Work in Progress

The Asterix scratch building project.

Posted by FredG on 11 Jul 2017, 16:18

Yes BB, he does look a little familiar.

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 12 Jul 2017, 11:52

He's showing his age a bit though, his red hair is turning grey.

Beano Boy wrote:The work ongoing is limited as I can only perhapes spare an hour or two from my busy day....
Beano Boy actually means comic book fun,

But what you do with that hour or two is always quite remarkable and I always enjoy seeing it.

As for comic book fun, all this talk of Asterix has prompted me to dig this out of the bookcase :-D

Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Jul 2017, 13:11

That`s the friendly humorous style FredG & Graeme that i like. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank`s for making my day. :thumbup:
:sst: " sure is a great looking book.",said the little button.
:read: " Ya, i`d love to bite into a few pages myself." said the hungry Bookworm! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Jul 2017, 01:16

I will try to explain best as i can this procedure i have formulated myself. ;-)
More work has been ongoing yesterday on forming the ridge line on the roof.
Gradually forming a tapered ridge sloping down from each end, whereas the middle section being nearly a third of the actual roof is finished.

I formed the higher fronts then overlaid it with a tapered length of hemp stuck into place,and which formed an overlapping fringe. It is a slow process and requires i do this several times before i am happy with the designed comic book look i have put upon this build. Each overlapped piece is not twisted during this stage of the work. Twisting at this stage forms bumps on the top making it much harder to lay the next course neatly into place. It is stuck into place by white glue,however the top is wet down with watered down glue with a dip of soap added to the mix. This helps breaks the surface area of the dry hemp allowing it to soak through the layers.It is dabbed on by brush. So it soaks into the unglued top part,because no way can you brush loose hemp with the thick glue. That can be applied once the wet stuff has fully dried, and so the process of repetitive raising of the slopping ridge line continues. One layer at a time allowing each to dry out first. To do otherwise by lumping stuff on top of wet layers would mean the roof would take ages to fully dry out. __________Weeks!

Slowly the curve from the flat finished middle section of the roof to each raised end is being formed. Two more tapered layers and this job will be done and dusted after a tidy up trim.
Nearing the end now,and the base is the next thing that needs designing and casting up in stone.
There is never a dull day here in Fiddle Wood. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress