Work in Progress

Blood Bath at Orcs Drift 28mm ???!!! What The??...

Posted by PaulRPetri on 27 Oct 2019, 02:13

Sometimes projects take some very strange turns. Or maybe it's just my projects. I have posted previously a series of pictures of my 1/72 scale project by this same name when for some unknown reason I still cannot explain,I decided to do it in 28mm as well. Maybe this weekness stems from the fact that my very first metal miniatures that I ever purchased were Heritage miniatures Lizardmen and Goblins with glaives around 1977 as near as I can remember. It's funny I can remember that, I was around 14 years old at the time, but my first Airfix figures I couldn't say which I bought first but I had hordes of them starting from age 5 through age 12. I had everything from French Foreign Legion to WWII with lots of AMR and Napoleonics.

Anyway I have assembled enough 28mm stuff to do the scenario that I have already done in 1/72. These pictures are from that game I ran today at RockCon which is in North west Illinois ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Thanks for having a look.
Paul
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 06 Nov 2019, 22:25

Looks like it was a fun game Paul! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Nov 2019, 23:54

Nice buildings,and landscape Paul. :thumbup:
Very interesting topic and a pleasure to cast my eyes upon it. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Nov 2019, 11:26

Agree with Peter and Paul!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by PaulRPetri on 07 Nov 2019, 23:09

Thank you so much for the praise. However I can take no credit for any of the buildings in these pictures as these were done by Herb Gundt a master building maker as well as a master building painter.

I have always felt my terrain in general was third rate. I have been watching probably close to a hundred hours of YouTube trying to learn some new ideas to improve my landscape building technique. So I owe a big thanks to Luke APS for his great YouTube channel for really showing anyone interested and watches his videos how to make these type of hills.ImageImageImageImageImage

I also tried my hand at a stone enclosure and hedge field. Image

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Nov 2019, 09:29

I do like the terrain and the figures!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Nov 2019, 20:16

Not very exciting stuff I am posting currently but I am trying to finish off the terrain for The Blood Bath so I can start play testing the scenario as I have expanded it from its original form. So below are some dirt roads. These are made from Blue insulation foam. This idea came from Mel The Terrain Tutor. I have a Proxxon hot wire table so I milled down some of my foam I had on hand, it was two inches thick, down to around 5mm in thickness. I bevelled the edges with a knife, painted the blue foam brown and then the secret ingreidant was used. I saw this idea on several modelling Youtube channels and it goes like this. You use actual dirt, bake it in the oven for a few hours to dry it out then mix it with tile grout. Not daring to dig up my crummy dirt around my house I used Potting soil that I had on hand and used my food dehydrator which I have been using for years to dry out my plaster castings. I baked the dirt for around two hours until it was totally dried out. I then mixed it with tile grout, 50/50 in an old Woodland scenics shaker. You then cover the piece in white glue, cover it entirely with a 50/50 mixture of dirt and tile grout then soak that mix in Isopropyl alcohol from a sprayer, then cover the entire thing in 50/50 white glue and water mix. No painting required it looks great in my estimation. I also dragged a skewer through the wet mixture to get some wheel ruts and what not.
ImageImage

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Nov 2019, 20:21

Here are two shots of a Dwarf camp I did, the base is the same as the roads. I forgot to mention that I used static grass on the roads and also on the dwarf camp base. This goes right over the dirt.ImageImage

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Nov 2019, 20:25

On the painting front, here is one of the giants I recently completed. He is a Reaper Bones plastic figure made from that white flexible plastic.Image

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 Nov 2019, 18:58

Time for short review of the troops who will be defending the drift. Well maybe not everyone will be used but a good share of them. Once again I paint to a Wargame standard not an expert painter by any means. Thanks for having a look.
The first batch of figures are my dwarfs these fellows on the right with the very large two handed axe are from Warrior miniatures in the UK. The shorter figures on the left are from the Mage Knight click game that I repainted.ImageImageImage

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 Nov 2019, 19:00

Troop review part two: The nest group of figures are Ebay rescued GW High elfs that I repainted. Nice figure.ImageImage

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 Nov 2019, 19:03

Part Three of the Defenders side Review are a group of knights. These figures are from the 1992 game Battle Masters. They are actually GW sculpts that were used in the game. I even bought some old GW transfers on Ebay for the various shield and horse designs.Image[/url[url=https://postimg.cc/svYzySYf]Image
Thanks everyone for having look.

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Nov 2019, 12:26

The knights on their horses in their trails look very good!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 09 Jan 2020, 23:17

I see a whole lot of excellent painted figures! :thumbup:

I love that Reaper Bones Giant! Wonderfull painted! :love:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 12 Jan 2020, 02:58

Thank you for your kind words Peter. I really appreciate that.
I have been slowly working on this project. Below are some river sections I finished off a few months back. If I can pull it off I will attempt to post a tutorial on it.ImageImage

Posted by MABO on 15 Jan 2020, 15:05

The river looks cool. Can you tell us something about the work in progress?
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Jan 2020, 20:36

There`s some pretty cool work on display here. :thumbup:
You have been very busy Paul. Greetings BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by PaulRPetri on 16 Feb 2020, 21:44

Hello Men,

I was finally able to get a play test in for the Blood Bath last night with my regular gaming group. I was very happy with the game, it only needs a few adjustments. It was an orc victory in convincing fashion.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Posted by PaulRPetri on 16 Feb 2020, 21:49

Not very organized today here are a few more shots.ImageImageImage

Posted by PaulRPetri on 18 Feb 2020, 01:26

One of the players in the game sent out a few photos he took of the action on Saturday.ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to Work in Progress