Work in Progress

15mm Kit Bashing: Tiger Tanks & Trucks

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Nov 2015, 02:14

These are the Plastic Soldier Company`s, Tiger Tanks They come with figures so I might see,if I can see to paint some of them. A six inch brush for the finer details will do. :shock: I now have three scales of WWII stuff to paint. So I`ll be working on them all at the same time. This will mean a lot less confusion to jolly little old me.

Two are finished,and these you see will be finished real soon. They are a Piece of Cake to assemble.
There are enough spare parts to make up Early Period, Middle Period, and Late Period versions.
So my Scrapheap in Mr Glad Grinds Foundry Yard is going to have lots more added to it.
All the tiny Tiggers,Op`s Tigers are now finished.

Experamentation is the name of the game for some. I`m going to woodstain these and dust them lightly with acylic paint. Then watch as the water based paint reacts with the woodstain as it attacks and melts the plastic. To see what rusty colours do appear. :cowboy: "That sound Crazy BB."

German Trucks next.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by santifernandez on 10 Nov 2015, 09:53

BB,These kits are a good diversion.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 12 Nov 2015, 21:29

Nice and quick Paul! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bramble15 on 13 Nov 2015, 00:52

Looking forward to seeing these completed. Will yours all be similar with respect to the paint or will you try to make them all different.
I know being quick build kits they don't always have all the detail some would like, but I do. I have put together a box of Pz. IV's and really enjoyed them.
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Nov 2015, 16:46

Painting could be slightly different on each tank. The crew having taken to the brush under combat conditions.
Zveda 1/100 T TANK

The great design feature as far as i am concerned,is the track comes in two pieces for each side of the tank,and is slipped into place above and below the wheels and are simply glued together. This feature can be seen cleally in the first pictures. This saves both time and the great effort needed for me to fiddle about with a hot soldering iron fixing rubber track together,while trying very hard not to burn myself. A hurtful thing that comes most natural for clumsy me.

Shots taken under artificial lights,and because the tanks looked blue i decided to show them in B&W for this illustration. In the picture starting from the left are two 1/72 scale T Tanks,then Four 1/76 scale Tanks,and lastly four 15mm T Tanks.

Sorry about the glue hair,it will be cleaned off later.

If you can imagine,and I`m sure everyone can. Looking across open ground,perhaps a very large field,where the ground sloops down and then rolls gradually up hill,and where in the distance Tanks and Trucks of various kinds can be seen,and perhaps some small buildings. The detail would not be visible to the naked eye unless one is looking through a scope of some kind.

The plan is to space the different scales out across a wide table,much larger then my little two foot painting table.So this is just a slight illustration of what i want to achieve. The small 15mm scale in the background will give the illusion of depth on photo`s. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Nov 2015, 16:51

Sorry they are Plastic Soldier Company and not Zveda Tanks,but I do have Panzer IV`s to make up that are produced by Zveda so it will be quite interesting to show them. They were delivered today and the 1/100 15mm scale collection is steadily growing,but looks very compact and neat compared to the other larger size boxes. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 13 Nov 2015, 21:07

Nice looking tanks Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2015, 17:01

I decided to Kit Bash a British 1/100 scale Tank 15mm,and include it here along with others in this topic.

No instructions

Only seven pieces. This ought to be easy for me. I decided to fold up some A 4 Size sheets of paper ,and used it by placing the sprue onto it and cut each piece off. This lessons the vibration caused when cutting. Cut onto a flat hard cutting board and the vibration could break the thin flimsy plastic especially the track around the wheels. This happened when I was removing pieces from another kit.

Easy,it was not,i always screw up the first one because it is always a learning curb.
First i decided to glue the turret pieces together,and i put the glue onto the wrong side. Which was the outside rather than the inside right side. See what happens when there`s no instructions?
Secondly I glued up the hull,only to find out the wheels and combined track could not be aligned with the tiny guide pins. So i resorted to cutting them off,and they were glued perfectly in place.

Below shows where the tiny pins go through the three wheels.

These are snap together kits,so why the glue? The reason being the tiny guide pins and the plastic is very fragile,and should be handled as if glass. Click these things together and then decide to glue them,because they wobble results in the pins breaking off as you remove the pieces.

Showing the tiny pins that easily break off. I opened another box up to show this shot. No instructions again. OK one can reason where what goes ,but it is annoying to say the least.

All in all,i think Kit Bashing is apt for this topic.

The end result a nice tiny tank,and because i know now well the pitfalls involved ,the others should go together quick smart and in orderly fashion. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2015, 18:26

Everyone Can Laugh

I finely found the instructions on the back of the Box!
:shock: "Opp`s!"
:mrgreen: "he he "
:drool: "Well i never!"
:cowboy: " Reminds me of my Horse.The riding instructions were on the under sides of the hoofs!"

:read: "BB What are you Like?"
The advice still stands. :-D

The PANZER IV 15mm

A Little Gem ! From ZVEZDA

It went together perfectly and I can highly recommend this kit. :thumbup:

The German Trucks went together well,but there are no window cut-outs. Any painting advice on the windows would be most welcome. See Ya! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 19 Nov 2015, 08:34

BB, I put a tutorial of how I paint windows in 20mm on my blog

http://willwarweb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/windscreen-painting.html
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 19 Nov 2015, 09:48

We need more tanks overhere :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Nov 2015, 21:21

Thank`s Will,you are a Buddy. :thumbup:
Dalibor more Tanks are coming soon. :thumbup:

:shock: " GULP! More Tanks?"_____ :-D " Don`t Worry So.They are British"
____ :read: "Yip! The Cavalry is Coming."_____ :cowboy: " Yippy! Up and At E`m Boys!" ___ See Ya,BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Nov 2016, 17:08

ZVEZDA, 15mm STUART Tank British Army N Africa 1942

Also in the frame 15mm ZVEZDA, MATILDA British Infantry Tank N Africa 1942

Found these in the Collection today. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 19 Nov 2016, 17:54

And don't forget! The instruction are on the back of the box! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 20 Nov 2016, 17:37

Once more I a flashed by your extensive collection, Paul. It would be a pleasure to see the rooms and rooms full with kits an figs... :yeah: :-D :-D :shock: :shock: :shock: ;-)
MABO  Europe

Return to Work in Progress