Work in Progress

The Asterix scratch building project.

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Oct 2017, 09:15

Thank you Gunnar, it will take a while to finish but no great rush is needed.

The instructions for the double wall is there within the pages of Robinson the poor widows son. He toiled under the gaze of the all seeing eye, filling up the space between them with rock chippings. The Author Daniel Defoe,being a Free Mason placed the signs there, along with the instruction for building a double sided palisade. My little fences are to be double sided too, and infilled with stone too. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Dad's Army on 23 Oct 2017, 21:14

One thing is for sure, you're going faster on this project then me :mrgreen:
Please put me in your will, leave the houses to me, hahahaha they look so cool :love:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Oct 2017, 00:15

Weaving The Little Outhouse BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Oct 2017, 00:22

It`s time for a break from weaving.
Showing the simple loop over and under knot,and it`s time to take a break. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 24 Oct 2017, 08:07

You are sure it won't be a nice little basket?
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Oct 2017, 15:48

It could well be one of those Gunnar, or just a fancy light shade.
Thank you for the banter. :thumbup:

:mrgreen: "Or is it simply a tongue in cheek wind up?"

However silly me I forgot to place the plastic sheet over my jig before starting and so had to pull it all off and back upon my ball of string. :-D The splendid thing is it is darn good practice at making balls of string. :mrgreen: "Ya I like that."

So restarting on Plan A again I thought `lets just simply wait and see how it will all turn out. :-D See you later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 24 Oct 2017, 17:39

Susofrick wrote:There is one thing with these long WIPs, we're going to miss it when it's over! It's like a good TV-series!

That's very true, but there is the next project to look forward to. :-D Always something interesting on BB's workbench.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Oct 2017, 02:36

The double walls are finished and every span of weaving knotted and glued into place. The rendering will be next ,along with work upon the roof.

This Beano Boy, series contained that awful episode that Gunnar, found quite horrible.
:mrgreen: "But I liked it."

Each part for me is a sort of pathway adventure, and really I never totally know how things will turn out. I just snap away with my camera the days events, and then write and post daily each stage as it comes. It might seem strange or even crazy filming a something that might end in failure, but that heightens the adventurous fun. :-D ____ :sst:" and failures are often quite funny."
I guess it is the way one views them,and I always explain mine putting the reason why? too.

There will be extra Barrels of fun upon this building project too and all who view will understand that comment when things start to roll out. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 25 Oct 2017, 08:08

That's a really good book! But it shows its' age. Who would make fun of longhaired bards today? And some spiders too! :mrgreen: Are you going to paint them?
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Oct 2017, 17:33

Ye Olde Book, in question. Yes I agree Gunnar,about the hair.
I troll the Asterix pages on line, and fiddle a fudge out of a find in keeping with this cartoon type scratch-build. It sort of adds to the fun. The Spiders are easy to obtain on the high street and Mrs B,bought a load for me,knowing how much I love them. :eh: " O` my ! " They will be used as they are as simple props. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Oct 2017, 17:53

The work went well, and soon the stringing of the double walls were finished. I gave the string a coating of PVA Glue,and left it overnight. Later I was stuffing dry strips of kitchen paper down hard with a stick into the cavity. There was no need to use glue at this stage.

I tied string around the top sticks over the doorway,and pulled them in rather tight in order to make the entrance way ;-) sort of a bit square.

The paper pushed the walls out into a nice sturdy shape.

Glue was added to the last topping paper and left to go tacky!

The sticks were then trimmed off, and more splodgy thick glue was added on top and fine shingle was heaped onto that and pressed down by hand.The stone topping finished it off rather nicely. Later when the glue has dried out hard I will tip off any loose stones. Always handy to have fine shingle in ones stash! :-D

I raided Mrs B`s kitchen for the paper. It was sort of a Special Ops Moment, while she was upon the first dog walk of the day. Who dares Wins, kinda rings a bell.

This has been another learning curb for me. The next one I make I will infill the cavity with paper at certain heights as I am stringing the skewers.

Now I need to figure out the doorway,and roof. So I`ll get back to you guys later . :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Oct 2017, 22:56

I forgot to mention a certain something before. It is the fact every stick stuck into my simple homemade jig was buttered up with best butter. I only use the best products in my work. So ZIP! The outhouse should lift off like grease lightning.
:sst: " well butter lightning anyway", mentioned the little button.

I have long earned a reputation of being rather unorthodox in my hobby escapades. So this has to be one of the coolest crazy-like ones ever.
So enjoy my fun. :-D

THE WORK GOES WELL

Hi guys, it was as I began to peg out the second little outhouse that I realised the last of my wooden skewers would be used up if I continued to weave around these sticks. I looked it over in my mind and then thought up a Plan B. Which was to use my last wooden skewers as lift off pins.
So my jig now has wooden pins__________________ so into my stash I rummaged until I found plastic drinking straws. These would slip over each pin wonderfully well,and plan b,was to wind a weave pattern of repetition around the drinking straws. The aim is when all the work is completed and the resin glue set dry and hard,then all that would be required is a simple straight lift off ,as the straws would slid up the wooden pins as if they were greased up with butter. In theory it should work,but how will it actually work out in a hands on scratch build of such a chaos theory ? :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Oct 2017, 17:41

While the straw one dries out nicely. The other......

........ is off the jig.

I left all the sticks proud for a very good reason.

To be able to play the hobby game with sticks,glue and string, has so far been lots of fun.
Now guys the dressing up work begins. :-D

Even a King looks keen enough to use this outhouse.

The wooden skewers left proud, are well grounded into a brand new air drying base.

The doorway will be fitted later as indeed will a quirky rooftop of very odd degree.
The walls will be rendered!

Comments are always most welcome. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Oct 2017, 18:08

Here is yet another scratch build for this open ended project. The Palisade!

Out of the stash box wooden dowels will need a darn good bashing before use.
"Mrs B, please do you happen to know where my small hammer is?
:sst: " and more string please?" :mrgreen: " Were would BB,be without his string?"
;-) " Stringless!"

:coffee: With the work gearing up a pace,this place is filling up. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2017, 05:41

Just to add a couple more points,on my construction pattern of play.I placed wire into the clay base to reinforce it,and PVA Glue was applied to the inside and front pathway onto the wet clay and fine gravel was heaped on and pressed down by hand. The loose stuff will fall away later when all is dried out,and I turn it over for a pat of the hand upon its side. I saw no point at all to wait for the base to set hard before applying this rock hard gravel floor level.

This is the very first time I used this clay powder above so the verdict is still out concerning it.
However it did mix up quite well and can be sealed up in a plastic bag once that mixing has been done,and not go hard. Mine was mixed up 3 weeks ago before using it and was a pleasure to work with.

https://youtu.be/VIJlFBAAjvE

Wattle and Daub construction on You Tube sets out the principles one tries to assimilate.

I felt upon my scratch buildings that string was easier to use and is very strong and cheap as chips. Combined with wooden skewers and PVA Glue and paper,i was left with a good solid sound in this case Outhouse for the Gaul Village. So now it needs the Daub to finish this main job of construction.

As I have no experience in this type of build.
By doing a couple of common sense samples I feel any size or shape of building could be attempted for anyone into this smaller side of the scratch-building hobby. Money saved buys the figures needed for any type of display. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 29 Oct 2017, 09:28

I anticipate a selection of wattle hurdles appearing soon :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2017, 20:47

Well I have raised a few wattles fences here on this vastly expanding addictive habit!
;-) I mean topic. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 30 Oct 2017, 22:09

Good to see that you are still working on this fun project Paul! Looks real nice! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Nov 2017, 00:49

Yes Peter, :winky: I am still very active in the cheapest of scratch-building ideas on this topic with another three buildings now taking fun filled final shape.

While these Gaul`s are a feasting in a cheerful mood......

;-) I will be making clay bases for them on the 1st of November. Time is moving ever faster while I get ever slower. :sst: "i think gunnar might have the same clock as bb."

:mrgreen: "Then top-hats for each building from a plentiful homemade mix ."
:sst: "nothing but the best materials that a penny will buy will be used."

Yes there and then I will make each a rooftop using the simple pointed paper form above.
The styrene stuck into place will help create the window recesses

Is that one of Torsten`s Wild Boar? :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 01 Nov 2017, 17:13

That isn't a wild boar, that is a surprised boar! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress