21:46

I got some very good news today...in regards to football.

I now have tickets to this weekends game between the Florida Gators and the florida state seminoles (crimenoles as they're called).

To make a long story short, I am a fan of Florida but I was born in the town where florida state is located. A lot of insults, trash talk, fights, etc., etc. Even though I've seen the Gators play many times, I've never been to this game before...the one that meant everything when I was a kid (we moved when I was 13). This game was the event of the year. Bigger than Christmas.

If it went well my life was good...if it went bad my life was miserable.

We're leaving for Florida in a few hours and I can't wait.

On a different note, I should have some War of Spanish Succession Minifigs waiting on me when I get back so I'll actually have some soldier news to report.
efb  

Posted by Benno on 21 Nov 2007, 22:17

That's very cool for ya. 8)
Hope you'll have a great time, although you certainly will have. ;-)

I know college football only from American High School movies, it isn't very popular in the Netherlands (only soccer). Would be nice to see a game one time, to feel the atmosphere around the field etcetera.
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by efb on 21 Nov 2007, 22:33

Thanks Benno. I think you'd dig it.

I think American football would be a lot more popular around the world if people were more familiar with the college game. There's a lot more passion involved and genuine rivalries...Pro football is just dry and boring to me and they wear goofy uniforms.

Here's a couple of links that do a very good job of getting across what it's like to be at and around the games.

The first one does not go well for the Gators but the announcer's call is maybe one of the greatest in college football history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qnenon-DSk

Georgia is Florida's oldest rival. I was seven when this happened and I cried my eyes out.

The second is about the Grove at Ole Miss. This place, in Oxford Mississippi, is the essence of SEC football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97FK5GUoFS0
efb  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Benno on 21 Nov 2007, 22:55

I think the clips give a good impression of college football, especially the clip of the Grove.

Are the announcers for a team or are they neutral? And are mascottes and cheerleaders very important for a game?
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by efb on 21 Nov 2007, 23:29

Cheerleaders and bands are essential, if not for the game, to the over all experience. It just wouldn't be nearly the same without them.

Oxford is a great town. It's the home of William Faulkner and RL Burnside. They have great bookstores and bars.

The announcers are neutral if it's a national or regional broadcast. What you heard was Larry Munson the legendary announcer for Georgia...you reckon he wanted Georgia to win?
efb  

Posted by smokinprice on 22 Nov 2007, 03:37

BTW...I am also a Gator fan. I have a lot of Gator gear but I have never been to a game. I would love to go at some point. Benno, you really show take in a game sometime. Even the NFL has to be experienced. You would probably love it.
smokinprice  United States of America

Posted by efb on 26 Nov 2007, 03:49

Glad to hear that smokin'

Here's an article about the game...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/con ... _1125.html

But, all you really need to know is that the seminoles are still as low down and dirty a bunch a football players as there's ever been...and that they paid dearly for it Saturday afternoon.

It was awesome. I'll put some of the pictures I took on Saturday up tomorrow.
efb  

Posted by Benno on 26 Nov 2007, 16:45

Eagerly awaiting the pictures you made efb... 8)
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by efb on 26 Nov 2007, 20:42

This is me before the game in the process of shucking and eating about half a bushel of oysters.
efb  

Posted by Benno on 26 Nov 2007, 22:08

Those are very dark shades, haha. :laughing:

*I reckoned that the announcer was for Georgia yeah

Oh no you don't!
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by efb on 26 Nov 2007, 23:58

Awesome picture...#1 is Percy Harvin and he's outstanding.

A little background...it goes without saying that the two fan bases don't care for one another at all but, there's also some very bad blood between the actual organizations. The seminoles are a dirty bunch. In 1996 they spent the whole game hitting the Gator quarterback after the whistle had blown (the two teams met a month later for the national championship and the Gators destroyed them). In 2001 an f$u player was accussed of twisting the knee of the Gators star running back after a play when they were all tangled up in a pile.

This year an f$u player, Geno Hayes #10, told the world that he and the seminoles were going to take Tim Tebow, the Gators all-star quarter back, out. Well the first play on defense, these idiots threw Tebow down after the whistle blew. Then on the next play, after the whistle, this Geno Hayes slaps Tebow in the head.

After that the Gators went crazy. Percy Harvin put a defender on his a**, in the course of play, and then Tebow carried five seminoles into the endzone for a touchdown. The rout was on.

During the game Hayes slapped Tebow's hand away as he tried to help him up...after the game Hayes had to be restrained during the post-game press conference. Typical classy seminole.

Anyway, here's Mrs.efb wearing the same brand of shades, MSPaint, but a more stylish model, and smoking her trademark ceegar.

And, finally, here's the Gators getting yet another first-down.

efb  

Posted by Benno on 29 Nov 2007, 23:29

Thanks for the story. I really enjoy this topic. :thumbup:
Nice collection of MSpaint shades you guys have.

PS. That guy should have his eyes checked.
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by efb on 30 Nov 2007, 04:53

I'm glad you're enjoying it...I'll make a Gator fan out of you yet.

First thing you must do is drink the Tim Tebow Kool-Aid. He's probably going to win the Hiesman Trophy this year. It's the award for the Most Outstanding College Player. Tebow's only a sophmore and no sophmore has ever won the award.

All last year me and Mrsefb made fun of the hype surrounding this fella but, after seeing him play three times this year...I'm a true believer now.

Here's a pretty funny video from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgaa8b8G ... re=related

P.S. I saw Forest Gump over the holiday weekend. He does indeed play for Alabama and the Legendary Bear Bryant in the movie.
efb  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by efb on 13 Dec 2007, 20:35

Tim Tebow did indeed win the Heisman Trophy this weekend. It's the award for the Most Outstanding Player in College Football. He's the first ever Sophmore to win the award.

How many of you are thinking how much you'd like to paint that thing?
efb  

Posted by efb on 16 Jan 2008, 18:09

Making one last report.

Last week the Louisiana State University Tigers, of the Mighty MIGHTY SEC...that's SOUTH EASTERN Conference...did what was expected. They won the national championship by soundly beating the ohio state university buckeyes.

That's right the same bunch of clowns from up north that the Gators destroyed this time last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkIop4Fexbg
Brings a tear to my eye...everytime I watch it.

Here's a vid fromt the LSU/Alabam game. That was a great game and gives a pretty good idea of what a slugfest the season was for LSU. They are the first two loss team to ever win a National CHampionship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qYkPy0a3dM

The other thing that brings a tear, or two to my eyes is the poor preformance of my beloved Gators in the old Tangerine Bowl. The defence, which is talented but extremely young, was torched by michigan...an inspired team that was trying to send their resigning coach out with a win.

Otherwise the SEC was 7-2 in post season.

It's been over a week since the season ended and I'm starting to seriously suffer from withdrawls. I ordered two boxes of Imperial 30 Year War infantry from ebay yesterday in an attempt at distraction.
efb  

Return to Officers Mess