Work in Progress

The Asterix scratch building project.

Posted by FredG on 11 Jul 2017, 16:18

Yes BB, he does look a little familiar.

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 12 Jul 2017, 11:52

He's showing his age a bit though, his red hair is turning grey.

Beano Boy wrote:The work ongoing is limited as I can only perhapes spare an hour or two from my busy day....
Beano Boy actually means comic book fun,

But what you do with that hour or two is always quite remarkable and I always enjoy seeing it.

As for comic book fun, all this talk of Asterix has prompted me to dig this out of the bookcase :-D

Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Jul 2017, 13:11

That`s the friendly humorous style FredG & Graeme that i like. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank`s for making my day. :thumbup:
:sst: " sure is a great looking book.",said the little button.
:read: " Ya, i`d love to bite into a few pages myself." said the hungry Bookworm! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Jul 2017, 01:16

I will try to explain best as i can this procedure i have formulated myself. ;-)
More work has been ongoing yesterday on forming the ridge line on the roof.
Gradually forming a tapered ridge sloping down from each end, whereas the middle section being nearly a third of the actual roof is finished.

I formed the higher fronts then overlaid it with a tapered length of hemp stuck into place,and which formed an overlapping fringe. It is a slow process and requires i do this several times before i am happy with the designed comic book look i have put upon this build. Each overlapped piece is not twisted during this stage of the work. Twisting at this stage forms bumps on the top making it much harder to lay the next course neatly into place. It is stuck into place by white glue,however the top is wet down with watered down glue with a dip of soap added to the mix. This helps breaks the surface area of the dry hemp allowing it to soak through the layers.It is dabbed on by brush. So it soaks into the unglued top part,because no way can you brush loose hemp with the thick glue. That can be applied once the wet stuff has fully dried, and so the process of repetitive raising of the slopping ridge line continues. One layer at a time allowing each to dry out first. To do otherwise by lumping stuff on top of wet layers would mean the roof would take ages to fully dry out. __________Weeks!

Slowly the curve from the flat finished middle section of the roof to each raised end is being formed. Two more tapered layers and this job will be done and dusted after a tidy up trim.
Nearing the end now,and the base is the next thing that needs designing and casting up in stone.
There is never a dull day here in Fiddle Wood. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Jul 2017, 19:34

A classic emotive picture.
It stirs the imagination.

Below one of my ideas invoked by a cartoon picture nears completion.

One more course to overlap then the entire top can be dressed up and finished.

:coffee: 45 hours work on the roof so far.
It`s been a long road to carry on,but the learning curb has been one of enlightenment.
More complex thatching work is now made possible,and much more quicker.
I guess it is all about pushing ones boundary`s ? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by stenfalk on 24 Jul 2017, 20:40

The roof looks really good, the work has definitely paid off!
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jul 2017, 03:28

Thank you Torsten, :thumbup: Yes the work every minute of it has been very rewarding.
It is the wondering pathway of self taught fun that truly counts. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jul 2017, 20:20

A classic picture is very helpful for the average scratch-builder. ;-) Me!

As for this one,I should actually finish this tomorrow,
but for now i await the watered down glue to dry. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jul 2017, 13:56

It was a brilliant day and it saw me apply the last few pieces to the ridge.

I logically looked these last few parts over and decided to run the ridge line along the entire middle section first, and then split two lengths up the middle which were stuck into place at either end. These needed placing this way because the ends required quite a thickness to them. Far to much to finish the work all in one go and make a neat job of it . So looking at the pictures you can see much better than i can fully explain.

With the other end finished ,here we go with placing the last piece of this haystack puzzel.

As you can see all went according to the plans that lay within my head.

With watered down white glue soaked into the entire top ridge it will soon go rock hard.
So this part of the project is well done and truely dusted.
:sst: "the roof is finished."
Now I need to scribe out a large clay base for this building to sit upon. I can then use it as a master pattern to mould it in rubber. So other bases can be quickly cast up if and when needed.

I hope some of you who have followed along this long and winding roadway, like the look of this Doogle! I mean this rather fluffy roof ? :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jul 2017, 19:02

BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ben90 on 29 Jul 2017, 20:08

That is pretty cool!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jul 2017, 12:33

Thank you Ben90. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jul 2017, 12:34

Image "Imm, get it right BB.

Overhead eyes interested in shapes and forms and comic-book styles are always watching,
which by the way is very much to my liking. :-D

AIR DRYING CLAY

I decided upon an easy quick build on these two Asterix type buildings,and although not having built dwellings before with air drying clay i found this over laying random stone higgledy-piggledy pattern quite to my liking. Chaotic disorder,yes best describes it.
I had bought a huge bag of that clay years and years ago,and it being sealed up in a plastic bag of magnitude,well it was still wet as the day it was mixed up.

Tip`s based upon the first use of it.

Wrapped in plastic bags until the next day to stop it drying out to much,so tools can be used to define each large boulder laid upon each other that needed that sort of touch up.

Reinforced wire pushed into the base and covered.

Reinforced by pushing in cocktail sticks right through the courses after they had been laid. One might say, "Overkill", but better to be safe than sorry later. I angled some of the sticks to give a much better support structure too.

A stone lintel reinforced with wire was placed over each window and the entrance too,just like one would do upon a real build. Be it a model, a crude toy or a real building the same method of mathematics applies.
Another three courses were laid on top after this picture was taken and half sized cocktail sticks were stuck through these newly laid pieces .

The stick ends were covered over,and the floor was tidied up, any finger marks visible as seen in the photograph were simple to brush out. So guys,i feel all good tips provided upon needs and requirements covered.

Now I will tidy up the stone work and make plans on how to construct the roofs,these will be overlaid with plumbers hemp. The triangled roofs can be seen in the picture above with smoke rising up from their tops which is good intel on construction shape and details needed. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by stenfalk on 31 Jul 2017, 12:39

This is so cute!!! :love: :love: :love:
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Aug 2017, 22:53

Thank you kindly Torsten, :thumbup:
Cute: is pretty in an endearing way so i gladly settle for that praise. :-D

The roundhouses are drying out nicely and i will soon be able to turn them upside down in order for the bases to fully dryout.

I find this pattern becoming more and more appealing as i contemplate the next stage in all this tongue in cheek fun. One has to imagine that you are looking down upon the un-thatched roof of one of the roundhouses to fully grasp my idea.
However i am wondering about the smoke hole in the dead centre. ;-)

A circle rim would do the trick,but i need to think more upon it. ;-) BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2017, 22:51

As the roundhouses dry out further in the fresh air in the garden.

It was time to work a little bit more on the thatched longhouse.

So with watered down white glue the front and its inner edges were soaked to dripping point.

Only one end at a time can be worked on in this fashion. So it is good i keep busy with other ongoing projects. The other end will be soaked tomorrow.
Once i decide what perminant style the roof will take,then the entire roof each side a little at a time will also be wet to dripping point. Then left to harden off as solid as rock.

With this entire end wet through i smoothed the underside down ,and this will allow the stone section to slip into place without obstruction from this fluffed up stuff. Raised up meant eventually some dripped back into tub`s.

That glue which lay upon the glass top was soon whipped up. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2017, 22:52

PERMANENT!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Aug 2017, 22:56

The whole roof was hardend off using diluted PVA Glue. A drop of soap was added to the water, and the glue added and stirred up. This mixture soaked in well as the surface area was broken. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Wiking on 06 Aug 2017, 05:52

Lot of work for the small Asterix people. Hope that they praise it to you.

I too use a glass top. Several advantages.

For future plans I need a roof as you do for the longhouse.
Good to see how you made it.
:-D
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Aug 2017, 14:02

Thank you for commenting Wiking.
The two round roofs are ongoing now.BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress