Work in Progress

The Asterix scratch building project.

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 May 2017, 17:31

Roofing material.

A tongue in cheek start soon. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Dad's Army on 21 May 2017, 19:49

:yeah: Project roof is coming soon I see :mrgreen:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 May 2017, 22:02

Above the long awaited for first dipping of four topsy-turvy buildings.

Yes Remco,all action stations sounded for Norfolk Flax Roofing to commence.

It seems a broad fellow name of Archibald Longbottom Beano, from Britannia, is bringing over a boat load fresh bundled up with hairy string, and also secret plans on how to lay the stuff most water tight.

However within those Reeds a menace lurked safe and snug a plenty in wooly waterproof egg-sacks.

This would be why, and how the Great Norfolk Water Spider spread to Gaul.

Huge hairy legged things they are, and were the size of a very large dinner plate. Known to leave the water and hunt its pray at night in packs ,by the awesome light of the stars. Mostly Sheep,Goats and Long Eared Bunnys, were their main diet. Often the remains of these were found sucked dry as a desert twig by the odd Gaul the following morning.
During many a nights Special Ops,they were eventually stamped out by Romans with flash-lights and rather big hob-nailed boots.
:sst: " thank heavens 4 that",said the tiny button, who never speaks in capitals.

As Gunnar ,removed his Spiders,from his topic,I thought I at least owed you such a creepy hairy tale.

:coffee: Another tall tale,
along with some wooden topped dwellings are also lolly pop planned for later too.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 22 May 2017, 07:54

Actually I removed the scene from the spiders! Haven't touched them! :-D That one looks hairy and scary! Looking forward to see the village! Asterix is one of the classics I grew up reading!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 May 2017, 16:19

It was here within Fiddle Wood,upon the cold freeze of the 6th of January of this year 2017,that Fred plotted out the three shiniest stars in the Orion Constellation.Then just as the ancients did he joined them up. So really the work started there ,and full credit goes to Fred and MayBell, for overseeing the scope of work involved.

So as with the Asterix, Comics, there is also a Sci- Fi Link here too.
How So? A certain party might well ask.
The Gaul`s only feared one thing. That the sky would fall upon them.

TOUTATAS the Gaul God, is a 3 Mile Wide Asteroid, that comes stunningly close to earth.

ROOFING MATERIAL

Easily available on tap one could say. As it is Hemp! I grew some once in our garden, and the boys thought it to be grass." No," i said. However when burning it in the garden everyone in the courtyard seemed very happy that day with constant giggles. Even passers by, were soon in well interested fits of laughing display. Us included.

The Plumbers Hemp is combed out very fine with a state of art tool.

Of course in the story lines it is Norfolk Flax.
I reason if Haystacks can be dressed out in this stuff, like Boris Johnson. Then also such dwellings for toys can be too. Between mild cups of sweet tea that is.
Yes Gunnar, I would indeed love a cinnamon bun. Thank you.
This will be my last posting for while.
While I pile up the layers needed placing elsewhere. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 22 May 2017, 16:31

Last post... no don't stop :mad:
Now you made me curieus of this roof, material looks suberb!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 May 2017, 18:01

A cliff hanger ending? No,, I have not stopped posting Remco. This topic is not shelved.
Building roof tops with window and chimney`s propped into place will take a little bit more time to accomplish. So as each level is recorded and finished then I`ll display it here, and in more detail on my Blog. I fear it might become rather repetitive boring to the many,but I am sure lessons bright or otherwise will be learnt that could benefit scratch builders other than myself.

I have stuff on order, but it comes in wet in a bag and does smell like Horse Pea. So it will be washed and dried, and combed out like in the cartoon pictures. It is a chore ,but using thick dried out string or thick front door matting,or even sand or indeed plaster,is something that I wish not to do,because I have already achieved that. However they could be used for quickness by others. I want it thick and fine like in the cartoon pictures. It at least in my mind will be well worth the building delay to get it foamy right.

:sst:" now there`s a polli ponderment, at no mistake."

So while I await materials to arrive I am doing those Corinthian Columns,my trees, and typing of course. It is never un-busy here in Fiddle Wood. ___________ and time fly`s by so quickly.
Well it is 6 O`Clock and time for Tea,BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 23 May 2017, 09:43

Beano Boy wrote:A cliff hanger ending? No,, I have not stopped posting Remco. This topic is not shelved.

Good to hear :-D

Beano Boy wrote:I have stuff on order, but it comes in wet in a bag and does smell like Horse Pea.

Hmmm sudenly I am less interested, how come :mrgreen:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 May 2017, 11:48

Like in the House that rules I guess the ears have the i`s . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 May 2017, 22:54

I took some time out today after Tea,to formulate other new scribed by pen patterns. This one standing being the Blacksmiths shop, and also for the Fishmonger,and other places of trade. To be set into the sides of buildings creating other busy scenes.

Wooden beams suppoting the stone walls and the floor above with its room and open window,while below a wide open space for each spot of bussiness. The figures seem to agree to like it. There will be stone walls made up soon to extend these buildings out.

Above are more Patterns needed to make up the Blacksmiths chimney, and also for universal chiney`s elsewhere. There is also a pattern for a dormer window frontage that will be set into some of the thatched rooftops. Here they having been glued in place on scrap styrene sheeting,and will be cut out from it tomorrow and fresh moulds for casting them up made.

Work has been ongoing to produce a pattern for roofs, and hopefully I will be able to share that progress with you all soon. I am also now dipping castings into colourwash after I finish typing this. I like how the white dried out castings fizz as they are dipped, and they dry out in seconds once removed from that watered down acrylic stuff. This process seals each casting so no chalky stuff gathered when handling them ever again.
Well that's it for now. I hope to see you guys again soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by sberry on 27 May 2017, 10:40

Everything Asterix is great! (Although I expect that the next volume, being released this year, will be one again not really convincing in terms of plot.)
BTW: Has anybody ever figured out the scale of those Asterix figures? I think they may be close to 28 mm - if this notion of a "scale" is applicable at all here.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Dad's Army on 27 May 2017, 11:37

sberry wrote:BTW: Has anybody ever figured out the scale of those Asterix figures? I think they may be close to 28 mm - if this notion of a "scale" is applicable at all here.

The figures come in 2 different sizes/series. So some figures are in small but also in the greater version.
Hard to tell there scale, cause they all are different.
I guess 25 untit 35 mm.

Beano Boy wrote:Well that's it for now. I hope to see you guys again soon. BB

Big brother is watching you all the time :mrgreen:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 May 2017, 12:40

An interesting question sberry,and I thank you for it.

Asterix is 26mm in height. However the largest figures are 38mm high, and so for myself scratch building ,they the largest figures set the scale for me, as I do not wish large figures and small dwellings.
I am setting windows where any figure can appear to look out with ease,and I always model structures by figure height. That way i obtain door size and window height and the rise of upper windows too like the real buildings around us few take little notice of. So if you look at the size of my simple crude patterns shown, the figures therein the pictures actually set the scale of buildings and are applicable to my build.

Remco, is watching along with others who will hopefully , like the twist in a few of my tall tales.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 May 2017, 21:44

Exploring extra method, using styrene
An easy to do Sample of Roofing.

Added colour effect by PC action to give definition of sample.

Making Patterns.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jun 2017, 20:32

Well here goes: an adventure into making a thick thatched roof the easy way. However first some basic needs, need doing.

A styrene shape was cut out,and then stuck onto a sheet of paper card. The centre line was drawn both on the styrene and paper card. This makes for a good platform to work with.

I left my ruler in the other room,so used the edge of the cutting board to pen the line.
By combining the two materials this is my way to make a swinging hinge that will form the major part of both sides of a roof. The idea is to cut right through the styrene centre line,and then turn this piece over, and just score lightly along the centre line on the paper card. So upon bending the shape carefully that swing developed will make possible the forming of both sides of the roof.
There are a few things needed doing first before that happens,and which will help strengthen the roof and thus retain the shape. I will show how that is achieved later, after I retrieve my needed tools from my workshop.
I hope you follow along, as I might learn a new something along this pathway. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jun 2017, 01:14

This option allows for a sturdy removable roof ,so figures can be placed at windows and doorways.There are possibilities of adding stone floors too.

:sst: " well if you are going to have a lift off you might as well do something inside."

A Frame Roofing Support's , are easily made.

The template above.

This is used to mark out others.

Each A Frame is cut to the size and shape of the stone front of the building.

Then they are glued onto another sheet of paper card .

The cutting board is enough to weight them done flat over night.

:eh: " So many A`s and not as much as one B!"
:mrgreen: " Have you ever seen a scratch-build that looked like a B ?"
:eh: " No,but I ain`t ever seen one that looked like an A, either."

Much More Soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jun 2017, 02:06

Time moves on.

While the roof is being worked on elsewhere the example shown took 5 minutes to create.

The styrene roofing has been textured , and this will be on the inside part of the roof. The work was done in a few minutes using two dinner forks. No skill needed just a stabbing motion

:read: " This very easy look left by using dinner forks can also be on the outside finished look of a thatched roof."

:cowboy: "Ya - Whooo! The work is done in half the time Pards."

:mrgreen: "BB,always uses stuff people the world over have in their homes to do simple tasks."

:read: " Most certainly,these state of the art tools will never be included in modelling tool sets."

:eh: "But what if they only eat banana`s ? "

:sst: " tough i guess?" Replied the little button that never speaks in capitals

" :mrgreen: The work has certainly speeded up.

Drop in again, it is bound to get very interesting soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jun 2017, 17:53

This inner side was inked out first with square guide lines running across.,and with three lines up the middle.
Then the two forks came into play. :-D

:mrgreen: " It`s a bit like pricking Bangers before frying them."

20mins later the effect is achieved.

A channel was cut out along the middle.

Turned over the paper card was lightly scored with a sharp craft knife along the middle inked in line.
The fold was made possible and the double sided roof was eased into shape

A check with one of the stone fronts confirms this part of the build went well. Later the A Frames will glued into place alongside the square guide lines. However more work is planed to shape the outside roof before final gluing up inside begins.
:sst: " I wonder what the roof will look like?"
:mrgreen: " It might well turn out looking like a stretched out A ?"
:cowboy: " Or maybe two A`s and a haystack in between e`m."
:read: " where`s the chimney going ?"
:eh: "Eh,what chimney?"

:-D BB
:sst: " I guess we will have to wait and see? "
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 07 Jun 2017, 18:05

Beano Boy wrote:20mins later the effect is achieved.

Hahahaha, what a lot of work for some nice effect.
Nice tutorial, now don't stop, show me more ;-)
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jun 2017, 00:17

Two sheets were stuck onto the outside of what will eventually be the roof, each reaching the bottom on either side.

The house above is very interesting, but does pose a few problems in construction. So the raised rooftop that sags in the middle will need crafty additions added that will increase the mathematics of this place in order to achieve as close as possible a roof like that in the picture.

A piece of wire is standing it up presently.

Getting the roof right on any scratch-build is the most important and time consuming thing to do.

:eh: "Eh! Why is that?"____ :sst: " because it`s the first thing people see when viewing a modelled toy house." :mrgreen: " Yah! This one will look like Boris Johnson!"

:read: " Well it certainly is a learning curb,that`s for sure."
:cowboy: " Ya! And the padding comes next."
:coffee: " So the shape is gradually forming. That`s it for now it`s time for Tea.
:sst: "thanks for stopping by."

:-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Work in Progress