Work in Progress

The Asterix scratch building project.

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Jun 2017, 22:45

I decided to make the chimney in clay,so i will be working on that this week.

The glue will dry clear soon.

Work on the outside roof now begins. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jun 2017, 16:01

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

HAY PRESTO HERE WE GO

Both under, on top and around each Eve was tackled first. Which meant the work of straighten bend and fluff out work could continue upon this well spread out darkness. The next float away cload overlaps the bend so it it remains unseen,except for this disorderly display. :mrgreen:

Bent over by the half way point forms a good stay-put method of attaching this stuff on. So lots of A`s are overlapped and stuck on with good quality P V A Glue. Leaving it thick and fluffy as if it could float away aimlessly upon the slightest breeze.

After three hours work today upon this puzzlement,the bottom was trimmed but left overlapping a wee bit. Now a small break is needed,and then more flax has to be prepared before proceeding onward into the far-out reaches in this lofty Asterix, endeavour. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 19 Jun 2017, 21:35

3 hours, thats a lot of work....
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jun 2017, 23:53

Yes a long time cutting and sticking,but I expect with constant repetition i will speed up.
After all i have never had experience of this kind of applying a haystack to a toy building. ;-)

:coffee:"Of course there are many options that give quicker results."
:read: "BB`s,Glue, Plaster, Sand & Soap Method! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: "That`s crazy!"
:sst: "one just taps it on.dip tap tap tap with a card."
:cowboy: "Artificial fur."___ :affraid: "Yuk! "
:mrgreen: " Off the peg stuff in a bag. A real challenge opening that bag."
:read: "Washing Up Scourer`s. I have seen nifty models made with this stuff."
:winky: "Funky sit down Foam."
:eh: " Thick Cotton Towel`s! "
:cowboy: " Hairy Hemp String." :sst: "this is very dry so a little damp is best applied."
:mrgreen:"Dunk It in water."__ :sst: " cut, dip in white glue,and roll it out on the roof"
:joker: " Overlapping each proceeding course." __ :sst: " or quicker still get someone to do it for you."
:mrgreen: " Why not a very wet sponge and a packet of Cress?" ___ :-D " I like that."___ :thumbup:"Ya!"

:coffee: "Or my own Fork Method to stipple on an overlapping simple smile.I will be creating roof castings for some build`s,however this Boris Johnson, look I am enjoying doing,and I await to see the completed job growing away, as if it were part of the waterlogged fen lands of flat East Anglia."
:cowboy: "A bold move." ___ :mrgreen: " A step in the dark."
:sst: " o, no not the dark?"___ :read: " Not knowing what the outcome might be."

:mrgreen: " With a dogs collar and lead BB,could take it for walks."

:coffee: "It is the challenge of the whole thing.Like wading out into deep water for the very first time wearing rubber boots. " :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 24 Jun 2017, 13:50

Well Paul, we are a lot of hours further, so how far are you now?
Looking forward to your next steps :P
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Jun 2017, 14:56

Seven hours later since the first fluffed up flax was stuck on,one side has been thatched thick and plentiful without skimping. Doing other stuff meant i could have a break before tedium had a chance to set in. So I did a patch and took note of the time it took and jotted it down. The ridge upon the top can only be put into place once the other side comes up likewise into speck. ( Meaning set apart but Equal )

Here i show my comic style chimney of air drying clay. I have no such skill concerning the work,but i determined the important shape that i wanted. Several twisted pieces of wire i use for making tree`s was pushed into the shaped clay and then scribing out the stone-work was next. My first ever attempt at such a bendy this way, and then that way thing.

:mrgreen: Free Floating Ideas

The chimney`s are not to be stuck into place on any scratch-build, but free to be placed elsewhere at the slightest whim. Which as i see it is a universal freedom of choice when playing with these toys. Likewise lift off roof`s mean they can fit onto different designed fronts fixed to bases, and free standing side buildings extending out from the A Framed Roof can also be simply placed. Like the Black Smithy,and Fish Shop.
So with enough free floating parts made the playful scenes are endless.

This larger style build is an open doorway of thinking patterns,but a need to scale down slightly is needed. The tree-house type lookout platform interests and my version is ticking over in my over active mind. That is for a later date though,as i have huge temples to build and story`s that will relate to them. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Dad's Army on 24 Jun 2017, 16:05

Looking good, and the chimney is like in the comic books, awesome work again!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ben90 on 24 Jun 2017, 22:30

Lovely!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jun 2017, 05:12

A notice of concern.
I am having trouble being able to post pictures at present,as my free Photoimage Site,seems to have gone Kaput! All i get now is a locked out white out Error Page. Not wishing to download their required new app and pay access to my photograph`s,i am seeking out other ways and Sites to continue posting freely here. I hope already posted pictures here do not vanish into the unseen mist of the Internet. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by jeffreythancock on 25 Jun 2017, 22:39

Ferpect! But where are the menhirs?
jeffreythancock  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jun 2017, 00:38

Here they are pointed true and proper.

jeffreythancock,hopefully you can see i made my own years ago?

I also scratch-built the stone quarry years ago too,and within its secret location Obelix,is chipping away busy supplying those menhirs before the sky falls down upon them.

Here is a very rare Obelix.

Above is the pose most common to toy collections. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jun 2017, 14:33

The moulded `A Frames', were never cast up,it being the case i made those already seen put into place by hand. So although the idea was sound, production did not take place. I believe in order to avoid confusion that any change of plans is fully explained. :-D OK?

IN THIS ONWARD PART

I just popped over from my Rubber Mould tutorial,to place another added footstep of stone to this meandering scratch - build of Asterix the Gaul type fun.

With a very stormy overhead sky,but myself far from being gloomy. These were all cast up today.
The tiny dormer window will fit any Asterix building, as the side stone walls are set in the same sloop angle as the roof. Which means when the pieces are fixed together using silicone the frontage of the window will remain most upright and true. If i decide to change the angle of roof upon other buildings and wish to use the gabled window again, then new side stepping walls will be designed , moulded and filled for that requirement.

What finer sight to set a gaze upon than figures cast up especially to look out from such a window.
All leftover stuff from pouring other stuff was used to make my little tree`s and these tiny figures.
A much better plan than filling the landfill bin with waste.

So work is still ongoing on lots of stuff,but posting free pictures is becoming a problem. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Jun 2017, 01:05

The Black Smiths & Fish Trader Multipurpose castings
. :mrgreen: "He He! As Remco,would often sound out."

I have four in total,so another two for other traders.

The out side walls i am presently working on between doing the Boris Johnson make over on the roofing project. :mrgreen:

:sst: " things are staking up nicely now in fiddle wood."
____ :cowboy: "YAH-WHOOOO! And cheap as chips to make."
___ :eh: " EH! What about the tree-house?"
:read: "Well you have a go at drawing it,and perhaps BB,might consider making it?
:eh: " EH! zzzzzzz!"_____ :mrgreen: " He`s back to sleep."

Well it`s been a busy day.
I hope to see you guys later. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 28 Jun 2017, 21:56

Beano Boy wrote:The Black Smiths & Fish Trader Multipurpose castings
. :mrgreen: "He He! As Remco,would often sound out."

I have four in total,so another two for other traders.

Just make from the other 2 a Henerix & Maurix for the woman in the village, and a McDonnix to get something to drink and eat Paul :mrgreen:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jun 2017, 13:21

Just beyond the nearly finished roof top,the other side welcomed the first glimmer of Flax placed upon it,and so it was last night that the Plumbers Hemp was measured by eye and cut to length. It was a good start and as the clock sounded 8 o`clock the first few courses were left to dry out.
An early night of slumber then beckoned ,and so off to snooze land i went.

Upon an early morning rise of 2 o`clock,it saw me once more upon the quest to fluff into place a few more courses, and film the progress for my little Blog and my ever growing channel on You Tube.

And so with the system now fully developed the stuff near flew on by itself, as each little piece was dully tucked into place. There it was upon the first peep of sunrise , a third of the roof was done and well dusted.

Leaving the work until later i noticed its broad fluffed up smile. And so just a little after 4 AM, it the early day saw me typing away elsewhere that which over the years i have grown accustomed to and
all in all it was a good start of my day. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Jul 2017, 15:16

An interest in a higher place seemed to have taken place for at least a few onlookers here within the village take a Goosey Gossey Gander at the work during the odd times that i keep.

And so it was that .......amongst the unpainted excited Gauls there was great celebration as another chimney came into being. " This will certainly keep us warm durring the toasting toe times of mid winter."declared Vitalstatistix, the Gauls Chief. Impedimenta his Wife looked on with a face frowned with doubt at this new invention way ahead of its time. :read: " Fantasy is a wishful place where historical fact can be broken as if mere twigs from other times."

Last night I took time out to watch Doctor Who,then continued until 2 am with the air drying clay,and some more work upon the roof. Concerning this chimney I found that forming the main shape first,then small round balls which were then pressed onto it worked out best for myself.Knowing that the real Gauls were no great builders of chimneys cheered me on no end.
:-D As my limited skill certainly match theirs.
:coffee: " in Sci- Fi & Fantasy,one of course can use historical fact too." :eh: "EH! I`m confused!"
:mrgreen: " Good that`s the main point of pulling both ends of the string in any direction."

Gatifix ,the Druid would continue outside with his Masterly ______________Super cool cooking. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jul 2017, 17:15

I decided to watch a few video`s on You Tube,well before starting work upon my roofing adventure weeks ago. The video`s of real thatching work taking place I took note of and incorporated that system of work in my own scratch-building. The only difference is that instead of metal pins they push in through the Flax,i am using glue upon the main fixing points already shown,thus leaving most of the length free of glue and able to flop into place over the course below gradually building up a thick soft layer, but a super strong waterproof one.

Below an illustration of the three part ridge line system needed to cap the top of my Asterix building. I thought to explain it this simple way rather than showing an end result,because it is the very top of roofs lots have trouble with putting into place. Although this being my first attempt on this type of fun I now feel fully confident as I near this long awaited for finish that all will go as planned. :-D

Tied of course by my mitts.

Two go up against each other and will be fixed in place upon the scratch-build. So several are needed for the entire length.
Now real hairy rope could be used cut into three entire lengths and stuck on.
However wheres the challenge in that ? :-D

Once they are firmly stuck into place the third piece goes naturally on top.
The last few lengths of Plumbers Hemp can be fixed into place up and over the ridge line. That`s the plan although a curved roof shape is needed.

So as I make the three part ridge line up using the same type method as they do on real buildings ,I felt it is time to start on another building. Slightly larger than the first but well fit for my designing needs. Lessons learned from the first build will certainly help along the lines of progress concerning this one where the two fronts of the building are on view above.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ben90 on 04 Jul 2017, 18:59

Great to see some good work here, next to all the argueing in the "Photobucket" topic. Keep it comming!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jul 2017, 19:56

That`s very nice of you Ben90,to comment upon the progress of this fun filled topic. The work ongoing is limited as I can only perhapes spare an hour or two from my busy day. So receiving a comment is very encouraging indeed.

Concerning picture posting I am presently grateful that I can once more use tinypics for free posting. Otherwise would have meant no successful outcome seen here on the Forum of this scratch-building topic.
Beano Boy actually means comic book fun,
and I always try to live up to that defination. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jul 2017, 15:53

I ought to put a collar and lead on this fellow and take it for a walk. Nearing the end knotting now. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress