Work in Progress

The true tail of my 24 Pdr Guns

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Oct 2017, 05:18

Bought from War Games Foundry,these are 28mm French 24 pdr Guns with American gun crews.
The Perry Brothers modelled them years ago for the American War of Independence.

Saturday last,arrived and my day had begun well, and work had resumed popping on the hairy roof thatching,and I had been producing cabbages from little moulds for another project when I thought," It is high time I set to and braised all those wheels onto the four gun carriages." It being the case there was and is no metal spindle connected for the wheels to simply slip on for any a trundling that they would ever have wish to do. That is if a greased up wheel or wheels could ever have a ponderment of such a bumpy riding along thing.

So out came my trusty soldering iron,but where my flux was is anybody`s guess. Yes just another one of those unexplained mysteries that often cloud over my mind as to the whereabouts of long ago lost things. Yes a little flux would certainly aid the under and overflow of hot melted lead. However after leaving the iron to heat up I soon had each freewheeling thing attached good and proper.

As I took a gander of the last upside down shiny thing. I remembered where that missing item was. Upstairs in the railway room where I had last used it to solder new parts onto a Loco motor.

:sst: "bb`s are very forgetful at odd times," mentioned the little shy button that never speaks in capatals.___ :eh: " Eh! You mean there`s more than one?"

Now it must be mentioned that I need to bench drill these out, but that is an adventure for another day.

For now each stands supported rightly so, by cool now braised on fresh wheels.And I did not burn myself this time,which made me happy and contented as to the way it all went upon that day. :-D
;-) "What about the cabbages?"____ :sst: " shuuuuush! don`t ask."
:-D They sort of turned out well. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Oct 2017, 08:12

It of course should proclaim A True Tale, but i type to quick and get word configurations wrong.
Sorry about this guys. For tails are affixed perhaps to tiny furry things. :-D
May you all have a fine safe day. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 05 Oct 2017, 12:04

Beano Boy wrote:And I did not burn myself this time.....................

Now we are well aware that you have a propensity to indulge in the generation of children's fiction BB but isn't this getting a little far fetched? :P
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Oct 2017, 14:09

Well at 68,I am still eccentric as my day is long FredG,and therefore have a willingness and a readiness to jot the odd jot down.After all I just could not simply state,"I fixed some wheels upon some guns." :-D Could i ?

The bright thing is everything written is most actively true, cabbages too,and not fiction at all.
The guns are there as is my soldering iron,but no flux. The solder fixed e`m tight enough and true to the eye that lined their angle out,and I did not get burnt. Quite unusual for myself as I am normally most clumsy. Yes a home spun truth.
It is most true I do write elements of fiction within the phraseology of chosen diction,but most is grounded in certain truths.

Cabbages,yes we grow e`m big in Norfolk. All I have to do is green them up a bit.
You have a good evening FredG. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 05 Oct 2017, 21:27

BB, I have absolutely no doubt that you did as you say with the cannon. The incredulous part is that you had a hot soldering iron in your hand and didn't burn yourself. I only manage to get away with that when I wear my Foundry Gloves :P

Nice cabbages BTW :mrgreen:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Oct 2017, 02:55

That's OK,FredG,i took no great offense concerning your comment ,and thank you for both of them. So I`m cool. It was good to slip my awkward to make cabbages upon the scene too.

I would certainly be much more dangerous to those around me,if I wore large foundry cloves

:mrgreen: Making ferns are next for my old walls. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 06 Oct 2017, 04:28

Beano Boy wrote:Cabbages,yes we grow e`m big in Norfolk.

You do grow them big in Norfolk :shock: . In fact I think those guys are going to need 64 pounders to fire them.

Ferns on the old walls sounds like a good idea. :-)
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Peter on 30 Oct 2017, 22:05

I see some nice salade! Is that for on the walls? :mrgreen:

Looks great so far Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Mar 2018, 17:48

The first Guns were 28mm scale.

These baby`s are Prince August 54mm scale,but i`ve up-gunned them to brass 9 pounder`s.
As some might already i used epoxey resin to fix the carriages together. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Work in Progress