Work in Progress

Blood Bath at Orcs Drift 28mm ???!!! What The??...

Posted by PaulRPetri on 27 Oct 2019, 02:13

Sometimes projects take some very strange turns. Or maybe it's just my projects. I have posted previously a series of pictures of my 1/72 scale project by this same name when for some unknown reason I still cannot explain,I decided to do it in 28mm as well. Maybe this weekness stems from the fact that my very first metal miniatures that I ever purchased were Heritage miniatures Lizardmen and Goblins with glaives around 1977 as near as I can remember. It's funny I can remember that, I was around 14 years old at the time, but my first Airfix figures I couldn't say which I bought first but I had hordes of them starting from age 5 through age 12. I had everything from French Foreign Legion to WWII with lots of AMR and Napoleonics.

Anyway I have assembled enough 28mm stuff to do the scenario that I have already done in 1/72. These pictures are from that game I ran today at RockCon which is in North west Illinois ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Thanks for having a look.
Paul
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 06 Nov 2019, 22:25

Looks like it was a fun game Paul! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Nov 2019, 23:54

Nice buildings,and landscape Paul. :thumbup:
Very interesting topic and a pleasure to cast my eyes upon it. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Nov 2019, 11:26

Agree with Peter and Paul!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by PaulRPetri on 07 Nov 2019, 23:09

Thank you so much for the praise. However I can take no credit for any of the buildings in these pictures as these were done by Herb Gundt a master building maker as well as a master building painter.

I have always felt my terrain in general was third rate. I have been watching probably close to a hundred hours of YouTube trying to learn some new ideas to improve my landscape building technique. So I owe a big thanks to Luke APS for his great YouTube channel for really showing anyone interested and watches his videos how to make these type of hills.ImageImageImageImageImage

I also tried my hand at a stone enclosure and hedge field. Image

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Nov 2019, 09:29

I do like the terrain and the figures!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Nov 2019, 20:16

Not very exciting stuff I am posting currently but I am trying to finish off the terrain for The Blood Bath so I can start play testing the scenario as I have expanded it from its original form. So below are some dirt roads. These are made from Blue insulation foam. This idea came from Mel The Terrain Tutor. I have a Proxxon hot wire table so I milled down some of my foam I had on hand, it was two inches thick, down to around 5mm in thickness. I bevelled the edges with a knife, painted the blue foam brown and then the secret ingreidant was used. I saw this idea on several modelling Youtube channels and it goes like this. You use actual dirt, bake it in the oven for a few hours to dry it out then mix it with tile grout. Not daring to dig up my crummy dirt around my house I used Potting soil that I had on hand and used my food dehydrator which I have been using for years to dry out my plaster castings. I baked the dirt for around two hours until it was totally dried out. I then mixed it with tile grout, 50/50 in an old Woodland scenics shaker. You then cover the piece in white glue, cover it entirely with a 50/50 mixture of dirt and tile grout then soak that mix in Isopropyl alcohol from a sprayer, then cover the entire thing in 50/50 white glue and water mix. No painting required it looks great in my estimation. I also dragged a skewer through the wet mixture to get some wheel ruts and what not.
ImageImage

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Nov 2019, 20:21

Here are two shots of a Dwarf camp I did, the base is the same as the roads. I forgot to mention that I used static grass on the roads and also on the dwarf camp base. This goes right over the dirt.ImageImage

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Nov 2019, 20:25

On the painting front, here is one of the giants I recently completed. He is a Reaper Bones plastic figure made from that white flexible plastic.Image

Return to Work in Progress