Work in Progress

Airfix in Afghanistan...

Posted by Harry Faversham on 17 Apr 2021, 07:28

I'm having a go at Airfix's 1:48 modern British Infantry, funny looking figures, long in the leg and with little pinheads! Painting 'ems not much fun either as the uniforms, webbing and equipment are all very much of a sameness. There's not much to work with to make them interesting, but I'll have to persevere as the Taliban are ready and waiting to give them a fight.

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Wiking on 17 Apr 2021, 09:24

Great for you.
Share with us.
Pictures please!
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Peter on 17 Apr 2021, 11:50

Wiking wrote:Great for you.
Share with us.
Pictures please!

Yes, I agree with that! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Harry Faversham on 22 Apr 2021, 11:44

Here's some pretty rubbish piccys of the figures, I haven't got the hang yet of taking 'em with Herself's mobile trombone!

And to give them some fire support here's a tickled up ready made Warrior from 'Easy Models'...

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 22 Apr 2021, 13:59

Great looking figures and tank! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 22 Apr 2021, 19:22

Harry Faversham wrote: I haven't got the hang yet of taking 'em with Herself's mobile trombone!

As with most of your slang comments my school English is again at it´s limit. No idea what you are talking about, mate.

;-)
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 23 Apr 2021, 00:49

T. Dürrschmidt wrote:As with most of your slang comments my school English is again at it´s limit. No idea what you are talking about, mate.

;-)

He can't work out how to take photographs with his wife's handy ( is that the correct German term?). Rhyming slang, trombone = phone.

That's OK, I can't work those stupid things either. :xd:

Harry, the pictures are not very sharp but it looks as if the painting of the DPM is very effective; nice job on those figures. :thumbup:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 23 Apr 2021, 05:27

Graeme wrote:He can't work out how to take photographs with his wife's handy ( is that the correct German term?). Rhyming slang, trombone = phone.

However, this is not about the "correct german term", which by the way neither Thomas nor anyone else asked for, but about generally understandable english spelling.
If you try to distinguish yourself by using supposedly “original“ slang, you deliberately risk being misunderstood by the vast majority of readers here. :coffee:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Harry Faversham on 23 Apr 2021, 08:56

Best let the pictures do the talking then, poor as they are.
To save any further confusion, my dear Manstein, here's a piccy of a 'telling bone'...

:P
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 23 Apr 2021, 11:43

T. Dürrschmidt wrote:
As with most of your slang comments my school English is again at it´s limit. No idea what you are talking about, mate.

;-)

The rhyming slang that Harry uses is not routinely taught in British schools either...and my sympathies for finding it difficult linguistically.!!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 23 Apr 2021, 11:48

I'm British but even I find it difficult to follow what Harry says sometimes... :-D :-D

As others have picked up on, the 'trombone is', I believe' slang for ''phone'....in this case the high-tec mobile device with brilliant camera that Harry has mentioned before as belonging to his 'other half'.

And yes, I agree that the pictures could do with a little sharpening up to allow the fine detail to be seen. But the figures and Warrior look very good.

The setting appears to be Salisbury Plain...are these troops in training before they arrive in the drier and dustier climes of Afghanistan?

Posted by Harry Faversham on 23 Apr 2021, 13:39

:oops: Apologies to all, I'll try and rite in proppa inglish, henceforth :oops:

As M says the 2 Para lads are in training for a tour of Helmund Province. Piccys of which will be forthcoming when they meet the Taliban!

Hope the different types of DPM are a bit clearer on these slightly better piccys? A mix and match of European and Desert equipment was a feature of 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment's first tour of Helmund. That's the kind of look I was after.

For England, Harry and Saint George!

:P
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 23 Apr 2021, 20:16

Very effective difference in the DPM on these figures, well done Harry!

Posted by Harry Faversham on 24 Apr 2021, 06:17

Cheers M, I really didn't like the figures when building and painting them, they're kind of growing on me a bit now they're completed.

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 26 Apr 2021, 20:56

Graeme wrote:
He can't work out how to take photographs with his wife's handy ( is that the correct German term?). Rhyming slang, trombone = phone.

That's OK, I can't work those stupid things either. :xd:

Harry, the pictures are not very sharp but it looks as if the painting of the DPM is very effective; nice job on those figures. :thumbup:

Dankschej für d´Hülf. Bist a Scharnierl! (that was Northern Bavarian slang)…..

Thank´s for the help….you are like a hinge (that means very helpful)….
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Xantippos on 26 Aug 2022, 15:23

Nice ;) . It's a shame Airfix did these only in 1:48 but not in 1:72 or 1/32....

I swore that I would never enter into this scale, as my figurines and collectables are already pushing me out of home!
Xantippos  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Work in Progress