Work in Progress

17-18 mm figures (ancient gods etc.)

Posted by Phersu on 06 Jan 2017, 12:56

I need some statues to complete the top roof decorations of my ancient temple...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19399&p=212929#p212929
but the temple is relatively small and 1/72 figures would be too big to look nice and realistic... so, after the 1/72 figures of gods etc. I decided to try to sculpt soemthing similar but smaller.

The first step was to prepare the base bodies of the right size, so I made these 3 dollies of 17-18 mm.

Then I casted some resin copies of the dollies and placed them in the right position, and try to sculpt the features, many details are obviuosly limited by the small size and the limits of my skills.

However the effect is not so bad, after all they should represent statues and not real characters, and at least somehow Neptune and Athena and Mars can be recognizable... the others are inspired to other famous statues and supposed to be an Emperor or an important character and Hercules with a club...
Here a comparison with one of my latest 25 mm figures.

Then Aphrodite and Artemis and Hermes...

Another couple of figures are enough to complete the roof decorations of the temple, I think i will try to make a Dionysos and perhaps a Neptune with Cerberus...
Once all ready and painted I'll updte the gallery of the temple.
At that point there will be only the side roof frame decoration all around the roof, to complete the building...
Then there are still to do the 1/72 figures of the characters and the diorama around... a very long work, but the most is done! :-)
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Peter on 06 Jan 2017, 14:35

Looks real nice Leo! And usefull for diorama makers! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Phersu on 08 Jan 2017, 13:46

Peter wrote:Looks real nice Leo! And usefull for diorama makers! :thumbup:

Thank you! ;-)
Yes, not only for the roof of my Etruscan Temple... but definitely suitable for several different sceneries like my previous experiments in smaller scalles (and the recent statues of gods 1/72)

And here comes a Dictator and a smaller version of Dionysos (next to his taller brother) :mrgreen:

Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by sberry on 08 Jan 2017, 14:53

The ancient world was full of statues everywhere - on temple roofs, in public places, gardens, houses ... A lot of this can be simulated by using the available figures in 1/72, but it is nice to have also figures in smaller scales, since not all statues were of life-size.
sberry  Germany

Return to Work in Progress