Work in Progress

Waffen SS...

Posted by Harry Faversham on 20 Jan 2020, 02:57

Here's a couple of 1:48 Hitlerjugend blokes. More than one person's described this range as 'absolutely awful' sculpts...
what say the Brethren?

:read:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Jan 2020, 10:28

Think I've seen worst sculpting. Not fond of the scale, but I know that there are planes and pilots in 1:48. The painting looks great though!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Jan 2020, 12:59

The paint job is very good but the figures....how shall I put this tactfully?.....belie the myth of the Aryan superman.

They seem short legged & awkward looking. Real people can be definitely "funny looking" but I guess I expect my wargame figures to be more...heroic? (though even obliquely referring to the horrible SS as "heroic" seems wrong).

I've recently seen the excellent parody, 'JoJo Rabbit'. The figures could come from the movie.

Harry: I hope this hasn't been hurtful. If so, it was not my intention but I thought you could, unlike Daniel Kaffee, handle the truth.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 20 Jan 2020, 13:50

:mad: Hurtful, hurtful... mi' flabbers never been so gasted! :mad:

They're a tad weird sculpts but have kind of grown on me a bit as I've painted 'em. I've got British Paras and Commandos, Yank Paras and the Jerrys from this range. Thing is though, they'll not mix and match with anything, as they're like nothing else I've ever seen!

:eh:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jan 2020, 18:00

They also wore reversible coats so white is also another option one could take when painting these guys up.

However your camouflage pattern is certainly a something i could never do myself, so it is rather super cool Harry. :thumbup: Well done young bean.

:coffee: i could manage to open up a new can of white paint though. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Jan 2020, 09:27

Harry Faversham wrote::mad: Hurtful, hurtful... mi' flabbers never been so gasted! :mad:

They're a tad weird sculpts but have kind of grown on me a bit as I've painted 'em. I've got British Paras and Commandos, Yank Paras and the Jerrys from this range. Thing is though, they'll not mix and match with anything, as they're like nothing else I've ever seen!

Harry, of course my opinion matters not at all & if the figures bring you joy, that's all that matters.

You obviously have a blast with your gaming. Good on you.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 24 Jan 2020, 12:40

Don, you've nailed it there mate. It'a all about playing with our toys, innit!?
This might sound strange, bearing in mind the despicable reputation of the soldiers I'm creating, but pea-dotting is quiet therapeutic...
in a very masochistic kind of a way!

:stressed:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 Jan 2020, 15:14

Nice paint jobs on those Waffen SS types. I would say the helmet is all wrong. It looks more like the Imperial Shuttle Pilot from Star Wars than anything ever seen in the 1940s. The officer looks pretty good but I think his head is too small and his neck is too long.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 24 Jan 2020, 16:03

I will not say a word about the figures, but your painting is excellent! Love it how you did the cammo! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Jan 2020, 08:10

Harry, I do a bit of WW2 gaming (NW Europe, late war).

My smallish number of Germans are all Heer or Fallschirmjager. I have about 12 figures I could paint as Waffen-SS.

Did you use some online painting tutorial? If not, any tips? They'd be 1/72 of course so this scheme could be a recipe for madness. I also want to paint up about a dozen British paras but the camo-challenge has also put that project on the back-burner.

donald

(some really rude comments-above- about the figures. I'm glad I didn't pile on and say they were so ugly that they'd get bullied at school). :-)
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 25 Jan 2020, 12:35

To be fair that's why I started this baloney! Many years ago when these figures first came out they got a panning as dreadful sculpts, so I hid 'em away in the Emporium's darkest corner. These days we've all been braynwashed into thinking dumpy looking trolls with bandy legs in 28mm scale are how WW2 soldiers looked. Here's a 28mm bloke with a couple of proper 1:48 scale lads to look up to!

When I dug these out I found them strangely refreshing to look at, but obviously, from the comments above they're still much unloved. So, mi' master plan, now that I find Scarab miniatures still make 'em, is to make several skirmish units from these figures and see what appertains.
I can find my way around a Denison smock in munchkin scale. main thing to remember is a base of tan yellow, then brown patches, overlaid with green. As to peadot I hadn't a scooby, never having been a fan of the baddies, so I followed this tutorial...

http://sixtwentyeight.blogspot.com/2017 ... ttern.html

I did find less is definitely more with the bright green dots though, don't get too carried away with them. Once you get the hang of it, peadotting's quiet enjoyable!

Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Jan 2020, 14:05

Thanks, pal. In vallejo colours and all.

I know you won't let the 'nay sayers' (sadly including me) put you off. More power to your painting arm.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 26 Jan 2020, 02:35

You're welcome, post some piccys, when you've got some paint on the figures.

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 07 Feb 2020, 00:42

“Nailed ‘im Corp!”

“Good lad, home now for tea and medals!”

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 07 Feb 2020, 23:43

Herself's gobsmacked me wiv a good 'un today. I've been painting a couple of Waffen SS blokes toting Panzerfausts. She stuck her snek at wot I was doing and then said...

"They're them things that look like big toffee apples that you shoot at tanks."

When I picked myself up from the floor I asked how she knew such wondrous things...

"Sometimes when you're droning on, some of your crap registers, dear!"

:love1:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 16 Feb 2020, 23:10

Here's a thoroughly nasty piece of work in the shape of Obersturmbannführer August Von Richter, his vile underlings will not be far behind!

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 18 Feb 2020, 14:48

Just finished the rest of Von Richter’s motley shower…
proper set of pantomime baddies!

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 11 Mar 2020, 02:18

The bunch above had been in the stash for about 15 years before they got some paint splashed on 'em! :oops:
These big chaps have kind of grown on me, so I ordered a squad of 1:48 American Paratroopers from Scarab Miniatures. They arrived yesterday and the first one's nearly painted...

Currahee!!!

:cowboy:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 11 Mar 2020, 23:28

Go on Harry! I like them! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 12 Mar 2020, 08:50

I like them too!
Susofrick  Sweden

Next page

Return to Work in Progress