Work in Progress

Painting The Charbens General

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jan 2016, 13:30

Here we have the vintage Charbens General from the early 1960`s. Being 51 years old he is due a new paint job. Not that he had much of one before. The ladies at the factory just slapped blue for the Yankees and grey for the Rebs. So nothing complacated in that. The rest was the color of the plastic. A cheap toy back in the day,but i never had one. He lay in a garage for over 40 years,and was the color of soot when i came by him when i bought a job lot,and he was in the bottom of the box. Very rare to have found him in this good condition. Usually the sword and the horses tail are missing. Not a good looking toy,but one well worth having in my collection,and I`ve had him a few years now.
I trimmed the top of his hat off which had part of the sprue still attached to it,and as can be seen I stabilized his base by giving it extensions on both sides with Green Stuff which cost about a £1.00 to do,and he`s had two coats of white undercoat. I mixed Humbrol White Gloss,and Revell Semi Matt White paint together,to do my Cyclopes and so having some left over he volunteered.
Which is something Generals tend not to do.
I`ll mend the reins,and then paint him up best as i can. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Feb 2016, 14:15

The eye on the horse just needs inking which will then finish the Charbens General.Well over 50 years old he has for a sure never looked better. However what good is a General without troops to command?

So just a few from the many in the Toy Collection.
Some Colored Americans in the early stages of painting so they will not remain quite so black. I have several hundred of these ,and other toy figures,but the General will have to wait for his whole division to be deployed. Well he`s waited over 50 years so a few more will make little difference.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 13 Feb 2016, 15:36

BB--

You always make the viewing of your unique creations fun by telling their story along with the pictures. This Charbens General has now a white beard reminiscent of one Bob Lee!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Feb 2016, 18:13

Yes,thank you Bluefalchion,General Lee,was my first option,and i know back in the day some were painted in the grey. I considered doing Lee`s horse indeed a Grey,but the jacket on the toy just did not match Lee`s double row of buttons on his uniform. Sure i could add them,but i never convert period piece toys. Although i did ballance the base i deemed that necessary in order to stop his wobble. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 16 Feb 2016, 15:44

Great restoration of this figure! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 16 Feb 2016, 15:51

Oh, yes! Almost my age and he looks way better than I do!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Feb 2016, 02:05

Thanks Guys, your comments are always most welcome. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Work in Progress