Work in Progress

The Asterix scratch building project.

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Nov 2017, 09:35

I found the expensive clay in its shrinking, creaked during the drying time.
A certain something i cared little for, so i plotted out a new course of weaving wattle for daubing.
A something that would not shrink.

Earlier I used plastic straws over my remaining wooden skewers. Although I later decided to only use one building of this size,i did actually produce three. My other two were made using straws. So I thought to show you how easy they came off my jig!

Long ago I bought the cheapest spoons for my work,and using this one for leverage .......

.... was so easy a task to do. It needed no brute force it just sailed off the skewers!

The idea based upon simple engineering principle proved very successful in the end,and much larger shapes on biger scratch-builds would be possible using this system without the need for clay. One just cannot get cheaper solid walls than drinking straws,paper and string. :-D

After the cavity was stuffed with dry paper and top dressed in stone, i proceeded to make the tiny roofs. The stone shingle is not really needed,i could have used dry sand or simply left it with a coating of glue, but it was just my way of dressing the pieces up. ;-) It will all be painted and dry brushed later.

With the roof tops made,the same mix went on the walls.
So no waste at all except that which oddly affixed to my work table and in which I used a big hammer and chisel to remove it. :mrgreen: "Just kidding!"

Now I need only to add a window or two and dress my little roof-tops. ;-)

A wooden build is underway. All results are for later. I hope you tongue in cheek visit again. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 02 Nov 2017, 10:35

Passing a lot of building sites during our walks I must say that this is the nicest!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Nov 2017, 00:39

Gunnar,It most certainly is the warmest building site i must say,
it being cosy toasted inside our home, that is for sure. Although not the tidiest! ;-)
Thanks for commenting from the far north lands of the mid day sun. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Nov 2017, 16:45

At long last my first round wooden building.
I drew around my trusty old sweet tin once more, ;-) and pinned the ring while sticking the balsa wood in place.

Stuck onto a backing piece of paper card which is not stuck to the sheet of card underneath.

This will be thatched sometime this week,but for now just checking it out for correct size.
Yes that will do.

An inner circle of wood will ring the changes inside,and a double sided hinged door will hang where my finger is pointing.So it will open and like the curvature of this place it too will be a curved door. :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Nov 2017, 01:23

Time out for tea. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Nov 2017, 08:38

Tea? I'm coming! Sugar, no milk, please. :-) Your hut looks really great! Just waiting for the paint!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Nov 2017, 16:51

Yes paint? ;-) !

I do have a wood stain mixture I can make up,
if i can remember my mathematical formula. :eh: :eh: :eh: :eh: :eh: ___ :sst: "o dear me." :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Nov 2017, 18:27

Slight alteration!

Windows dressed up. ........Shutters to make.
The door swings freely upon its paper slit hinge!

It has been a tealightfull day. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 09 Nov 2017, 21:48

And one coffee please! :mrgreen:

Nice building so far! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Nov 2017, 14:23

With Winter Weather on its way,the cosy snug and most agreeable warm hat,
has had its first fitting. :-D

Other soft wood arrived on site a few days ago.

:-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Nov 2017, 18:07

BACK TO ME LITTLE TABLE

Image "BB,will try anything once."

No clay base for this one,as it takes far to long to go hard. So instead of 12 days waiting,i opted for a 12 minute mix of shingle and plaster mix. Mixing the plaster first then filling it completely with shingle and mixing it up and lobbing it on and tapping it down with a small off-cut of wood.

Lovely job. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2017, 01:47

The stone base was a great success,and house number 5 is finished and all have bases,but the last one i did is by far the best. So i highly recommend that for those wanting very quick solid bases.

Image"Hi guys a little news"

Now because we have builders teams about the house again,and gas fitters installing our way overdue heating upgrade,i will have to put this project on hold until a better less noisy dusty time. Other ongoing building work will last a few more days yet. Above all we have made new friends with the work crews and have had some great company and lots of fun. We will miss them all when the work is finally finished,as they all seem to be our own Boys. It is strange how a bound can happen over just a few short days with total strangers,and i can only liken it to my Army Service days of my younger active life.
For a few more days Mrs B,and i will be making tea and strong coffee,and lots of sandwidges ,and providing cake and biscuits for all the boys on site. Well they are doing splendid work and are well worth our extra hospitality. :-D They have also befriended Bella our dog with great delight.

Hopefully we can reconstruct and refit the Honey Well Railway room as a fair chunk of it including shelving had to be taken down and stashed elsewhere. Lots of boxes and model buildings are on top of our wardrobe. A forth of my collection of boxed sets now reach up to the ceiling from there.

I am so glad that the whole layout was designed by us and each little section can come apart so easily without damage. In a couple of days i will be up and running trains and just chilling out while the entire house is being repainted. Bliss!

Of course i will still be able to visit the Forum,as it is part of my happy life. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2017, 05:25

I just managed to finish the job. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 12 Nov 2017, 13:34

WOW, looking good Paul.
Your'e up ahead my project, let's hope these gas fitters will delay your project a few years, so I can catch up hahaha.
No, but serious, a job well done at my favorite following post, keep up the good spirit my friend!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Peter on 12 Nov 2017, 21:40

I'm releaved. I first thought that the base was your cookie belonging with the tea! :mrgreen:

Looks real good Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Nov 2017, 14:17

Crunch!!!! My last two teeth just fell to the floor Peter! BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2017, 01:32

THE PALISADE

Plastic String.

It retains a good rope-like appearance.

A dribble of super glue was applied to each cross over knot.

Balsa Wood being soft is easier on my hands when cutting the points. Indentations : a notch allows for the single knot to fit into when the string is pulled rather tight.

The stringing hobby-work was slow going but highly enjoyable.

Each piece was wire brushed to create roughed out groves to the wood.
A split here and there is no cause for alarm as it adds a certain quality of character.

There are good illustrations in the Asterix Cartoons that show what the palisade looked like,it having been interlocked stake to stake with roped. So i have tried to assimilate that design as best as i can.
There will be quite a few stretches required to fill a five and a half foot table. So this ongoing stringing proceeds at a snails pace.

I just want to add,that this is a toy and not a something historically correct.
:mrgreen: "Cut the rope and it all falls apart." :eh: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by stenfalk on 19 Nov 2017, 22:12

When i read in this thread and i see this lovely cute work, sometimes i get annoyed that i'm quite old. I wish i was a child again, then everyone would understand better why my eyes are bright and i'm full of delight. :love: :love: :love:
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Dad's Army on 19 Nov 2017, 23:03

Hey Paul,

I am still looking for the palisade, but like this balsawood type a lot.
It must be a hell of a job making the points ant the curves for the rope.
But the result is fantastic, like it a lot!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Nov 2017, 02:50

Torsten,
i`m glad you find delight in some of my staves as they twist and turn. One is never to old to play the game of hobbies. I wish i could create cute animals the way you do.
Remco,
i am very pleased that you have found interest in my palisade it is very easy soft work,and I think everyone can sharpen a pencil and tie a knot in a piece of string.

There are two completed sections of 27 stakes each,and i have four more of that size to make up.
Each cost £4.45 to make. ( I already had the string and glue in my stash! )Balsa is not cheap to buy,but is easy on the hands where cutting points is concerned. So the total for 162 stakes is £26.07 UK Sterling for stockade.

A fleeting glimpse of the comic book style palisade in background.

I am now awaiting deliveries before i can proceed upon this plotted course.
So i will be making other stuff up in the meantime. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress