Work in Progress

New project: Dutch lancer regiment 10

Posted by paul haring on 01 May 2016, 20:27

A new project: A Dutch lancer from the Dutch-Belgian war 1830.
I tried the Sid Horton way. For the young ones: long ago,very long ago ;-) there was a magazine called Airfix magazine. It had a great serie of converting Airfix 54 mil figures: return from Balaclava, Charge of the light brigade.
Sid Horton was a genius in converting the standard figures into figures HE wanted to be. I learned a lot of these articles.

Image

So, I did some plastic-surgery on a horse. I used half a horse from the Polish Lancer and the front half of the Scotts Greys. I also altered the position of the head.
Image

OK, more to come in the upcoming weeks.
paul haring  Netherlands
 
Posts: 136
Member since:
20 Oct 2008, 18:51


Posted by Peter on 01 May 2016, 20:38

Interesting topic to follow! Will you show us the next steps with the pages of the Airfix magazine in the background every time?
User avatar
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator
 
Posts: 17277
Member since:
25 Mar 2008, 18:51

Posted by paul haring on 01 May 2016, 20:46

I won't need the pages anymore, because the major surgery is already done. I am not going to convert the lancer in the same position as in the article. That will be my own cutting and gluing
paul haring  Netherlands
 
Posts: 136
Member since:
20 Oct 2008, 18:51

Posted by k.b. on 01 May 2016, 21:03

Splendid subject Paul and may I say that i also remember the Sid Horton articles in the Airfix magazines. They were truly inspirational but as i came from the isolated north of England and my funds were somewhat limited I had to content myself with dreaming of those 54mm Airfix and Historex figures. I also remember Stan Catchpol's similarly inspirational articles in Military Modelling magazine!
Am certainly going to follow this thread with great interest and might even use it as inspiration for some 1/72 and 28mm conversions of my own! Keep posting Paul and look forward to seeing your work as it develops.
k.b.  Brazil
 
Posts: 575
Member since:
04 Apr 2010, 03:50

Posted by paul haring on 30 May 2016, 18:30

Update lancer no 10 conversion:

Continued working on the horse and figure.
I altered the look of the running horse a bit. Put some MS ( Magic Sculp) below the horse's throat and sanded that in the right way. Otherwise the neck was too thin.
Then the underpainting started; First layer of Humbrol 110, second layer of plain brown ( Winsor and Newton oils) After drying I put a layer of yellow and orange oil paint onto it. This still has to dry and then I'll give the horse several washes with blue, black, sienna and van Dykebrown.
I made a mistake with the saddle. At first I used the saddle of the British Hussar, but I changed with the one of the Polish Lancer. I had different reference pictures, but I wasn't sure about the right saddle.Most pictures were with the French saddle.
The lancer is constructed basically from the Polish Lancer
Torso= Polish Lancer, legs too, face is from Scots greys( open mouth), headgear= basicly Polish Lancer.
I needed a lot of cutting and filling because the position of the Lancer is different from the original one.
The figure isn't sitting right. Have to adjust this.
After all this was done a layer of Humbrol was put on the figure for an even base colour.
Now left to dry for a couple of days
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
paul haring  Netherlands
 
Posts: 136
Member since:
20 Oct 2008, 18:51

Posted by Peter on 30 May 2016, 21:20

That's a real nice progress Paul! And thanks for the step by step! Very interesting! :thumbup:
User avatar
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator
 
Posts: 17277
Member since:
25 Mar 2008, 18:51

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by renikart on 20 Jun 2016, 20:39

Very nice to see your progress. Also very keen to know how you will make the reins.
User avatar
renikart  Netherlands
 
Posts: 54
Member since:
08 Jun 2016, 14:53

Posted by paul haring on 24 Oct 2016, 11:18

Figure is done and ready.Look in the galery
paul haring  Netherlands
 
Posts: 136
Member since:
20 Oct 2008, 18:51


Return to Work in Progress